Michelin Uptis Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
GM and Michelin plan on having airless tires available as an option on 2024 GM passenger vehicles.

Plenty of photos and info here:

https://www.michelin.com/en/press-r...air-out-of-tires-for-passenger-vehicles/

Uptis features ground-breaking improvements in architecture and composite materials, which enable Uptis to bear the car's weight at road-going speeds.
These innovations combine to eliminate compressed air to support the vehicle's load, and result in extroardinary environmental savings: approximately 200 million tires worldwide are scrapped prematurely every year as a result of punctures, damage from road hazards or improper air pressure that causes uneven wear.
These advancements through the Uptis Prototype demonstrate Michelin's and GM's shared commitment to delivering safer, more sustainable mobility solutions.

That would help fix the sidewall dry rot problem.
lol.gif

Looks like a tweel. The landscape company that my company uses has those on all their JD zero turn's. Nothing groundbreaking there

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
Looks like a tweel. The landscape company that my company uses has those on all their JD zero turn's. Nothing groundbreaking there

Which was also a Michelin invention.

Sounds like a curse word.......Yo, Uptis sucka.

So will there be a standardized "pressure" for a tire model/size or will they have to tune the response to every vehicle application, 32 psi, 34 psi, 36 psi, etc?

How big of a deal is flat tires to the average driver? I think I've had 1 nail in the past 10 years. Normal or lucky?

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Sounds like a curse word.......Yo, Uptis sucka.

So will there be a standardized "pressure" for a tire model/size or will they have to tune the response to every vehicle application, 32 psi, 34 psi, 36 psi, etc?

How big of a deal is flat tires to the average driver? I think I've had 1 nail in the past 10 years. Normal or lucky?

I am flatless since 2002. Wondering what the cost will be....probably heinously priced.

Plus, not so sure about that design in snow. It's going to be full of snow in the morning and VERY unbalanced.

I wonder how much noise the sidewalls will produce with the wind whipping around possibly sounding like roaring propellers.

How to adjust for personal right comfort? How to adjust for better fuel economy (hypermiling)? How to dial in for best ride/handling compromise?

Interesting concept,

Last edited:
I'm old enough to have used the TRX tires. They were OE on my '79 Mustang GT (before they were called GT). I remember hitting a 2x4 stretched across the highway and having to buy two very expensive TRX tires.
frown.gif

These are the TRX Mustang wheels:

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back