AMSOIL 15w40 Heavy Duty Diesel (ADP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little surprised by the TBN technical data sheet says 10.2. Didn't shake the bottle at all for what it's worth.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Polaris uses same method as for used oil when analyzing virgin oil samples thus base number reported is lower than it actually is

Originally Posted by parshisa
Polaris uses same method as for used oil when analyzing virgin oil samples thus base number reported is lower than it actually is

I see. Technical Data Sheet states ASTM D2896, whereas this analysis was ASTM D4739. Thanks for the clarification!

Originally Posted by parshisa

OAI is a private label for Amsoil done by Polaris. BITOG could have its own private label done by Polaris if enough members got together to support it.

I dont expect to see moly in a diesel oil but ...

Im shocked that there is no magnesium or boron.
This oil might fall into the category of a compound that is not tested for. I mean these oil tests are based on compounds and additives decades oil, not on any new.
Also tests do not test film strength.

….but usually we see some Boron, and new formulations usually have a Ca/Mg detergent pack combo.

Weird to see such an old-school add-pack on their newest oil.

Originally Posted by Bdsankey
My oil analysis of Amsoil Heavy Duty Diesel Marine 15W40 (AME) at 5700mi shows a higher TBN (D4739), calcium, phosphorus, and zinc content than your VOA. I wonder if that is mainly to appease the newer certs?

That would be odd since the Amsoil product doesn't claim to meet any certifications.

While it may not say "certified to XX.XX spec", they MUST make an oil product to meet these specifications or else nobody will buy them. Also, if the oil causes problems due to additive package then their sales will fall. Every company loves money, they gain nothing by ignoring the market trends or current API specifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back