ceramic coating recommendation/experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all:

Does anyone have a top-notch recommendation for a consumer-friendly ceramic coating for bumpers that doesn't require professional application? I'm finding that the bumper cover on my newer Corolla seems susceptible to road salt etching and want something perhaps more durable/resistant than carnauba wax. Other areas on the car, for whatever reason, do not seem susceptible.

Thanks

Ive heard alot of good things about Nu-Finish for the money, theres some youtube videos about it and one guy does like 16 types on one hood to compare.

Originally Posted by NissanMaxima
Hi all:

Does anyone have a top-notch recommendation for a consumer-friendly ceramic coating for bumpers that doesn't require professional application? I'm finding that the bumper cover on my newer Corolla seems susceptible to road salt etching and want something perhaps more durable/resistant than carnauba wax. Other areas on the car, for whatever reason, do not seem susceptible.

Thanks

A good sealant wax, preferably a synthetic one, is your best best to accomplish your goal. That will add a good solid layer of protection. I could recommend Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid (easy to apply, long lasting)...and there are others out there. Stay away from wanna-be products that simply throw some temporary shine but don't really protect. A product with UV protection is important, as it will help prevent color fade.

Nu-Finish is in no way a coating, and will not provide any more long-term resistance to road salt etching or rock chipping, etc.. than a normal wax. A coating will provide better protection, however, and there are some good ones out there that are not too finicky, and can be done by the average person with a little preparation. You will, of course, want to prep the surface prior to application. If you're only planning on doing the bumpers, then I don't know that spending the money on a brand-name product will be cost effective, but it's your dime.

Cquartz is a good one as far as the 'big names' go.. but if I might make a suggestion - I actually used one of these cheap '9h' products and was pretty happy. Again, if you're only doing the bumpers, a bottle like this would actually allow you to do multiple coats and improve protection.

If you're actually going to do the entire car, which would really be the way to go, you could still go with the 9h product I linked, but honestly, you can get Cquartz for around $80.

Lastly, and in all honesty, if you're just looking to do bumpers, to prevent salt etching and rock chipping, you might also consider something like a 'clear bra'.

Thanks all. I will look at these options. Actually, I have the entire front bumper covered with Xpel as well as the entire hood and fenders (impact areas). The rest of the car, like doors etc. do not seem susceptible to this strange etching from deicing products like the plastic rear bumper. Maybe it is a different type of clear coat on the plastic bumpers, but there is definitely something different. I called Meguiars and they said wax really isn't meant to necessarily protect against road salt and deicing products which was a bit of a surprise to me.

I applied Dinowax ceramic serum this Spring and love the results. Easy to apply. Don't know about the longevity yet but it cleans up real easy and looks amazing. Can use it on every surface too.

https://dinowax.com/collections/protect

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by RocRoller
Roughly 2 ounces gave me 2 full coats. I didn't do the wheels or glass, but did everything else.

Thanks. I'll give it a look.

Funny you should ask that, I've been getting bombed by the birds both at home and work lately. No issues. Wipes right off with a spritz of detailer or waterless wash and a microfiber.

Funny you should ask that, I've been getting bombed by the birds both at home and work lately. No issues. Wipes right off with a spritz of detailer or waterless wash and a microfiber.

It's like birds have radar to spot newly or recently detailed vehicles as their "target sites". Had that happen too...got a flock that was on a "bombing" mission.

Getting that junk off ASAP/quickly is important before the acidic affects start to eat into any protective layers of finish.

Ceramic coatings are advancing before our eyes and are becoming a superior alternative to any other conventional LSP. Within two years I think we'll see a formulation that harnesses the power of SiO2, TiO2, is easy for anyone to apply, and genuinely lasts. For now you have to do your homework get the right product. I've got a kit of Polish Angel Cosmic V2 I'm going to apply to my wife's car. For your needs CQuartz UK 3.0 is probably the right answer but unless you are equipped to prep. the finish with a good polishing, it's a fool's errand (and I'm not sure why you wouldn't do the whole car). In that case I would take HYUNDAIFAN001's advice and use a good sealant. Jescar Powerlock is still one of the best on the market, I and many others here have had phenomenal luck with it.

I applied Dinowax ceramic serum this Spring and love the results. Easy to apply. Don't know about the longevity yet but it cleans up real easy and looks amazing. Can use it on every surface too.

https://dinowax.com/collections/protect

Nice, but when did you have the time to do it this spring??? The way our weather's been, I barely get to wash our two vehicles and I've yet to do my spring wash, clay, wax treatment.

*If your paint finish is in good shape already or after claying - the Turtle Wax "Seal & Shine" is easy to apply / remove and provides nice results . Even if it only lasts 3 months (worse case) - it is so fast and easy to work with you won't mind . The shine and protection are very good as well ... For under $7.00 at WM you won't be disappointed !

[/quote]
Nice, but when did you have the time to do it this spring??? The way our weather's been, I barely get to wash our two vehicles and I've yet to do my spring wash, clay, wax treatment.[/quote]

I did it in March in the garage on a somewhat warm day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back