Mustard BBQ sauce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else here like Carolina style BBQ sauce? The only one I can find in stores I like around here is Famous Dave's Georgia Mustard, it's good but I'd like to try some other brands as I don't care much for traditional BBQ sauce, I guess Famous Dave's Devil's Spit isn't to bad.

Any suggestions?

I grew up eating Maurice's Southern Gold original. Then it magically disappeared from the grocery store shelves because of the Confederate flag. It's still available though, but I don't go out of my way to get it.

I'm partial to the more widely accepted style of BBQ sauce .. Memphis style, etc.. but honestly, I have had some Caroline style sauces that were delicious. Really depends what I'm in the mood for.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
Anyone else here like Carolina style BBQ sauce? The only one I can find in stores I like around here is Famous Dave's Georgia Mustard, it's good but I'd like to try some other brands as I don't care much for traditional BBQ sauce, I guess Famous Dave's Devil's Spit isn't to bad.

Any suggestions?

Picked up some Shealleys or Shellys (sp) when in the Carolina's a few years ago and enjoyed it. However not going to find it around TX. Would love to find a good recipe to make my own.

I LOVE IT!. Both mustard and vinegar. My local Fred Meyer has one they market that is good, but I am always looking for other kinds.
It is called Private Selection Carolina Style BBQ Sauce. You can probably get it at most Kroger operated stores.

I don't care much for traditional either.

Last edited:
For the most part, I don't use sauce, I cook it right, so no need to cover up my mistake.

I ate at Central BBQ in Memphis.
They changed my mind about mustard BBQ sauce.
It is great on sausage.

Need to find a usable recipie.

The best mustard based BBQ sauces I've had is Maurice's Hickory Southern Gold (same Maurice's as mentioned above and I like it better than their Original) and Bi-Lo's store brand. It used to be called Southern Home, but I think it has changed. The Bi-Lo stores in my neck of the woods all closed as far as I know. That Bi-Lo store brand mustard sauce was really, really good.

My favorite is Eastern NC style. Can't buy it here so make my own.

Here are some recipes that I have accumulated over the years. They are not mine and I have only tried a couple of them. They should be a good starting point. Happy experimenting!

NORTH CAROLINA VINEGAR BASED BBQ SAUCES

Vinegar Sauce Epicurious | April 2008

by Steven Raichlen
The Barbecue! Bible 10th Anniversary Edition

Yield: Makes about 4 cups
ingredients

* 2 cups cider vinegar
* 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons ketchup
* 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar, or more to taste
* 5 teaspoons salt, or more to taste
* 4 teaspoons hot red pepper flakes
* 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper

Preparation:

Combine the vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, salt, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and white pepper with 1 1/3 cups of water in a nonreactive medium-size bowl and whisk until the sugar and salt dissolve.

Taste for seasoning, adding more brown sugar and/or salt as necessary; the sauce should be piquant but not quite sour.

Source Information:

Excerpted from The Barbecue! Bible 10th Anniversary Edition by Steven Raichlen, © 1998. (Workman)

Epicurious.com © Condé Nast Digital, Inc. All rights reserved.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Vinegar-Sauce-242391

East Carolina Barbecue Sauce

Ingredients:

2 cups cider vinegar (you can cut this in half if you
think it will be too vinegary for you)
2 Tablespoons molasses
1 Tablespoon ground dry mustard
1/2 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
4 teaspoons cornstarch

Directions:

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, mix cider vinegar, molasses, dry mustard, butter, cayenne pepper, Worcestershire and brown sugar.

Bring to a boil. Mix 4 teaspoons cornstarch with 4 teaspoons cold water and slowly add to the sauce; simmer 1 minute.

The sauce will thicken a little but will remain mostly thin as this is the type of sauce it supposed to be (it will also thicken a bit more when it cools).

If you think the cornstarch became clumped in any way within the sauce, strain before pouring into a squeezable bottle.

Find this recipe and more at: http://noblepig.com

Recipe Link: http://noblepig.com/2010/01/east-carolina-barbeque-sauce-for-pulled-pork/

**********************************************************************************************

Lets use a quart jar's worth...

Apple cider vinegar
Salt (about an inch deep, maybe less)
Red Pepper Flakes (1/3 cup)
Hot Sauce (1/3 to 1/2 cup)

Bring it to a light boil in a pan on the stove. Let it cool. Strain if you like, but some folks like the RPF in the meat. Once cooled, pour into a quart jar with holes poked into the lid. Sprinkle the sauce into the meat as you chop it up. You can also pour some of the sauce into the pig during the last few hours on the rack.

Some call it a pig-pickin'. That's where people stand around picking meat off the carcass. But, most of those people get shoo'd away and the meat is picked off and chopped up. The chopped pork has the sauce sprinkled on it and stirred good.

I've had nothing but compliments any time I make the stuff. Even from the people that can't imagine what I'm talkingh about when I describe it to them. The venegar cuts through the fat and really brightens up the taste.

*********************************************************************************

Alright, here is a basic eastern Carolina sauce recipe.

1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup yellow mustard
white or brown sugar to taste
salt to taste
dash or few Worcestershire sauce

I am a "adjust to taste" style cook so vary this according to your individual taste.

You can add garlic, cracked black pepper, ginger, or other herbs as desired but this base will dress your pork very nicely.

*****************************************************************************************

South Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce

Use this sauce toward the end of barbecuing meat because the sugar will caramelize fast, then burn. So leave it until the last 45 minutes or so, and paint it on in coats, letting each coat cook into the meat a bit before adding the next one.
Ingredients

4 Tbsp. butter
1/2 onion, grated
1/2 cup yellow mustard (the kind you get at the ballpark)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 Tbsp dry mustard (like Coleman's)
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 bay leaf
Salt to taste

Method

1 Heat the butter over medium heat until it's frothy, then add the onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Do not let the onions brown.

2 Add everything else, stir well and simmer slowly for 30 minutes or more.

About 2 cups.

**************************************************************************************

Biltmore Carolina Pulled Pork

Carolina pulled pork is a venerable tradition in western North Carolina. Once the sole purview of artisan pit masters, this recipe brings the authentic taste of Carolina-style barbeque to your own back yard.

Serves 20

Preparation Time: 45 minutes active time, Cooking Time: 9 hours

Ingredients
7-8 pounds pork shoulder (Boston butt)

Mop Ingredients
1 pint apple cider
1 pint apple cider vinegar
2 ancho peppers

Rub Ingredients
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1/4 cup granulated garlic
1/4 cup granulated onion
3/4 cup Montreal steak seasoning (available in most grocery stores)
1 tablespoon dry English mustard
1/2 cup salt
1 cup brown sugar

Preparation Instructions

Prepare the Mop: Place the mop ingredients in a small sauce pot and simmer for 20 minutes. Strain and set aside to cool.

Prepare the Rub: Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Stir well. Reserve 1/2 cup of the rub for the final seasoning. Rub the pork butt liberally with the remaining rub. Wrap the pork in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to smoke.

Producing authentic barbeque at home in the absence of a real barbeque pit requires cooking in two stages, smoking and slow roasting.

Smoking Method: The ideal way to smoke pork butt at home is to use a barrel smoker. (It's possible to use a Weber-type barbeque grill if it is large enough to accommodate the indirect smoking of the pork butt.) Using a barrel smoker, fill the water container with hot water and start a small charcoal fire underneath. Use chunks (not chips) of any hardwood (oak, hickory, apple, etc.). Place the pork butt in the top of the smoker and place 2-3 chunks of hardwood on the smoker to produce a good smoke. The interior temperature of the smoker should not exceed 225°F. Smoke the pork for 6 hours, or until it attains a dark caramel color.

Slow Roasting Method: After the pork is smoked, place it in a small roasting pan on a roasting rack. Tent the pork with aluminum foil being sure to get a tight seal. Roast in an 250°F oven for 2-3 hours or until you can insert a fork in the meat and turns 180° with minimal effort. Remove the pork from the oven and let it rest for 1 hour. Remove the "h" bone and pick or chop the pork into small pieces. Then season with 3/4 cup of the pork mop and 2 tablespoons of pork rub, or to taste. Serve either plain or with barbeque sauce.

Originally Posted by R_W_M
Here are some recipes that I have accumulated over the years. They are not mine and I have only tried a couple of them. They should be a good starting point. Happy experimenting!

NORTH CAROLINA VINEGAR BASED BBQ SAUCES

Vinegar Sauce Epicurious | April 2008

by Steven Raichlen
The Barbecue! Bible 10th Anniversary Edition

Yield: Makes about 4 cups
ingredients

* 2 cups cider vinegar
* 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons ketchup
* 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar, or more to taste
* 5 teaspoons salt, or more to taste
* 4 teaspoons hot red pepper flakes
* 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper

Preparation:

Combine the vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, salt, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and white pepper with 1 1/3 cups of water in a nonreactive medium-size bowl and whisk until the sugar and salt dissolve.

Taste for seasoning, adding more brown sugar and/or salt as necessary; the sauce should be piquant but not quite sour.

Source Information:

Excerpted from The Barbecue! Bible 10th Anniversary Edition by Steven Raichlen, © 1998. (Workman)

Epicurious.com © Condé Nast Digital, Inc. All rights reserved.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Vinegar-Sauce-242391

East Carolina Barbecue Sauce

Ingredients:

2 cups cider vinegar (you can cut this in half if you
think it will be too vinegary for you)
2 Tablespoons molasses
1 Tablespoon ground dry mustard
1/2 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
4 teaspoons cornstarch

Directions:

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, mix cider vinegar, molasses, dry mustard, butter, cayenne pepper, Worcestershire and brown sugar.

Bring to a boil. Mix 4 teaspoons cornstarch with 4 teaspoons cold water and slowly add to the sauce; simmer 1 minute.

The sauce will thicken a little but will remain mostly thin as this is the type of sauce it supposed to be (it will also thicken a bit more when it cools).

If you think the cornstarch became clumped in any way within the sauce, strain before pouring into a squeezable bottle.

Find this recipe and more at: http://noblepig.com

Recipe Link: http://noblepig.com/2010/01/east-carolina-barbeque-sauce-for-pulled-pork/

**********************************************************************************************

Lets use a quart jar's worth...

Apple cider vinegar
Salt (about an inch deep, maybe less)
Red Pepper Flakes (1/3 cup)
Hot Sauce (1/3 to 1/2 cup)

Bring it to a light boil in a pan on the stove. Let it cool. Strain if you like, but some folks like the RPF in the meat. Once cooled, pour into a quart jar with holes poked into the lid. Sprinkle the sauce into the meat as you chop it up. You can also pour some of the sauce into the pig during the last few hours on the rack.

Some call it a pig-pickin'. That's where people stand around picking meat off the carcass. But, most of those people get shoo'd away and the meat is picked off and chopped up. The chopped pork has the sauce sprinkled on it and stirred good.

I've had nothing but compliments any time I make the stuff. Even from the people that can't imagine what I'm talkingh about when I describe it to them. The venegar cuts through the fat and really brightens up the taste.

*********************************************************************************

Alright, here is a basic eastern Carolina sauce recipe.

1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup yellow mustard
white or brown sugar to taste
salt to taste
dash or few Worcestershire sauce

I am a "adjust to taste" style cook so vary this according to your individual taste.

You can add garlic, cracked black pepper, ginger, or other herbs as desired but this base will dress your pork very nicely.

*****************************************************************************************

South Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce

Use this sauce toward the end of barbecuing meat because the sugar will caramelize fast, then burn. So leave it until the last 45 minutes or so, and paint it on in coats, letting each coat cook into the meat a bit before adding the next one.
Ingredients

4 Tbsp. butter
1/2 onion, grated
1/2 cup yellow mustard (the kind you get at the ballpark)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 Tbsp dry mustard (like Coleman's)
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 bay leaf
Salt to taste

Method

1 Heat the butter over medium heat until it's frothy, then add the onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Do not let the onions brown.

2 Add everything else, stir well and simmer slowly for 30 minutes or more.

About 2 cups.

**************************************************************************************

Biltmore Carolina Pulled Pork

Carolina pulled pork is a venerable tradition in western North Carolina. Once the sole purview of artisan pit masters, this recipe brings the authentic taste of Carolina-style barbeque to your own back yard.

Serves 20

Preparation Time: 45 minutes active time, Cooking Time: 9 hours

Ingredients
7-8 pounds pork shoulder (Boston butt)

Mop Ingredients
1 pint apple cider
1 pint apple cider vinegar
2 ancho peppers

Rub Ingredients
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1/4 cup granulated garlic
1/4 cup granulated onion
3/4 cup Montreal steak seasoning (available in most grocery stores)
1 tablespoon dry English mustard
1/2 cup salt
1 cup brown sugar

Preparation Instructions

Prepare the Mop: Place the mop ingredients in a small sauce pot and simmer for 20 minutes. Strain and set aside to cool.

Prepare the Rub: Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Stir well. Reserve 1/2 cup of the rub for the final seasoning. Rub the pork butt liberally with the remaining rub. Wrap the pork in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to smoke.

Producing authentic barbeque at home in the absence of a real barbeque pit requires cooking in two stages, smoking and slow roasting.

Smoking Method: The ideal way to smoke pork butt at home is to use a barrel smoker. (It's possible to use a Weber-type barbeque grill if it is large enough to accommodate the indirect smoking of the pork butt.) Using a barrel smoker, fill the water container with hot water and start a small charcoal fire underneath. Use chunks (not chips) of any hardwood (oak, hickory, apple, etc.). Place the pork butt in the top of the smoker and place 2-3 chunks of hardwood on the smoker to produce a good smoke. The interior temperature of the smoker should not exceed 225°F. Smoke the pork for 6 hours, or until it attains a dark caramel color.

Slow Roasting Method: After the pork is smoked, place it in a small roasting pan on a roasting rack. Tent the pork with aluminum foil being sure to get a tight seal. Roast in an 250°F oven for 2-3 hours or until you can insert a fork in the meat and turns 180° with minimal effort. Remove the pork from the oven and let it rest for 1 hour. Remove the "h" bone and pick or chop the pork into small pieces. Then season with 3/4 cup of the pork mop and 2 tablespoons of pork rub, or to taste. Serve either plain or with barbeque sauce.

Thank you RWM....some great recipes.

Last time I was down South I found Mack Daddy's Hawg Sauce. Brought back a few and my chef friend said make pulled pork for this. Best pulled pork sandwiches I ever had.

Ive eaten bbq from all over - honestly I'm not a big fan of mustard bbq sauces.

Vinegar sauces I love on pork.

My favorite sauce is the homemade one my wife makes, I know there's a bunch of molasses, not sure what else.

If buying a bottled sauce off the shelf, in a supermarket (vs from a restaurant), I'll go to Wegmans for their store brand. Most store bought sauces have high fructose corn syrup and artificial junk. The Wegmans sauces use sugar and more "readable" ingredients, and they have a good variety.

George's BBQ sauce is pretty dang good for a vinegar based sauce. All the local stores stock it here for about $2.68 per 16 oz. bottle. I like the original, but I like the hot the best. Delicious on pan fried chicken breasts, and for dipping chicken nuggets.

https://www.georgesbbqsauce.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back