Any interest in an Oil stocks/investment thread on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With WTI back in the lower 50's, it's a good time to buy almost any oil/oil services stock. Not sure if any of you in here have any knowledge that could be helpful beyond what can normally be figured out with some diligent research online? I have traded different oil stocks for years with good success. I usually focus on Devon, Apache, Anadarko(not anymore), Halliburton, National Oilwell Varco. Eying DVN closely right now. HAL and NVO also looking like good buys based on the charts. But there are always outliers. 5-6 years ago I tripped over a little stock that Royal Dutch Shell was interested in and ended up nearly doubling my money. I can't even remember the name anymore.

With the amount of brand loyalty and personal preferences that pervade this board, anyone trying to make fiscally responsible decisions would do well to avoid this thread like the plague.
cheers3.gif

Having an interest in oil and filters is one thing...

Managing the diversification of my portfolio is another altogether.

IMHO, I have avoided energy stocks that can "boom or bust" depending on new technologies (fracking) or field exploration & development. They have just been to volatile for lil' ol' conservative investor me. The huge oil crash in Houston in the 1980's kind of scared me off from ever putting too many eggs in that basket. the amount of wealth that was lost was staggering.

Then there was Enron.... enuff said.

I tend to stay with "what I know", so I have a lot of investments in different aviation, materials, automotive, and military contractor companies.
My biggest focus right now is closely watching what real estate has been doing, as I'm working myself into rental properties.

I am surprised some of the brand loyalists here aren't invested in their favorite brand.
smile.gif

If I had 200 shares of RSD-a I would get enough dividends in year to pay for all the Shell V-Power gasoline I bought last year
smile.gif

200 shares now would be about a $12,000 investment.

About 60 shares, $6000 of Phillips66 stock dividends would pay for all the Red Line oil I bought last year
smile.gif

Last edited:
In a somewhat different trajectory I see that Sinclair branded gas stations are enlarging their marketing area. Quite the buzz with the dinosaur statues outside their stations in California.

When my parents passed I inhearated the royalties they got from an oil well in Texas. I own something like 1/5th of 1/2 of 1 percent. It pays me about $45 per month.

My wife invested a small amount in a oil well in Israel. No thing has became of that yet.

Oil is boom or bust . Has been for years .

I have seen / lived through 3 cycles , best I remember .

I was told as a kid , Domestic was $ 5 a barrel and Foreign was $ 3 delivered in Houston . Gas , at the cheapest station was around $ .25 a gallon . When I was in grade school , Dad was paying $ .06 - $ .08 a gallon for propane ( non taxed for farm use ) .

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
When I was in grade school , Dad was paying $ .06 - $ .08 a gallon for propane ( non taxed for farm use ) .

^^ YES ^^

The old timers in central Texas said Propane was free for the hauling - you just had to pay the transport costs.

Lots of propane powered equipment from 80 years ago in these parts.

My broker Jordan Belfort, over at Stratton Oakmont, handles all my investment decisions. ......‚

Originally Posted by shanneba
I am surprised some of the brand loyalists here aren't invested in their favorite brand.
smile.gif

If I had 200 shares of RSD-a I would get enough dividends in year to pay for all the Shell V-Power gasoline I bought last year
smile.gif

200 shares now would be about a $12,000 investment.

About 60 shares, $6000 of Phillips66 stock dividends would pay for all the Red Line oil I bought last year
smile.gif

I would tell you how much Phillips66 pays per share in dividends, but my logins are on my desk computer that I rarely ever use, I didn't buy Phillips66, I was givin the shares when Conoco Phillips spun off Phillips66, but I seriously doubt its over %5.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Having an interest in oil and filters is one thing...

Managing the diversification of my portfolio is another altogether.

IMHO, I have avoided energy stocks that can "boom or bust" depending on new technologies (fracking) or field exploration & development. They have just been to volatile for lil' ol' conservative investor me. The huge oil crash in Houston in the 1980's kind of scared me off from ever putting too many eggs in that basket. the amount of wealth that was lost was staggering.

Then there was Enron.... enuff said.

I tend to stay with "what I know", so I have a lot of investments in different aviation, materials, automotive, and military contractor companies.
My biggest focus right now is closely watching what real estate has been doing, as I'm working myself into rental properties.

Not sure why your scared of Oil if you own Automotive, Aviation, Military. Big oil companies, the real big Oil can weather just about any disaster that can possibly happen, just might take a lil time to weather. Both ExxonMobil and Chevron are just about unbreakable and pay close to 5%, think of them as dividend stock, and hedge stocks also.

You don't strike me as the kind of person that will be driving a Tesla anytime soon, so you might very well be putting fuel in your vehicles like myself for the rest of your life. So, in 10 years from now when your putting fuel in your vehicle, and your not happy about the price your paying per gallon, if you buy shares of Chevron now I guarantee they will be worth more $$$ when fuel cost's more $$$. If by some chance fuel is cheaper in 10 years, you and I both know that won't be the case! Your stock will most likely be worth a little less, but the divided will be a little higher, and you will have been paid a divided the 10 years you owned the stock. 10 years x %5= 50% Half the value of the stock. But fuel will cost more! So it's a hedge against higher fuel prices, plus you get paid a divided.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
There are 100's of of financial forums out there. Pick one. If you shorted all the stocks you just listed you would have done very well in the last five years.
beer3.gif

Warren Buffet once told me to watch out for naked shorts, once the tide goes out you see who has swim suit's and who doesn't!

I'm on my desk comp, but I'm busy, will come back and do calculation, 100 shares Phillips66, share price, $ 90.58. on sat 06/22/19 market closed, 2018 dividend paid total year $ 310.00. Think its about 3.425%, or pretty close, so, they suck! Need to sell and reallocate that money elsewhere!

First, to answer the initial q ("Any interest in oil stocks . . ."), yes.
Originally Posted by Warstud
Sunoco (SUN) pays 10.61% div

I did not know that. That's pretty remarkable. And I thought BP was good at 5.8%.
Excuse me, I have to do some homework . . . .

Originally Posted by Warstud
Sunoco (SUN) pays 10.61% div

Serious? 10.61% div, Has that been consistent over a few years time? The reason I ask, the 7% range for common stocks is about the range to begin to worry, normally dividends above and beyond that are not sustainable and signals a problem or every open share on the market would have been bought and that would cause a squeeze on the share price to a higher level, and that higher stock price will lower the dividend ratio if the profit margin of the company stayed exactly the same. Sorry, don't mean to make it too complicated. Many investors do not corollate share price to dividend as the price of the stock changes.

Sonoco used to be largely into refining which is very volatile to the demand of fuel, not very much to the price of oil. From what I read, Sunoco has sold off a lot of their refining business for some reason.

I do own, and have owned for 15 years Suncor, a subsidiary Sunoco, but it does not pay anywhere near that, but the stock price is Very volatile to the price of oil, infact its the most volatile out of all my oil stocks when measured to the price of oil. That's what I like about it!

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
With WTI back in the lower 50's, it's a good time to buy almost any oil/oil services stock. Not sure if any of you in here have any knowledge that could be helpful beyond what can normally be figured out with some diligent research online? I have traded different oil stocks for years with good success. I usually focus on Devon, Apache, Anadarko(not anymore), Halliburton, National Oilwell Varco. Eying DVN closely right now. HAL and NVO also looking like good buys based on the charts. But there are always outliers. 5-6 years ago I tripped over a little stock that Royal Dutch Shell was interested in and ended up nearly doubling my money. I can't even remember the name anymore.

Lets pick this first post a little since you got this wagon rolling! What you stated in your first few sentences sum's it up pretty good except, "Almost Any", and "Diligent Research"

BTW, I like Oil in the low 50's!

Almost Any, I would only advise cherry picking the best companies in a good, or a bad market, never want to own the worst stocks on the market, its not like owning the worst house on the block= you can fix the worst house on the block. You can't fix a bad stock. If your going to invest, invest in the best companies you feel comfortable investing your money in. I prefer best of class even though that often means higher stock prices, and less chance for growth. The stocks/companies you listed are not "Almost Any" Those are very good companies. Chevron thought Anadarko was a good company!

Research should be done, rule of thumb is one hour per week or you should not own the stock, that's just the upkeep to stay informed on your investment. Research for initial investment can be daunting and spin your head around in circles. The biggest majors in the sector will not require so much research, but you probably won't have the opportunity for as much growth as small cap stocks, you also won't have the volatility and chance for as much loss either.

Professionals Always look at investments differently than individuals. Professionals evaluate how much $$$ could be lost on this investment. Individuals Always "Think" how much can I make in profit on this investment! See the difference in the mind set? One is protective, one is greed in a sense. Be protective!

Never buy a stock hoping for it to be a take over candidate, yes I have had overnight doubles on more than few of those also. just luck of the draw in a sort, never take a gable hoping blindly on a takeover.

In my opinion, if an investor has not much experience, or infact even if they do, investors should always start with a strong core position of companies that are seen, heard, used, and not direct commodities, but major companies that sell the commodities that we all use day after day, Chevron, Exxon/Mobil and other service type companies, McDonalds, Costco, example, but McD's has been having a bit of a rough patch, but I still own it. It would be acceptable to own some direct commodities, but honestly there are very few to suggest IMO, 5/10% gold, if your a doom/gloom or like the idea of a Numismatic Gold Coin collection, 20% max allocation of your total "PIE" Think we all know what Pie means. Perfectly acceptable among most all investment advisers to own 10% gold bullion.

People, have different tolerances, different objectives, different understandings, different levels of experience. But everyone should have this same trading strategy of getting in, and getting out of all common share positions regardless of profits or losses. Not one person professional or individual..."Amateur" investors is actually what most of us are, not sure if there is a professional here? Don't think so.

"Not One Person Can Call the Market" Only a fool will tell you they can!

At a minimum you should buy/sell 1/4 1/8 positions at a time over a period of time. Everyone should get used to watching charts and ranges that their stocks trade in, learn to identify breakouts, learn to identify stocks that trade within a range bound area that can be traded in 1/4 block tiers and bought and sold around a core position is what the term is called. It is what the professionals do. Buy 1/4 block positions that are within your comfort zone on the lower side of the neutral line "check the news updates first"! ALWAYS check the news updates just before you buy stocks that dip a little! and spread the price paid on way down to cost average lower over a period of time. Then when stock is riding above neutral line, you can start to think when you wish to sell a 1/4 block of shares to take a profit. This is trading around a core position. Normally the worst thing that can happen when using this method properly, you only get to buy your first 1/4 block of shares and you have "NO" core holding to trade around. Your stock just goes up, never gives you another chance to buy and you end up with a buy an hold stock, unless you wish to sell and take profit. But beware, if you always sell your profits, you will be left with only your losers unless you pair your gains with your losses, which you must do to kill your losers! "I'm done typing for now"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back