14 CTS VSport Aisin Trans - MaxLife Inconclusive Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

I just had my 2014 Cadillac CTS VSport with the Aisin 8-speed serviced with MaxLife ATF and now the transmission is acting funny. Only 44k miles on the car and the transmission calls for GM WS-type fluid. I read on this very forum that WS fluid can be replaced with ATF such as MaxLife (what I usually use), Redline D6, and Amsoil Signature.

I chose the MaxLife route and now the car has a shudder / slight bucking forward and back feeling after some gear shifts have completed and lasts about a second in duration. In addition, when putting down moderate acceleration mid-corner, sometimes the trans feels like it's slipping and as I exit the corner with moderate throttle, the rear end bangs / lurches the car forward aggressively (it has done this twice in 150 miles). I think when this happens, it's either slipping or having a hard time downshifting into gear and when it finally gets into gear, it lurches forward due to the moderate throttle position (the car has 500HP as well so it's not a light thrust forward).

Any thoughts? Valvoline told me this fluid was compatible as well and the GM WS-type fluid is ridiculously expensive. I have just went ahead and ordered the 15 quarts of the WS-type stuff at $11/ quart to have the transmission fluid changed again.

Last edited by a moderator:
ZERO % possibility I would use Maxlife in that transmission. Spend the money and use the *correct* ATF.

I hate ATF that are OK to use in 27 different makes and models transmissions.

I know when I was working at the part department of a Chevy dealer the 8 speeds has issues. They would come in for shudder so the techs would change the filter and fluid and if it came back they would I think replace something like the torque converter. I never actually saw anything get replaced in the time I was there ( read short) except fluid and filters.

There have been other complaints on here about that Aisin 8-speed. It is not Maxlife's fault
smile.gif

Even the original Toyota WS will give you the same shudder.

Castrol Full Synthetic is also good stuff, but it may give you the same shudder.

MaxLife has no approvals, why would you use it?
[Linked Image]

I got sucked in (before I knew better) and used it in my E450 and found the transmission acted like crap, with slushy shifts. A couple of changes with a licensed Mercon LV fluid and it's rock solid.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
ZERO % possibility I would use Maxlife in that transmission. Spend the money and use the *correct* ATF.

I hate ATF that are OK to use in 27 different makes and models transmissions.

I counted 33!

PLEASE DO NOT USE! If nobody buys it it will disappear from the market
MaxLife

Never understood why some people try to save a few bucks buying universal transmission fluids on a 5 figure car. [censored], I get the CVT fluid for my $900 Honda straight from the dealer.

I did not know GM used a WS fluid. Is it the same as Toyota WS?
Have you called Valvolines 800 number about it?
1-800-TEAM-VAL (1-800-892-6825)

Originally Posted by LotI

I will continue to use it in applications that I have had good results with (Ford Merc V, Toyota WS, GM Dex VI and Hyundai SP-IV).

While it does not cover all fluids, it works well in many, many applications.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Never understood why some people try to save a few bucks buying universal transmission fluids on a 5 figure car. ...

But why do I need to spend more money on a "lesser" fluid?
MaxLife ATF works fine in my applications (and many others), is a better fluid, and cost less.

Originally Posted by blupupher

I will continue to use it in applications that I have had good results with (Ford Merc V, Toyota WS, GM Dex VI and Hyundai SP-IV).

Same here. It has worked well in my 4runners, Sequoia, and GM 4L80Es, and 4L60Es.

Originally Posted by Bulletbling
Only 44k miles on the car and the transmission calls for GM WS-type fluid. I read on this very forum that WS fluid can be replaced with ATF such as MaxLife (what I usually use), Redline D6, and Amsoil Signature.

Just out of curiosity, what is GM WS type fluid? I though WS was Toyota. Is GM using something other than Dex VI in their newer trans?

Never understood why some people try to save a few bucks buying universal transmission fluids on a 5 figure car. ...

MaxLife ATF works fine in my applications (and many others), is a better fluid, and cost less.

Great that it works for you but have you used it for 100,000 miles? Do you know if the OEM fluids have any proprietary ingredients these universal fluids lack and their absence might not show up for 100,000 miles? Transmissions are expensive to repair or replace so saving a few bucks on universal fluid isn't always the best idea.

Just out of curiosity, what is GM WS type fluid? I though WS was Toyota. Is GM using something other than Dex VI in their newer trans?

WS is Toyotas branded ATF for Aisin transmissions that specify JWS-3324; Aisin even sells their own

https://www.wpdusa.com/products/265...AISIN-31256774-4954514999946-ATF0WS.aspx

If you notice it is also used in Volvos

The Cadillac is indicated on the Fitment guide in the above link

The experience of the OP is unfortunate, but unlikely to cause any one to abandon use of Maxlife, including myself; It has been a great Dexron III replacement for my friends 02 Tundra

Going back to WS seems prudent, especially with a problematic transmission.

Last edited:

Great that it works for you but have you used it for 100,000 miles? Do you know if the OEM fluids have any proprietary ingredients these universal fluids lack and their absence might not show up for 100,000 miles? Transmissions are expensive to repair or replace so saving a few bucks on universal fluid isn't always the best idea.

Learn most fluids are DEXRON clones then preach please. You must only use OEM oil, gear fluid, and filters. I bet you also use OEM recommendation gas also.

Originally Posted by dave1251

Learn most fluids are DEXRON clones then preach please. You must only use OEM oil, gear fluid, and filters. I bet you also use OEM recommendation gas also.

Yes, I do. Top tier with less than 15% ethanol. Everything else is covered under Magnusson Moss.

I can't speak to MaxLife ATF specifically, nor to this application since it does seem to be a bit finicky. While it is prudent to use properly specified ATF, there is some exaggeration as to the differences in some of them that we see. Mola has already spoken to that. It's easy to claim that when I see something claiming Nissan Matic J or S compatibility on the shelf, it's not specifically licensed. That's true, but the actual ability to license a fluid is more the exception than the norm. Nissan can claim all they want that we should use OEM fluid or "equivalent" yet they don't seem to have anyone knocking their doors down to get an endorsement. They're also not going to convince me that their ATF is so proprietary and special that they make it themselves and somehow Shell, Castrol, and Mobil all have nothing to do with it and it's above their pay grade.

Yes, I have. My 1997 GMC 1500 has 271,000 miles on original 4L60E transmission that has been lubed with Maxlife since 130,000 miles. It frequently tows up to 7,000LBS. A car transmission. In a truck. Towing. Maxlife is good stuff.

Originally Posted by dave1251

Yes, I do. Top tier with less than 15% ethanol. Everything else is covered under Magnusson Moss.

So is using Maxlife ATF in your transmission.

Originally Posted by Bulletbling
Hey all,

I just had my 2014 Cadillac CTS VSport with the Aisin 8-speed serviced with MaxLife ATF and now the transmission is acting funny. Only 44k miles on the car and the transmission calls for GM WS-type fluid. I read on this very forum that WS fluid can be replaced with ATF such as MaxLife (what I usually use), Redline D6, and Amsoil Signature.

I chose the MaxLife route and now the car has a shudder / slight bucking forward and back feeling after some gear shifts have completed and lasts about a second in duration....

Was there a complete fluid exchange or simply a drain and fill with a filter change?

Originally Posted by alchargo
As slacktide and E150gt have already pointed out, I doubt the problem is with the fluid and instead an issue with the transmission itself. There are numerous complaints about the 8L80E and 8L90E describing your exact symptoms. There's even a class action lawsuit against GM, although 2014 models dont appear to be covered at the moment.
https://www.classaction.org/gm-8-speed-transmission-defect-lawsuits

His Cadillac has a Aisin TL-80SN which is closely related to the Aisin AA80E found in many upper end Lexus cars. Shares nothing with GM Powertrian 8Lx0E series units.

If GM could have skated by with Dexron VI in this unit.....I'm sure they would have....Dex VI isn't working so great in the GM 8Lx0E's either.

Clutch to Clutch transmissions can be VERY sensitive to ATF type! This trans calls for WS.

Though I would check the fluid level before doing anything!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back