I test drove a new Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by ls1mike
I just read, and I will look for it again, that the average price of a new vehicle is 35,000 dollars.

Yup, it's $36.5K.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...rding-to-kelley-blue-book-300804859.html

Thanks Pete, stuff is pricey. . I don't know how people do it, especially around here, housing is ridiculous, guess we just save a lot. I am a GS-12 step 8 and she is a GS-9 step 7 in the Seattle area, plus my retirement from the Navy of 1500 bucks a month. I won't write out what I make but people can look it up easy enough to see how much of a cheapskate I am. LOL.

I just read, and I will look for it again, that the average price of a new vehicle is 35,000 dollars.

Yup, it's $36.5K.

Thanks Pete, stuff is pricey. . I don't know how people do it,

I hear ya. My Charger was the first car I bought in 12 years, and first new car in 17 years.

Originally Posted by Smokescreen
For those who like to buy 2-3 years old vehicles they wait patiently for the depreciation to be readily absorbed by someone else....

...then swoop in for the great deal.
coffee2.gif

HM...NOT TRUCKS!

You obviously don't keep in tune what used truck pricing is right now......

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by Smokescreen
For those who like to buy 2-3 years old vehicles they wait patiently for the depreciation to be readily absorbed by someone else....

...then swoop in for the great deal.
coffee2.gif

HM...NOT TRUCKS!

You obviously don't keep in tune what used truck pricing is right now......

Spot on man. I could sell my 2002 with 55,000 miles and retire...
But seriously I can't believe what they get for a clapped out 10 year old Duramax/Cummins with 150,000 miles on it. I get the motor is most likely fine but what about all the other stuff.
Heck gas trucks are really holding value too!

Yup, it's $36.5K.

Thanks Pete, stuff is pricey. . I don't know how people do it, especially around here, housing is ridiculous, guess we just save a lot. I am a GS-12 step 8 and she is a GS-9 step 7 in the Seattle area, plus my retirement from the Navy of 1500 bucks a month. I won't write out what I make but people can look it up easy enough to see how much of a cheapskate I am. LOL.

How do people do it? Easy. They make the payments.

Nobody is writing checks for 35k for new trucks. They put 5k down, if that, or trade in their old car, and make the payments until it's either paid off or (more likely) they get sick of it and trade it in on something else. 72 months @ 6%+ 550/mo. payments are normal. Many pay more than that, both in interest and total payment. I know someone with an 84 month loan on their CUV.

We live in a society where people make payments on things like cell phones. A cell phone. Think about that - in 2002, would you imagine someone making payments on a Tracfone or a Virgin Mobile flip phone? No way.

When will it stop? When people stop getting paid. As long as there's an income, people will find a way to spend it.

These mini-me trucks are popular because people feel more comfortable driving them around in the city or in the suburbs. They are capable enough and will do what most people ask of them. [censored] most people just like "riding up high," so they buy a truck. They don't tow anything or even use the bed for anything more than groceries and a mountain bike on weekends.

Also, a guy on TheHullTruth just paid 29k OTD for a Colorado LT 4x4. So there ARE deals to be had. Another common problem is that people are spineless and have zero negotiation skills whatsoever. People just bend over and pay whatever dealers ask, including markup! I know someone who paid 35k for a Jetta and think they got a good deal.

As my grandfather always said - you only live once. Now for me, I personally drive a 16 year old pickup truck. Not because I have to, but because I want to. YMMV. At the end of the day, if you're happy with what you spent and with what you have, then that's all that matters.

Going to be pretty tough to get a "good deal" on a new Ranger for a while. The sticker on my Colorado LT 4x4 extended cab was $34,333. Didn't pay anywhere near that for it, but it did take me 3 months to get what I felt was a good deal. New/used truck prices are just insane.

Originally Posted by oilpsi2high

Yup, it's $36.5K.

Nobody is writing checks for 35k for new trucks. They put 5k down, if that, or trade in their old car, and make the payments until it's either paid off or (more likely) they get sick of it and trade it in on something else. 72 months @ 6%+ 550/mo. payments are normal. Many pay more than that, both in interest and total payment. I know someone with an 84 month loan on their CUV.

We live in a society where people make payments on things like cell phones. A cell phone. Think about that - in 2002, would you imagine someone making payments on a Tracfone or a Virgin Mobile flip phone? No way.

When will it stop? When people stop getting paid. As long as there's an income, people will find a way to spend it.

These mini-me trucks are popular because people feel more comfortable driving them around in the city or in the suburbs. They are capable enough and will do what most people ask of them. [censored] most people just like "riding up high," so they buy a truck. They don't tow anything or even use the bed for anything more than groceries and a mountain bike on weekends.

Also, a guy on TheHullTruth just paid 29k OTD for a Colorado LT 4x4. So there ARE deals to be had. Another common problem is that people are spineless and have zero negotiation skills whatsoever. People just bend over and pay whatever dealers ask, including markup! I know someone who paid 35k for a Jetta and think they got a good deal.

As my grandfather always said - you only live once. Now for me, I personally drive a 16 year old pickup truck. Not because I have to, but because I want to. YMMV. At the end of the day, if you're happy with what you spent and with what you have, then that's all that matters.

I get they make payments and other peoples finances are not my business, but when the median income in the US is about 65,000 dollars I have to assume people are living pay check to pay check and working just to pay for back debt.

I am lucky to live in an area with a large government shipyard and submarine base as well as living about an hour ferry ride from Seattle so the economy here is really good even during the crash we really didn't feel the affects.

I paid 295,000 for my house in 2010. The house across the street on the same size property with a similar size house with and no barn just sold for 440,000. The guy who bought it works at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard and has to factor in at least 300 hours of overtime a year to make all his payments. He asked why I don't have a new truck. I said, I don't want the payment. He hates overtime but wanted a new truck. I said would you need the overtime if you didn't have the truck? He said no. So I guess it is about priorities.

Having said all that 31,000 bucks for a new vehicle isn't horrible. I would just need more room for the family and something that could tow my travel trailer.

That's a generalization that's not true. I'm sure plenty of people do it, but I know plenty of people that buy cars with cash.

Funny how the US rags on these trucks but yet they're widely popular in Thailand and Laos. I've seen some interesting optioned Rangers and should of grabbed a pic or two. I seen a new Colorado today and if they bring that to the US it should sell. A lot of Colorado's have at least one ton overloads added.

I get they make payments and other peoples finances are not my business, but when the median income in the US is about 65,000 dollars I have to assume people are living pay check to pay check and working just to pay for back debt.

Yep, they are. When I was in auto insurance as an adjuster we had all the info on vehicles and whether or not they were financed. Most were, and even some you might not expect (15 year old corollas for example). Totaling a vehicle was always a nightmare, because they were NEVER worth as much as people owed on them, and they rarely had gap insurance or could afford the gap insurance. It was eye opening to me just how many people were in big financial trouble after totaling a vehicle, because some would owe as much as 20k more than their vehicle was actually worth. It was crazy.

Originally Posted by glock19

That's a generalization that's not true. I'm sure plenty of people do it, but I know plenty of people that buy cars with cash.

There absolutely are people who write checks or pay cash for new cars, they are very rare though.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071

There absolutely are people who write checks or pay cash for new cars, they are very rare though.

Why would they when they can get a higher rate of return elsewhere and the manufacturer is offering 0% financing with no additional fees?

Originally Posted by Miller88
Woah, those house prices are insane!

I'll take my $55k house with the 15 year mortgage.

I grew up in Catskill. While New York will always be home you can have those prices if they come with living in New York.
smile.gif
wink.gif

House prices around here are INSANE.

Last edited:
Once you own a truck-it's very easy to trade up. The values for trade ins are very high. Then couple that with a $10,000 to $12,000.00 discount from MSRP and it's pretty painless.

Originally Posted by Rand
dave1251 said:
The prices of vehicles are in line with inflation have been for at least 4 decades. The ridiculous part is believing everything should cost the same a decade ago.

same thing now would easily break 40k A couple of those is more than my house.

and the fact that you can get the f150 loaded up cheaper.
the jeep gladiator is also selling over sticker..

++++++++++++++++++
This Jeep:

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByaMOuDhuWH/?igshid=bb1exbmndz8b

There is nothing bad with paying monthly installments as long as money is cheap. Why would I spend cash, when I can put it in my kid's 529?
The problem is that people are lazy to go to local credit union and figure out deal with them. They either apply for loan online or at the dealership. I cannot remember when I took a loan last time without negotiating with credit union, and bcs. I am their regular customer they always throw some preferred interest rate etc. I got 2.9% last September on used Toyota Sienna, throw some cash, and monthly installment is not burden at all. I know people who pay 6-7% interest rate bcs. they just do not know want to look around for a deal.

My parents had that same mentality on acreage(own 17 acres) and needing a truck. Instead of buying new he bought my sisters 2000 Tundra 4wd extra cab with 95k in 2008 for around $11k from her which was trade in I believe. 2019 they still have it now with 150k and its running perfectly albeit a little bit of rust where some body work was done like in 2005.

A used Tundra albeit larger is nicer/comfortable riding truck then a Ranger ever can be and rides incredibly smooth with a Lexus like 4.7 V8 or whatever they use.

Have you considered a decent used truck to haul stuff or whatever people do with land. And driving something decent otherwise like a GTI or whatever?

If I were stuck on buying the smallish truck the Jeep Gladiator looks interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back