Hard Boiled eggs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to make hard boiled eggs that are "EASY" to peel. The eggs are cooked perfectly but, are usually difficult to peel because part of the egg shell is stuck to the egg. How do you people get your HB eggs to peel easy? Ed

Baking soda, about a tablespoon per dozen eggs, added to the water. Once boiled, dunk the eggs in ice water.

I've always heard to use old eggs - near their expiration date. Seems to work well for me.

I just asked one of my customers, a butcher shop, about this recently-they boil them, put them straight into ice water-they stated they practically peel themselves!

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
I just asked one of my customers, a butcher shop, about this recently-they boil them, put them straight into ice water-they stated they practically peel themselves!

No they don't, unless maybe if they are quite old.
smile.gif

Heat the eggs in water until the water starts to boil, then remove from heat, cover, and let sit for 15 minutes.

one thing for sure eggs are an excellent source of many essential nutrients, eat your eggs + forget the carby xtras that raise blood sugar + contribute to todays obese society + high number of diabetics!

Originally Posted by opus1
Heat the eggs in water until the water starts to boil, then remove from heat, cover, and let sit for 15 minutes.

This is what I do but then I put them in ice water for another 15 minutes. Take them out and crack the shell very well and peel under running water. Always works for me.

The easiest way I have found, with eggs I had stored in the refrigerator so they were cold still, is to heat the water to boiling before putting the eggs in.

That's it, then let them boil for 10 minutes, then take off the burner to sit a few (less than 5) more minutes in the pot in the hot water, before putting them in a washed egg carton, sort of turned sideways so they sit up and air dry.

I used to let them boil 3 minutes longer then put in cold water afterwards but found it did not make much difference, they were about the same easy peeling either way.

Adjust the times above based on how done you want them. I prefer them just done enough that the yolk is lighter yellow all the way to the middle.

Last edited:
They're easier to peel after they've been put in the fridge til the next day and as stated, under running water. Hard to peel when the're hot or right after they've been boiled.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
They're easier to peel after they've been put in the fridge til the next day and as stated, under running water. Hard to peel when the're hot or right after they've been boiled.
They're also difficult if refrigerated for a fairly long while after boiling. I haven't solved that one yet.

Originally Posted by Bud
Originally Posted by opus1

This is what I do but then I put them in ice water for another 15 minutes. Take them out and crack the shell very well and peel under running water. Always works for me.

This^^

if you use enough salt to matter it will just raise the boiling point.. you dont want to actually boil the eggs because it makes the yoke that nasty green color.

TDLR Giant pot of cold water, when it actually boils remove from heat and cover let sit 15min, put under ice water or at least rinse in cold water for a few mins.

Then peel under running water.

My wife and I learned a trick several years ago that involved plunging cold eggs directly from the refrigerator right into already boiling water. That trick worked pretty well, but we've found that the only way to go is with a steamer.

We have one similar to this - there are also larger steamers that hold more eggs.

Egg Steamer

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back