What's the inside of your engine look like?!

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
* I'm about ready for a cigarette now and I don't even smoke ! ... A couple of these pictures will become my new screen saver (lol !)

...‚...‚...‚...‚

All right, I'll contribute.

Here are some under valve cover of my previous vehicle , a 2009 Suzuki SX4 with a J20A engine. Total mileage 150k miles.

All its life, QSUD (brown bottle) was used with OCI of 5k to 6k.

zIphLPG

HHFXJMu

yJRZa3A

It seems I cannot link pictures properly, if I use the uploader, all I get is a black image.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jbutch

Here are some under valve cover of my previous vehicle , a 2009 Suzuki SX4 with a J20A engine. Total mileage 150k miles.

zIphLPG

HHFXJMu

yJRZa3A

It seems I cannot link pictures properly, if I use the uploader, all I get is a black image.

On Imgur, go to the photo page and click on the picture you want to use. On that page there is a menu down the right side; choose "UBB code"(I think), which will copy the link, then just paste the whole link by itself in your reply . Doesn't work on my phone but good to go on computer.

A bit of varnish on there...no sludge though.

zIphLPG

HHFXJMu

yJRZa3A

Those pictures look a little rough for 5k intervals and synthetic QS... odd...

Originally Posted by 2012AccentSE

Those pictures look a little rough for 5k intervals and synthetic QS... odd...

Yup, more varnish than I would have expected. It ran like a champ though.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Edit: Thanks JLTD!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JLTD
A bit of varnish on there...no sludge though.

That's what I noticed when I did my valve covers @160k. Is that varnish there forever? I'm reluctant to use any kind of flush. I do however use Rislone engine treatment from time to time

2001 Mazda Protege 1.6. Photo taken in 2012 during a timing belt change. About 180K km (c. 110K miles) on the car, with oil changes twice a year (averaging perhaps 8K - 10K km [5K - 6K miles]) from 2005/66K km on. Mobil 1 5W-30 used most of the time.

2012 08 08 001.jpg

1997 Mazda MPV 3.0. Photos taken in 2014 @ around 300K km (c 187K miles), while I was chasing down oil and coolant leaks. The engine was run mostly on Mobil 1 5W-30 changed twice a year (average 10K km [6K miles]) from 2001/94K km (c. 58K miles) on.

IMG_4097.JPG

Originally Posted by benjy
back in the day 70's i hung around a friends auto parts + engine rebuilding shop + would strip engines for cleaning + rebuilds. took one small block chevy apart + filled a pound coffee can with sludge, no info on servicing or not but i asked the owner if he used pennzoil + he said yes!! on the other hand i stripped my oil drinking 307 chevy at 75 thou + it was spotless internally on valvoline conventional 10-30 of the 70's, i prolly did changes at 3 thou with mostly local + short trips,
My '68 Impala (307) also guzzled oil. It was pretty clean when I pulled the heads though - 2000 mile OCs mostly with Quaker State 10W-30 and a Fram filter.

Originally Posted by atikovi

236K 2001 Honda Insight
[Linked Image]

That's about what my 4.6 liter F150 looks like at 192,000 miles

Originally Posted by Number_35
2001 Mazda Protege 1.6. Photo taken in 2012 during a timing belt change. About 180K km (c. 110K miles) on the car, with oil changes twice a year (averaging perhaps 8K - 10K km [5K - 6K miles]) from 2005/66K km on. Mobil 1 5W-30 used most of the time.

Had this exact engine in a 1994 323 hatchback. Beat the heck out of it, and hardly changed the oil, really busy period of life.
Ran like a top, never had any engine issues. Great engine!

I don't have any pictures of the inside of any of my engines since I have not had a reason to pull the heads or do any internal work per se, but I have shown a very bright LED flashlight into the fill spouts and all of my engines are spotless with no varnish anywhere.

That includes a 1999 S-10 Vortec 4.3L V6, Nissan frontier 4.0L V6, and a Pathfinder 2015 3.5L V6.

I attribute the cleanliness to adhering to Severe Service Intervals and no OTC additives.

I replaced the VC gasket at 103,000 miles on my 1996 Contour 2.0L Zetec and took these pics. I think it looks "somewhat" clean
lol.gif
. I used Motorcraft blend, Schaeffer's blend and synthetic Pennzoil and Mobil 1. OC's were 5,000 mi with the blends and up to ~8,000+ miles with the synthetics.

Whimsey
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
O it has lived on Motorcraft 5W50 and FL-500S filters. changed every 5K miles its whole life.

Why would you use an oil filter that people claim is inferior because the filter media "SUPPOSEDLY" tears?
smirk.gif

Trolling.gif
hooked.gif
<---People claiming the MC filter is inferior

It is downright amazing the level of self-imposed ignorance some people choose to live in. I honestly cannot understand it.

Of course I don't create a doppelgänger for me to reply to myself either, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Originally Posted by Talent_Keyhole
GM 2.4l, Ecotec, with GDI, 89K miles, on quick lube oil changes and following the bogus Oil Life Monitor. This was taken during a timing chain replacement. Thankful it only slipped a few teeth and did not destroy the pistons and valves.

So we have an oil related engine failure and nobody acknowledges? Funny. Where are all the "oil will never cause an engine to fail" people at on this one?

Originally Posted by addyguy
Originally Posted by Number_35

Had this exact engine in a 1994 323 hatchback. Beat the heck out of it, and hardly changed the oil, really busy period of life.
Ran like a top, never had any engine issues. Great engine!
Rust got the car at around 245K km and 15 years - I think the engine would have run forever.

Back