Best way to do a vin check

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone so we are looking into buying another used car and I was wondering what do you guys recommend as far running vins to check owner history crashes ect. I appreciate al the help. I know I used to use auto check but it's more expensive so I thought maybe you'd all know a better option.

Originally Posted by oilpsi2high
Just buy a Carfax report.

Usually you can get the seller to pay for them.

Yes Carfax. I wouldn't expect a private seller to pay for it since it's for your benefit but it never hurts to ask. If you're too cheap to spring for it yourself (you already say Auto Check is more expensive) you may need to change your game plan.

Auto check has gone up in price versus what it used to be so I didn't know if anyone new of a better option.

I have the rabbit and the dart haven't owned a Saturn in a while but I'm looking for another to add to the collection.

I was going to say eBay but I guess they got rid of those Carfax and Autocheck listings, they're all gone now. They used to be $4-$6 for a report. There are still some on Amazon though if you select the used sellers. Not too many reviews so I guess Amazon is probably killing them too as they pop up.

https://www.amazon.com/FULL-CARFAX-REPORT-WITHIN-HOURS/dp/B01AAUM50M

Also found this site that claims they do it for $5. Not sure how legit it is though, someone spend $5 and let us know.

https://vinstant.net/

Hahahahaha everyone has that one thing they enjoy! Mine is cars.

There was a writer for Car and Driver magazine (can't remember their name) that was fond of saying "In my youth I spent thousands upon thousands on women and cars. The rest I squandered"

If you want the not so ethical/free way is to go on Ebay.com and act like your going to sell the vehicle. Make it some crazy high number so no one buyes it. Post it, and it will let you see the carfax for free. You only get so many free car posts a year through Ebay so choose wisely.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Create a mycarfax.com account, add the VIN

FYI..the mycarfax account is free. You can have up to five cars (VINs) in your garage. You get the full carfax records on those VINs and the idea is you enter you service history, etc. Easy to do ..and did I mention the mycarfax.com account is FREE?

https://www.mycarfax.com/

If the car is old enough, does a VIN search matter? Just buy really used and then past history won't matter. A visual inspection is still going to be required as stuff doesn't hit the report, and sometimes I think we use FUD too much (do all flooded cars wind up problem cars? all rentals fall apart after a few months? and so forth).

Originally Posted by DB_Cooper

FYI..the mycarfax account is free. You can have up to five cars (VINs) in your garage. You get the full carfax records on those VINs and the idea is you enter you service history, etc. Easy to do ..and did I mention the mycarfax.com account is FREE?

I've had my last 2 vehicles on my carfax...also have my account open in another tab...I've never gotten the full history report for either, or seen where it was offered... they give you all the service records...from carfax reporting shops... but not seeing the full history report...

and it also appears that whatever services you report via the app do not get added to the real carfax report..(from what i can see) when i traded in my sable, and went to delete it from my account, I got a big warning that I was about to also delete all info I had put in about said car...

Carfax as a buying decision tool is just marginal..not great. They miss on many things. The only good thing is you can verify state inspections, registrations and mileages. Some times you get infrequent maintenance records and maybe collision reports on older and newer cars. CF should be only a small part of the picture. For free it is fine. Do not waste much money on the reports though. Not worth it.

Carfax can be useful to confirm things. My dad got one on a used car and it confirmed what the dealer said about it being a one-owner car purchased from them originally, etc. It can also provide some warning signs, like several owners over a short period of time or a major accident. I think they are more useful for late-model cars. Once the car gets a bit older the history becomes less relevant than the actual condition of the vehicle.

Originally Posted by DB_Cooper

This is nice!

Apparently my Explorer has been all over the country..Chicago, Spokane, Fremont, now Birmingham.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back