PQIA most recent tests (5-1-2019)...no Noack results

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this test recently but didn't notice the noack missing until you pointed it out.

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
I saw this test recently but didn't notice the noack missing until you pointed it out.

First thing I noticed.

Kind of a disappoint PQIA doesn't hold everyone to the same standard.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

First thing I noticed.

How much have you paid for those results?

Honestly, I wonder if pqia can get NOACK numbers far cheaper than any one of us could, and then perhaps we could collectively donate to get data on oils of interest to the collective.

Good point/idea ^^^^^

I'd bet the lab NOACK testing was just down and not working when they ran these tests... Either because it was broke or just down for maintenance...

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

First thing I noticed.

How much have you paid for those results?

Honestly, I wonder if pqia can get NOACK numbers far cheaper than any one of us could, and then perhaps we could collectively donate to get data on oils of interest to the collective.

Every time anyone buys a product with that API sticker on it you pay. If you don't think so your Mama didn't have no Rocket Scientist.

I believe the PQIA runs as a not for profit, and is not an enforcement arm or any arm of the API itself. Some oil companies do help fund it. We do have to note that the PQIA is here to spot check that oils (and other automotive fluids) on the market are nominally what they claim to be. Their mandate isn't our entertainment, as much as I like reading what they post, and what they do does not absolve the API from policing their licensing nor does it preclude oil companies from watching each other like hawks.

To be totally frank, I don't think PQIA should waste its resources on any product with a legitimate dexos license. GM collects the royalties. GM can test the products for compliance. If they're dexos1 compliant, they're going to be compliant with SN and/or SN+ and GF-5.

I think it's hilariously funny that the STP synthetic shows every indication of being a superior oil to the Royal Purple offering. I'd buy the STP if it were available nearby at a decent price.

The only things RP wins in is 3/4 of a point of TBN, some extra magnesium and a little titanium. STP wins on the rest, including base stock quality it appears.

That STP full synthetic oil is $21.99 everyday price at AZ...

Not all that bad a price. Everyday at that...

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
I think it's hilariously funny that the STP synthetic shows every indication of being a superior oil to the Royal Purple offering. I'd buy the STP if it were available nearby at a decent price.

The only things RP wins in is 3/4 of a point of TBN, some extra magnesium and a little titanium. STP wins on the rest, including base stock quality it appears.

I think it's funny how RP and Valvoline Advanced FS continue to be mirror images of each other even after another reformulation.

I know people question their oil treatment, but STP oils always seem to be good products.
Even back in the day, their '15000 mile' 10W-50 oil seemed to be strong, and actually do what it said it would.

Wasn't there a bit of discussion not too long ago about how Noack values were getting harder to estimate? Some of the large oil companies stopped publishing their estimates.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Wasn't there a bit of discussion not too long ago about how Noack values were getting harder to estimate? Some of the large oil companies stopped publishing their estimates.

You are correct. I believe that the discussion was about repeatability and reliability of the current test method.

Maybe keeping the sample at exactly 250°F and the "constant air flow" (kind of vague) is where it can cause some variations. also how big is the sample and what size & material container, where you measure the temp, test chamber environment and many other variables ...

Unless the test is fully defined and universal, the one line test from Wikipedia won't do it:
"In this test, a sample is heated at 250 °C for 60 minutes with a constant flow of air over it. The weight fraction lost is the result for the Noack volatility test."

It will be interesting to know the variation in test results with different interpretation and execution of the noack test when not fully defined.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
... It will be interesting to know the variation in test results with different interpretation and execution of the noack test when not fully defined.
Do you have knowledge that it's not clearly defined, or are you speculating that it might not be? There's not much point having such a test unless every relevant variable is clearly defined and described. I don't need to know all the details, but any lab performing the test certainly should.

Originally Posted by 77GrandPrix

You are correct. I believe that the discussion was about repeatability and reliability of the current test method.

I think this is it right here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back