Grease those tail gate mechanisms!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few months ago, my friend's tailgate handle broke on her 2002 Tundra; I ordered the replacement and while planning to replace it, the handle on my 2300 broke.

Both were easy fixes (i bought OEM for hers) and while in there I used white lithium grease on the mechanisms, especially out on the ends of the rods where the latches are.

I was amazed how easily the mechanisms worked after a little attention; Probably worth the few minutes it took to do this BEFORE needing to fix a broken handle.

Probably many do this, but it never occurred to me, and not doing it caused a bit of a headache since both of us use or tailgates on a regular basis

The tailgate handles break all the time on the Mazda B-series and the Ford Rangers. I keep them in stock as well as the all metal one used on the older Rangers. Whenever someone comes in for one they barely finish saying Ranger tailgate and I am walking back with the handle.

The latch and mechanism on my Ram gets lubricated every fall when I take it in to get Krown undercoated. They spray inside the gate from the handle. Never had a problem.

Last edited:
I try to spray all pivot points and springs yearly, usually in the spring. Hey, that reminds me....

13.gif

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
The tailgate handles break all the time on the Mazda B-series and the Ford Rangers. I keep them in stock as well as the all metal one used on the older Rangers. Whenever someone comes in for one they barely finish saying Ranger tailgate and I am walking back with the handle.

X2, known issue. Thankfully the metal ones are readily available and are a direct replacement for the plastic ones. I just use my '94 Ranger's VIN when ordering one from the dealer for newer trucks with broken plastic handles. The metal ones aren't that expensive either.

I am the opposite - I have never greased or lubed mine... but I use them nearly every day, though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back