2019 Chevrolet Colorado w/ 3.6L GDI V6 + 8-Speed Trans Any Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by userfriendly
Unsolvable transmission problem? First get rid of the water thin Dexox VI and go from there.

This makes no sense. Really.

How many of you who are criticizing the new Colorado/Canyon have ever driven one or own one? I have put over 40,000 miles on my 2017 Canyon 3.6 2WD Crew Cab and love it. Anyone who says the 3.6 is anemic hasn't spent any time with it. Is it a torque monster? No. But it is very sprightly in a mid-size truck. 0-60 times are in the six second range. And I get an average of 25-26 mpg when not towing. I don't tow anything heavy, nothing over 3.000 pounds. If I planned on towing 6 or 7,000 pounds I would have bought a Silverado/Sierra. If you want torque and plan to tow heavy loads with the Colorado/Canyon get the baby Duramax.

I did have the torque converter shudder but the recent TSB changing the ATF to the black label Mobil 1 LV fluid has solved the problem.

As far as the timing chain problems with the earlier 3.6, this engine has been redesigned with fewer and shorter timing chains. I am confident that with 5,000 mile oil changes that timing chain wear will not be a problem. This engine also has a built in oil separator similar to a catch can to prevent PCV fumes from building up residue on the back of the valves that other DI engines have problems with. It appears GM learned their lessons from earlier engines when designing this LGX/LGZ engine: "Camshaft drive: all-new, with a simpler design featuring two chains and six sprockets vs. the previous three chains and nine sprockets, with lower chain loads, which enhances durability. ".
http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/lgx/

The truck rides and handles better than the Tacoma or Frontier. I haven't driven the Ranger but test reports don't give it good marks for ride quality.

The size of this truck is just what I wanted. It fits in my garage and is easier to park than the overgrown full size trucks of today. I parked my truck next to a 1998 F150 and they are roughly the same size. The brodozers being made today are much bigger and most people who drive them never use or need the capacity of such a large truck.

Granted that with the deep discounts offered on the full size trucks, pound for pound they are a better value than the midsize trucks. But I am very happy with my choice.

Last edited:
jhs914; Good post. Yes the 16 and newer 3.6 is a completely different engine. The easiest way to awaken a Canyon/Colorado would be a simple engine/transmission swap with an ATS-V.

Last edited:
The thing is I tow 4500-5000lbs all summer long, and don't think the Colorado would be up to the task in the mountains here. You need torque to yank things up hills, and the 3.6 sucks for torque. What the truck actually puts down to the tires is even worse.

The Duramax is OK, but it has 180 crank HP. There are times when I need to pass people going 40 in a 55, and I don't think a pickup truck that goes 0-60 in almost 10 seconds is going to cut it. It's honestly a terrible truck to drive anywhere but in stop and go traffic.

I drove both and found the V6 severely underpowered below 4000 RPMs. If you hold it wide open and let the motor rev out, it goes along good, but who wants to do that?
The diesel got off the line OK, but died out around 20 MPH. Towing I guess it would be OK, but unladen felt like driving a 3 cylinder Ford Fiesta.

V6 was 38k, diesel was 48k (ZR2). No rebates or price haggling (this was when the ZR2 just came out.) Both trucks sold within two weeks, and I can only assume whoever bought them paid full price.

I really want to like these trucks, but GM needs to put some serious muscle under the hood in order to get me to buy one. They're taking a step in the right direction by offering the 6.2L in the Silverado lower trims (LT, etc.)

Originally Posted by oilpsi2high
The thing is I tow 4500-5000lbs all summer long, and don't think the Colorado would be up to the task in the mountains here. You need torque to yank things up hills, and the 3.6 sucks for torque. What the truck actually puts down to the tires is even worse.

The Duramax is OK, but it has 180 crank HP. There are times when I need to pass people going 40 in a 55, and I don't think a pickup truck that goes 0-60 in almost 10 seconds is going to cut it. It's honestly a terrible truck to drive anywhere but in stop and go traffic.

I drove both and found the V6 severely underpowered below 4000 RPMs. If you hold it wide open and let the motor rev out, it goes along good, but who wants to do that?
The diesel got off the line OK, but died out around 20 MPH. Towing I guess it would be OK, but unladen felt like driving a 3 cylinder Ford Fiesta.

V6 was 38k, diesel was 48k (ZR2). No rebates or price haggling (this was when the ZR2 just came out.) Both trucks sold within two weeks, and I can only assume whoever bought them paid full price.

I really want to like these trucks, but GM needs to put some serious muscle under the hood in order to get me to buy one. They're taking a step in the right direction by offering the 6.2L in the Silverado lower trims (LT, etc.)

How much quicker is the 6.2 compared to the 5.3 regarding towing? The difference was not much in the last generation of GM trucks if the same transmission was used.

420 HP / 460 TQ vs 355 HP and 382 TQ. Both at 5600/4100 RPM.

6.2 also has forged crank. 10 speed auto vs the trash 8 speed.

What's interesting is they recommend premium for the 6.2, where the 5.3 it says unleaded or E85.

Originally Posted by oilpsi2high
420 HP / 460 TQ vs 355 HP and 382 TQ. Both at 5600/4100 RPM.

6.2 also has forged crank. 10 speed auto vs the trash 8 speed.

What's interesting is they recommend premium for the 6.2, where the 5.3 it says unleaded or E85.

Your giving specs not actual performance side by side regarding towing and hauling. If memory serves me the difference was not much.

Originally Posted by dave1251
How much quicker is the 6.2 compared to the 5.3 regarding towing? The difference was not much in the last generation of GM trucks if the same transmission was used.

The ONLY way to really know is to delete the Torque Management out of both trucks & see which one performs better. Assuming the transmission doesn't get hurt in the process.

My money is on the 6.2L! My old 2008 L92 made 450 rear wheel torque at 2500 RPM with a custom camshaft that should have raised the peak torque to a higher RPM.

Unsolvable transmission problem? First get rid of the water thin Dexox VI and go from there.

If its under warranty, the dealer and GM are eating all the diag and fluid costs.
But at the end, the problem was on my friend with the $ loss.
And GM lost a customer for life.

Originally Posted by clinebarger

The ONLY way to really know is to delete the Torque Management out of both trucks & see which one performs better. Assuming the transmission doesn't get hurt in the process.

My money is on the 6.2L! My old 2008 L92 made 450 rear wheel torque at 2500 RPM with a custom camshaft that should have raised the peak torque to a higher RPM.

What's torque management? Does the Colorado's have it? Sounds like a software feature in the ECU programming to neuter engine power as the computer sees fit. I would turn that off in a new york minute if there was a way.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger

What's torque management? Does the Colorado's have it? Sounds like a software feature in the ECU programming to neuter engine power as the computer sees fit. I would turn that off in a new york minute if there was a way.

From what I understand, at least on the Mopars, it cuts engine power during shifts so the transmission isn't taking the full brunt of the engine. It also prevents you from lighting the tires up if you floor it from a stop.

Last edited:

Without getting real technical....You got the gist of it. Every GM vehicle that make any power at all has Torque Management.
Deleting or Altering the TM in any way will void the powertrain warranty. GM insists that dealerships take CVN (Calibration Verification Number/s) snapshots before certain powertrain warranty work will be approved.

Without getting real technical....You got the gist of it. Every GM vehicle that make any power at all has Torque Management.
Deleting or Altering the TM in any way will void the powertrain warranty. GM insists that dealerships take CVN (Calibration Verification Number/s) snapshots before certain powertrain warranty work will be approved.

2.8 Colorado diesel in Oz has/had (in 2016 with the 6L50) 500Nm torque for the auto, and 420(?) for the manual....same peak power at revs

Yeah my money would be on the 6.2 also. The performance of the two engines is not as wide as I assumed originally.

Originally Posted by Danno

If its under warranty, the dealer and GM are eating all the diag and fluid costs.
But at the end, the problem was on my friend with the $ loss.
And GM lost a customer for life.

Still the problem isn't the fluid because it's not thinner then DEXRON III.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back