Briggs and Stratton 625EX 150cc. 60 hours over 3 summers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Murray brand lawn mower. Air filter was plugged beyond belief. Tbn was crazy high on this, if I can keep oil clean might never have to change it haha

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 238
Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Why was the FF in for so long? We have a Cub Cadet with a B&S motor and it called for a 5 hour first oil change.

Isn't this the new engine Briggs claims never needs an oil change?
lol.gif

Maybe they just realize half the iPhone zombies are not going to change the oil … I still have to nudge my millennial kids to do PM … Ok, I'm only going to show you ten more times … (one far better than the other)

I think it's awesome and somewhat funny that OP paid for a UOA on a machine that holds less than a quart of oil after running it for 3 seasons of use. Cool to see the numbers, but for the $35 the UOA cost you could've bought 2 gallons of Rotella T4 10w30 or 3 gallons of Super Tech 15w40 and changed the oil every year or even twice a year for the better part of 10 years. Sure you wouldn't have the data, but I'd imagine clean oil is better than data to a lawn mower.

I like how he did the UOA. It was interesting!

My dad just bought a new Murray riding mower which has a 354? cc Briggs and Stratton. The manual calls for synthetic 5W-30. Even though the engine manual says the engine wasn't prefilled, I found it fully filled with some type of oil.

I had the UOA done out of genuine curiosity. Oil was changed at the time the sample was taken. Filled it with AMSOIL ss 0w30 and gonna get a UOA done at the end of the season too!

You put $10 + dollar a quart oil into your lawn mower?

Don't get me wrong, I preach small engine maintaince more than most people I know..... I change the oil in my riding mower every 50 hours (right now it has royal purple 10W-30 synthetic that I got on clearance for $1.50 a quart and my tractor holds the better part of 2 quarts) and I STILL think this was a bit crazy.

It's nice to see the UOA, but unless your getting them for $10 or less it's a serious waste of money. I'd be dumping the oil and replacing it every spring. I don't bother with synthetic in my push mower, I just put a fresh fill of 10w-30 in each spring, clean the air filter up twice a season, and make sure to always run fresh fuel through it. At the end of each season I run the last fill of that "tru fuel" or pre canned fuel you get at wal-mart or whatever in it... no ethanol.

I can get on board with yearly oil changes. Amsoil brand oil and UOA's on a push mower... way overkill on a splash lube setup.

Keep the fuel clean and use Stabil in every tank and mowers will run forever. Most problems I see are due to old and/or dirty gas. Keep your gas in a good can tightly sealed with Stabil, and kept in a cool spot if possible. They can keep going on crappy old oil but not on crappy old fuel.

I don't understand trying to save money on lawnmower oil unless you're maintaining many of them. My lawnmower has Mobil 1ep 10w30. I used it because I already had it for my 76 Oldsmobile 350 engine but if I had to buy a QT to fill just my lawnmower I wouldn't cheap out. I buy what's on sale for my v8 engines because they hold 5 qts. I'm cheap. Why would I cheap out on the lawnmower?

Maybe I'm thinking differently because replacing the engine in my 84 olds or 83 Chevy would cost the same amount as buying a new lawnmower. But I'd feel better spending $300 on my car than my lawnmower.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
I've noticed that every time I change the oil in a mower it has some fine glittery stuff in it. Mowers seem to last a long time, though.

Mine don't look like that? Black if it went along time before a change. Now that I've changed my "new" used 1998 B&S 6 hp push mower a couple times it stays clean a while. Maybe a season (spring to fall).

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
I've noticed that every time I change the oil in a mower it has some fine glittery stuff in it. Mowers seem to last a long time, though.

Mine don't look like that? Black if it went along time before a change.

I bought my mower "well taken care of" used - -

I change the oil about every 5 years now that the shavings & grit has been flushed out the first few times the oil was changed. The oil still looks great. I might maybe change it this year.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv

Mine don't look like that? Black if it went along time before a change. Now that I've changed my "new" used 1998 B&S 6 hp push mower a couple times it stays clean a while. Maybe a season (spring to fall).

Drain the oil in a pan and look at it in direct sunlight while swishing it around and you'll see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back