Interesting observation Hyundai Tuscon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Originally Posted by edyvw
t is hard for people to understand that who never owned German vehicles. Put comfort on a side.
My VW Tiguan feels like a tank compared to Toyota a got, and my BMW X5 I traded in for Toyota felt like a tank compared to Tiguan.
Not to mention that BMW with 110k did not have one single indication of wear on steering wheel, leather surfaces, dashboard etc. I got Toyota with 41k, and steering wheel is already showing wear, leather surfaces are kind of wrinkly, and built quality compared to VW and especially BMW is non existent. It is like riding in beer can. And this is Limited edition that was $46K brand new. While BMW was $70k new, Tiguan was I think (I got it used) $32K new, and still looks like brand new car with 75k miles.

Interesting numbers that you report there. Carmax has a 2015 BMW X5 with 27k miles for only $33k. Which is probably what you paid for your 2015 Sienna with more miles on it. So the X5 depreciates faster than an empty can of beer. Which is quite odd since the SUV market is so hot right now. Plus Carmax is usually very high on their prices so a nice one can probably be found for under 30k which is new Tiguan territory.

https://www.carmax.com/car/16631568

This is exactly the point.
High end German cars have always had high depreciation even when they really were all made in Germany, unlike the X5 or the Mexican VWs.
This is what makes a used Mercedes or BMW such a tempting buy.
Even certain Porsche models depreciate rapidly, the Panamera being a good example of this. VW has also offered some very costly models that can now be bought on the cheap.
If you really want a German high-end car, they can be had quite cheaply as used cars. For less than what I paid for our last three Japanese brand cars we could have been rockin' high-zoot Teutonic iron and one of the nice things about German cars is that they usually don't look dated for years, so nobody knows that you're really driving an older used ride. OTOH, there is far more potential for mechanical catastrophe with one of these than with a new Subie or Accord, although the reality doesn't live up to the value-depressing expensive to own hype in our experience with aging Benaes and BMWs.
Really pretty solid cars for those who know a little more than those who think they do and there are plenty of online forums for each to help any prospective buyer sort out the more desirable models.

For a DIYer, these are solid buys. But if you have to rely on someone else to fix them, you better bend over. They will skin you alive.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
For a DIYer, these are solid buys. But if you have to rely on someone else to fix them, you better bend over. They will skin you alive.

Sure, but any prospective buyer can easily educate himself on what breaks and the parts costs and skinned knuckles involved in fixing it.
In my experience, parts for BMW and Mercedes cars aren't all that awful and there are a number of online sellers of quality parts at decent prices.
Even dealer only parts aren't that badly priced for these cars and there are a number of dealers who sell discounted OEM parts online.
Anyone who can't stomach the idea of getting dirty should spend some effort in finding a good indie shop.
At the end of the day, a Mercedes or BMW is not so much different from a Honda or a Chevy to an experienced wrench with an Alldata subscription.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
t is hard for people to understand that who never owned German vehicles. Put comfort on a side.
My VW Tiguan feels like a tank compared to Toyota a got, and my BMW X5 I traded in for Toyota felt like a tank compared to Tiguan.
Not to mention that BMW with 110k did not have one single indication of wear on steering wheel, leather surfaces, dashboard etc. I got Toyota with 41k, and steering wheel is already showing wear, leather surfaces are kind of wrinkly, and built quality compared to VW and especially BMW is non existent. It is like riding in beer can. And this is Limited edition that was $46K brand new. While BMW was $70k new, Tiguan was I think (I got it used) $32K new, and still looks like brand new car with 75k miles.

Interesting numbers that you report there. Carmax has a 2015 BMW X5 with 27k miles for only $33k. Which is probably what you paid for your 2015 Sienna with more miles on it. So the X5 depreciates faster than an empty can of beer. Which is quite odd since the SUV market is so hot right now. Plus Carmax is usually very high on their prices so a nice one can probably be found for under 30k which is new Tiguan territory.

https://www.carmax.com/car/16631568

Depreciation absolutely does not interest me. I am buying cars I feel and need to drive. Hence, I needed minivan, otherwise there is no way this atrocity of vehicle would ever found way into my garage.
So, let me give you numbers.
I paid used X5 in 2015 (car was 2013) 42K. Sport package, diesel all things inside. I could not care less for those things except seats, and thick steering wheel. GPS? I never turned on. Anyway, traded in for 16K with 110k on the clock. Depreciated? Yes, but could not acre less. Was worth every penny. Every morning I would sit in that car I was genuinely looking forward to drive it. Skiing? Always went back roads as it was longer but more fun drive.
Tiguan has 75k, how much is it worth? Maybe 7k if I am lucky. Would I sell it? [censored] NO! As far as I am concern it could be worth 1K, it is 10X vehicle Toyota Sienna is.
How much I paid Sienna? 28K with 41k on the clock. How much it will be worth when I dump it? Probably I will get my money back and than some! Is it worth it? NO!
You see I work to live, not other way around.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by fdcg27
I took my 2007 Audi A6 for the Takata aibag recall. The loaner vehicle is a new Hyundai Tuscon. What is interesting is that while this car is brand new, my 11 year old A6 with 232k miles on it is still more comfortable and more pleasant to drive.

But the Tuscon is roomier.

It is hard for people to understand that who never owned German vehicles. Put comfort on a side.

We've had four Benzes and a pair of BMWs thus far and while they were all well-made and solid cars, their superiority to other cars is not what it was twenty years ago. Any number of modern Japanese brand cars have solid structure and unflappable road manners.
A modern BMW or Mercedes is as much about the badge and the name as it is about any actual superiority in the diving experience.
If anyone wants to try a BMW, Audi, Mercedes or even some Porsche models, they're available cheap enough used, as has long been the case.

I think two of us have different understanding what are road manners.
If you call excessive torque steer on AWD car "road manners," we live in different worlds.
My Tiguan is superior (and TRULY superior) in every aspect to Sienna, except practicality.

So, the article started out about a Tuscon and 90 percent of the results are about German cars. How did that happen...hmmm

edyvw, the same way depreciation doesn't matter to you, "fun to drive" may not be important to others. Individual priorities vary.

My "interesting observation" is that I have yet to drive or ride in a small or large SUV that I personally would like as my own vehicle. None of them ride or handle as well as ordinary compacts or sedans. I suspect I would feel the same if I was comparing German high-end SUVs to German cars. I think the OP is comparing Apples and Oranges.

A new Tuscon is about 22,000 bucks or so with discounts n such...My ancient Buick LeSabre is a 2005,,it still runs ok and no back up camera,,Im the back up camera...my buick gets about the same mileage...rides just as good..but someday I might need a another car,,,,but the stuff out there, IDK...73 year old guys are most likely not a big market mover buyer type..imho.

I'm surprised an Audi made it over 200k miles.
crazy2.gif

Why is it surprising? They are quality built cars.

I think these cars get a bad rep because of the ripoff dealers.

Not a lot of love on BITOG for Hyundai products.

Just Crown Vics........

My 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe XL just hit the two year mark-and 24,000 miles. GREAT-thus far.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MarkM66
I'm surprised an Audi made it over 200k miles.
crazy2.gif

It will, easy.
It will not in hands of those that lost their way behind steering wheel.

comparing an 07 Audi6 to some Hyundai Tucson is beyond me; on the other hand, people are buying different reasons, some for a status, some for efficiency, some for long trips, some for hauling, warranty, resale value etc etc; this is why you see a veriety of them on the road...

recently one of my cousins bought '16 X5 e40 with 30K miles on the odometer, so it is a plugin hybrid, OTD price $42K; to me that's is so selfish and self centered but hey its his money and he wants to look good and I understand that; however, he cannot look down on others that drive $2k cars for example; so just as someone said earlier, everyones situation is different, with different needs and preference; thus we all drive different vhiecles

My mistake. Good to know. I always liked the looks of Audi's, but wasn't so sure about their reliability. I'm sure some models/options are better than others.

Thanks

Originally Posted by MarkM66

My mistake. Good to know. I always liked the looks of Audi's, but wasn't so sure about their reliability. I'm sure some models/options are better than others.

Thanks

As usual, reliability of European cars is measured by testimony of a boyfriend of a second cousin friend.

Originally Posted by miden851
comparing an 07 Audi6 to some Hyundai Tucson is beyond me; on the other hand, people are buying different reasons, some for a status, some for efficiency, some for long trips, some for hauling, warranty, resale value etc etc; this is why you see a veriety of them on the road...

recently one of my cousins bought '16 X5 e40 with 30K miles on the odometer, so it is a plugin hybrid, OTD price $42K; to me that's is so selfish and self centered but hey its his money and he wants to look good and I understand that; however, he cannot look down on others that drive $2k cars for example; so just as someone said earlier, everyones situation is different, with different needs and preference; thus we all drive different vhiecles

Why you think he bought BMW for status? BMW were always MUCH better cars to drive than pretty much anything in the class they belong.
So, what makes you think cousin bought that for neighbors to look at? It could be, but that is not the case universally just because people buy cars like that.
For example, I will never understand why would someone buy Toyota Camry and not good used Audi for example? Should I draw conclusion that they a. do not have clue about cars (as driving Camry is same as driving in public transportation) and b. they are too cheap, so they must ship aways from their kids too? Should we assume that?

For example, I will never understand why would someone buy Toyota Camry and not good used Audi for example? Should I draw conclusion that they a. do not have clue about cars (as driving Camry is same as driving in public transportation) and b. they are too cheap, so they must ship aways from their kids too? Should we assume that?

I'm not even sure what you are asking...

Question: what has a lower TCO, Camry or Audi? Make sure to toss in roads with potholes and then road salt also.

Originally Posted by supton

I'm not even sure what you are asking...

Question: what has a lower TCO, Camry or Audi? Make sure to toss in roads with potholes and then road salt also.

Early start on the weekend is my guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back