2015 Accord V6 Idemitsu 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very boring UOA. I guess that's a good thing

D60F3A96-FE76-4602-8E91-C05CEDE9A810.jpeg

I read that Idemitsu ATF is the same fluid as Honda DW atf. I wonder if this oil is the same thing as Honda branded dealership oil?

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Is the mm telling you to dump?

UD

Yes, I drive "severe driving" mostly city driving and the MM tells me to dump it between 5K and 6K miles.

Originally Posted by Patrick0525

@dan_erickson Which Idemitsu 0w20 ? There are three types. Looks like the basic type.
Not sure off the top of my head. It's the in the silver bottle that Advance clearance out a couple years ago

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I read that Idemitsu ATF is the same fluid as Honda DW atf. I wonder if this oil is the same thing as Honda branded dealership oil?

Not quite.

Idemitsu is the supplier to Honda, but the formulations are slightly different.

UD

Originally Posted by dan_erickson
Is the mm telling you to dump?

UD

Yes, I drive "severe driving" mostly city driving and the MM tells me to dump it between 5K and 6K miles.

Thanks.

Interesting my Ridgeline lets me go 8-9K towing 5K for 3-4K miles.

Without seeing TBN it's hard to tell how much life left - but based on everything else in the UOA's it appears the OLM is having you dump quite early.

been collecting 3.5 earth dreams UOAS to see how well the MM/OLM actually does - so far it hasn't let anyone go to far yet, but of course, not everyone uses that tool.

UD

Originally Posted by dan_erickson
Can you give more details beyond "city driving" ? Telling you to change the oil at 5-6k miles is pretty low on such a new Honda. I mean, are you a delivery driver or similar ?

Not quite.

UD

Is either formula better than the other? Would an Idemitsu 3 quart drain/fill "play nice" with the existing Honda DW?

Not quite.

UD

Is either formula better than the other? Would an Idemitsu 3 quart drain/fill "play nice" with the existing Honda DW?

I can't say which might be better.

I know which one is "better" for a vehicle under warranty.

I run idemitsu trans fluid in my Titan with confidence - Idemitsu is one of the few ATF refiners that have matching vs "universal" trans friction formulas.

Out of warranty Id still probably stick with Honda - or at least do a full fluid exchange over to idemitsu - -
curious why change formulations at all ? Whats your reason to want to do it? - no judgment just curiosity.

Bernardi auto parts is a good source for genuine honda fluids.

Last edited:

Not quite.

UD

I can't say which might be better.

I know which one is "better" for a vehicle under warranty.

I run idemitsu trans fluid in my Titan with confidence - Idemitsu is one of the few ATF refiners that have matching vs "universal" trans friction formulas.

Out of warranty Id still probably stick with Honda - or at least do a full fluid exchange over to idemitsu - -
curious why change formulations at all ? Whats your reason to want to do it? - no judgment just curiosity.

Bernardi auto parts is a good source for genuine honda fluids.

Just curious I guess :p I'd run into an AZ to browse and saw it. I'd never seen it before so I did a quick Google search on it,and people rave about it,saying it gave better shift feel over Honda OEM.

That's a very, very good point UD... Idemitsu actually has a specific CVT fluid that is only for NS-2... Type N they call it... That is the one I will use to do a few drain and refills on my Nissan Altima 3.5 coupe. And it is $9.99 a quart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back