who makes the best constructed filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by addyguy
I would have to say the Fram Ultra, just bc the construction style seems to show the least 'effect' from long use.

Most filters use a single layer 'paper' style element, and even if it holds together, it will still often show some distortion in the media. Does not mean the filter doesn't work, but it just shows some movement of the media.

BC the Ultra uses the much thicker, wire backed, dual-layer media, it never shows any 'bending' of the media at all. Even after 20k, the media will be black, but still be the same shape and position.

The can is comparatively thin. about the only downside to that filter.

In an environment where the filter is exposed, it is easily nicked which can lead to rust. or penetrated.

- in a protected environment a thin can works even better with a magnet.

UD

Out of all the commonly available filters, I like the Purolator Boss' construction the best. The Wix XP comes in second, and the Fram Racing third. Honorable mention to K&N.

I like the Royal Purple/Amsoil filters as well.

For cartridges it's gotta be Mann, Mahle, Hengst, Purflux. Made in Korea K&N and Fram take honorable mention.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle

#1 Fram Ultra (cheapest in the eBay 6 pack, can could be stronger)
#7 Fram XG (new ones have silicone ADBV, sometimes pleat spacing shaky)

Might want to clarify # 7 in that you mean their Extra Guard line. The Ultra filters use the "XG" prefix in their part numbers.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
"Best", in my opinion, is the one that can hold up, without tearing, and do it's job for at least the factory OCI, or longer, preferably with a silicone ADBV (that doesn't get chewed up by bad machining/no deburring), for a non-ridiculous price.

Do you know who makes the OE Hyundai cartridge filters? They seem to hold up well for my oci of 4-5k oci.

Mann+Hummel Korea

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

Might want to clarify # 7 in that you mean their Extra Guard line. The Ultra filters use the "XG" prefix in their part numbers.
You're right, I meant EG Fram, not XG.

Originally Posted by JLTD
"Best", in my opinion, is the one that can hold up, without tearing, and do it's job for at least the factory OCI, or longer, preferably with a silicone ADBV (that doesn't get chewed up by bad machining/no deburring), for a non-ridiculous price.
#2 Royal Purple (cost higher, full syn & stronger can)
#3 Fleetguard Stratapore & Venturi (superior filtration, but $$$)
#4 Bosch Distance Plus (strongest can, blend media, hard to find, sometimes eats ADBVs)
#5 Mobil 1 (blend media, still somewhat expensive)
#6 Fram TG (blend media, silicone ADBV)
#7 Fram XG

You forgot Amsoil. Their filters rival the Ultra in filtration, and anything else in construction.
Forgot about Amsoil, they would be right there with RP & Fleetguard syn media filters. I've actually never used an Amsoil filter, but all the pix I've seen look really good.

#4 Bosch Distance Plus (strongest can, blend media, hard to find, sometimes eats ADBVs)
#8 Champ Ecore (decent media, don't push them too far)
#9 Premium Guard & other similar Chinese (lots of media, efficiency not great)
#DEAD LAST Purolator & other tearing Mann & Hummel offerings, which also have nitrile ADBVs that harden fast

#4 is not high efficiency like the OP also asked about.

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
Do you know who makes the OE Hyundai cartridge filters? They seem to hold up well for my oci of 4-5k oci.

Mann+Hummel Korea[/quote]

Some seem to indicate Mann are "bad", curious why that is (i genuinely don't know anything about them)...i use the OE Hyundai cartridge type filter and it appears to be constructed well. (not that I'm any kind of expert in oil filters, far from it). I'll push them to 5k and I've never had one falling apart at the ends and the pleats look evenly spaced even after 4~5k. They also use a rigid inner plastic that seems to hold things together. A lot of the aftermarket filters for this model year do not have (skimp on??) that inner plastic construction.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
Originally Posted by PimTac
Denso

Thanks PT, you're the man.
From what I've seen, that's a reasonable answer, when it comes to construction quality of cartridges. Maybe not so much, as far as efficiency.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
Originally Posted by PimTac

Denso

Thanks PT, you're the man.

Actually it's...

DENSO

lol.gif

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
#DEAD LAST Purolator & other tearing Mann & Hummel offerings, which also have nitrile ADBVs that harden fast

#4 is not high efficiency like the OP also asked about.
Thought he said "best construction", which also means can strength to me, when a truck sees a lot of gravel roads & kicks up debris. I had to change my last XG3600 early due to a good sized dent that was starting to rust under the Sure-Grip. Unfortunately the Bosch DP is only 99% @ 40 microns-still better than a Wix XP/NAPA Platinum.

\Unfortunately the Bosch DP is only 99% @ 40 microns-still better than a Wix XP/NAPA Platinum.

Wix XP - Oil Filter Laboratory Test Performance per ISO 454812 32 grams dirt (51515XP), 99% efficient at 35 microns (Based on 51515XP 51356XP, 57060XP).

Stick to Orginal equipment and you will be fine.... I personally think they are the best for your car.. Remember car manufactures perform many tests to see what filters work best for a reason...

As far as branding.. I have noticed that DENSO trusted name that is nearly identical and is a OEM to most cars on the road... I think its called DENSO first time fit.

Last edited:
Stick to Orginal equipment and you will be fine.... I personally think they are the best for your car.

They may be good for your car, but probably not the "best constructed." Oil filters are pretty simple things and most are very similar in design and construction. As long as you purchase the correct one for your vehicle I have no doubt that any one you purchase off the shelf at any auto parts store would provide more than sufficient protection for the life of the engine if you follow OCI recommendations. There may be some slight gain in going to a better built filter, but it is awfully hard to measure or else we would be seeing all the major companies touting their tests of two identical cars driven with different filters, showing the results.

What's the difference between Fram Ultra (#1), and the Fram XG (#7)? I though they were the same.

Originally Posted by JerryBob

What's the difference between Fram Ultra (#1), and the Fram XG (#7)? I though they were the same.

He means Extra Guard (orange can). You are correct Ultras are XG whereas Extra Guards are PH. The Extra Guards recently introduced the use of an Silicone ADBV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back