Headphones vs ear buds & recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I usually just buy some cheap $10 ear buds to use but have been wondering if there is a better route to take? I love listening to lots of old and new rock/blues. Ear buds can get annoying at times (they tend to slip out of one ear regardless of the size of the earpiece) so I'm leaning towards headphones - I don't want to spend more than about $150 - $200 max, and they'd need to have a plug for a standard phone/tablet jack.

Check out drop.com, then go to the audiophile section. They have good deals there, with a wide variety of ear buds, earphones, and headphones. The HiFiMan gear is pretty darn good for the money.

1More also makes very reasonably priced ~$100 excellent sounding earbuds if you are on the go a lot. They come with around 10 different size /type inserts for different sized ears. Otherwise I'd get something like Grado over the ear models, or some of the higher end Sennheisers. You also need a good quality DAC/headphone amplifier for many of the headphones. Earbuds don't need them.

Avoid the wireless / bluetooth variety, they are all a lot more expensive for the same audio quality

Can't go wrong with a pair of Sennheiser headphones. If I'm working on the computer I use my HD280 Pro's. They're a couple of years old and are still rock solid.

if you want portable the bluetooth galaxy buds are pretty amazing for around $130.
6 hours of playback + the case actually will charge them so they last all day.
https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/audio/headphones/galaxy-buds--black-sm-r170nzkaxar/

there are plenty of very good choices under $200.

I have these sony that I got for $150
they are very nice
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-x...headphones-black/5739303.p?skuId=5739303

and I have a cheap corwin e7 noise canceling that I use to mow.. that are a very good buy at $35-$40
https://www.amazon.com/Cancelling-Headphones-Bluetooth-Comfortable-Cellphone/dp/B019U00D7K
do not buy at their current $60+ price.

The included akg ear buds from my galaxy s8 are quite decent.. as are the pixel buds that came with my pixel 3

I was going to try some Bose or fancy over the ear headphones, but I'd be prone to losing them, so ai figured I'd try some cheapo ones first to see if ai liked the comfort and used them in earnest.

I bought a set of TaoTronics for like $60 on Amazon. The music has an interesting sound to it, clear and clarity boosted in some sounds and frequencies versus others. I like them.

Generally I use ear buds with the silicone form fitting bud section,,as they're more comfortable than the hard plastic ones. But even those hurt my ears after an hour or so. Over the ear is clunky and bulky but comfortable and blocks sound well.

If your earbuds keep falling out, give something like Comply a try. I always had issues with silicone earbud tips not fitting me correctly. Switching to foam kept them in my ears: https://www.complyfoam.com/store/

As for headphones, someone already mentioned drop.com, which is a great place to start. Are you looking for a closed back headphone or open back? If other people hearing your music is an issue, open back is a no go. However, if you typically listen in a private setting (not an office where other people are in close proximity), I'd recommend the Sennheiser HD 6xx from drop. A little over your budget at $220, but it well may be the best headphone for the money right now. Drop also has Sennheiser HD 58x for $160, which does slot into your budget nicely and will also sound good. Both are open back, so anyone around you will hear some of what your listening to.

Originally Posted by Rand
if you want portable the bluetooth galaxy buds are pretty amazing for around $130.
6 hours of playback + the case actually will charge them so they last all day.
https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/audio/headphones/galaxy-buds--black-sm-r170nzkaxar/

there are plenty of very good choices under $200.

I have these sony that I got for $150
they are very nice
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-x...headphones-black/5739303.p?skuId=5739303

and I have a cheap corwin e7 noise canceling that I use to mow.. that are a very good buy at $35-$40
https://www.amazon.com/Cancelling-Headphones-Bluetooth-Comfortable-Cellphone/dp/B019U00D7K
do not buy at their current $60+ price.

The included akg ear buds from my galaxy s8 are quite decent.. as are the pixel buds that came with my pixel 3

I also use the Sony daily working out and have been impressed with them and would purchase again.

My bottom line is that I like Skull Candy "Ink'd" earbuds. They sound best to me.

I have a large array of earbuds, from cheap Sony ones to some expensive Bose. None sound as good as the Ink'd Skull Candy ones.

I also have Bose QC2 headphones (with the cord) they sound good, with a reasonably smooth frequency response and are a pleasure to use.

I have a tone generator app on my phone and it's been quite enlightening to try a wide range of frequencies on the various earbuds/headphones.

Sound is a very personal thing, and what sounds good to me, may annoy someone else. But, I will say, that without a doubt, I know what I like.

Headphones are not expensive to manufacture. Only the development cost and that isnt much either. Paying over 200 bucks is not necessary unless you are buying something spectacular.

Best performance per dollar circumaural semi-open I've found is the SAMSON SR 850 usually under 50 bucks on sale from Musician's Friend or Sweetwater. Its a near AKG 240M clone with comfortable velour earpads.

Then there are the latest MDR V6 Sony.

The philips SHP9500 are excellent also for an open back unit.

If you have a high end setup with good DAC output or amp. you might like Sennheiser HD 600 if you want to spend $300.
But not much gain if any over the phillips. for under 75 bucks.

These are the best I know of. under 100 bucks and under 50 bucks.

Audio Technica blah blah blah ? HA ! No.

Interesting thread. I'd agree that drop.com has selection and good deals. I think there are some good "value" headphones and there are the usual suspects...and the "value" players change more often than the Sennheiser 650s of the world. If they have the possibility of being abused, then I might not spend more than $100 but if critical listening is involved then you'd want something to match your equipment. If you're using them on public transit or out in public, I'd shun open-back headphones but they'd probably be my preference for sitting down and listening at home.

My opinion is that there's probably a sweet spot in the $100-$150 range for many manufacturers ( depending on the application ) but something like the Samson referenced above ( while not really giant killers ) can be a good buy since there are some cans where diminishing returns kicks in earlier than others and others where the "value" equation is strong and they punch above their price point.

coffee2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MrHorspwer
If your earbuds keep falling out, give something like Comply a try. I always had issues with silicone earbud tips not fitting me correctly. Switching to foam kept them in my ears: https://www.complyfoam.com/store/

As for headphones, someone already mentioned drop.com, which is a great place to start. Are you looking for a closed back headphone or open back? If other people hearing your music is an issue, open back is a no go. However, if you typically listen in a private setting (not an office where other people are in close proximity), I'd recommend the Sennheiser HD 6xx from drop. A little over your budget at $220, but it well may be the best headphone for the money right now. Drop also has Sennheiser HD 58x for $160, which does slot into your budget nicely and will also sound good. Both are open back, so anyone around you will hear some of what your listening to.

I'll have to admit that I didn't know there was a difference. I think that I'd like the closed type or style though..

Also NO2, thanks for pointing out the need for a converter/amplifier.

Can any recommend an ok to decent one? I have no idea what I need or what is good or bad...

Thank you for your help so far!

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
The philips SHP9500 are excellent also for an open back unit.
I recently picked the SHP9500 up to use as a PC headset (for making calls), just because of how comfortable they are in extended use, and also because they're open back, you can still hear yourself speak while having them on. Now, for pure music listening, they lack in bass response, but we all have different sound signature preferences. It may be fine for some. I am more of a bass head.
smile.gif

I also just picked up their bigger brother, X2HR, which have better bass than SHP9500. Watching movies with these late at night is a treat. I think the X3 is about to be introduced, so a lot of retailers are dumping their X2HR stock - they're currently around $110 on Amazon. They'd make a nice Christmas gift.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I mentioned I like Skull Candy "inkd" I also have Skull Candy Bluetooth. The sound quality difference is significant in this case as the Bluetooth pair is 2nd rate.

I understand there are a few 24bit high quality Bluetooth headphones and when coupled with a good source can sound like wired headphones. But the various ones I own don't measure up to the sound quality of good old (and super cheap) wired Skull Candy Ink'd.

Bottom line: Bluetooth degrades sound quality. It does not have to, but it generally does.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cujet
Bottom line: Bluetooth degrades sound quality. It does not have to, but it generally does.
On that point, about a month or so ago I got these Soundcore Liberty 2 Pro TWS earphones. These use aptX as opposed to older SBC bluetooth codec, which means more bandwidth and theoretically better sound quality, assuming your source device supports aptX as well. I'd say sound quality is roughly 90% as good as some of my wired in-ear monitors. If I'm on the go, and not doing any critical listening, I don't mind giving up that little bit in SQ in exchange for the convenience of not being tethered to a wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back