After 14,000 lug nuts I got Torque wrench calibrated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1/2 inch 250ftlb Precision Instruments spilt-beam torque wrench I paid about $200 15 years ago. Had it calibrated 8 years ago, and have torqued over 14000 lug nuts since. Even though it always felt right I tried not to worry about it, but figured since I have saved over $600 on yearly calibrations, it seemed spending $50 to get it checked would probably be worth it. Well, it checked out perfect with no adjustments needed. It actually improved over time in the 80-150 range I normally use. I will never buy a harbor freight torque wrench, when for a little more money in the long run, a quality tool can be cheaper to own. The best thing about the split-beam is there no need to constantly back it down to zero, which is probably why it has never needed any adjustments since new.

IMG_5800.JPG

IMG_5801.JPG

Last edited:
I've been looking at one of those in the 250ft range. Looks like what you have. I think i will get one!

Did you have a local place calibrate it? Or did you send it out?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Traction
The best thing about the split-beam is there no need to constantly back it down to zero, which is probably why it has never needed any adjustments since new.
I hate that, a PI split beam 1/2" is definitely on my tool list.

Originally Posted by E150GT
You count the lugs you tighten?

I can get close. Just count up how many tires you install in a year, multiply by 5. It is actually much higher than that with the 6-8 lug wheels, plus I quite often make another pass around the bolt pattern. I always come back to the first lug nut I torque and if it moves, I go around again. Watch out if it takes another pass to come up to torque. That could indicate a problem I've found out a few too many times.

Last edited:
I recently had my 48 year old Snapon 200 ft-lb click type wrench calibrated for the first time. It was off at the high end, by about 5.5%. Replacement of a $7 part and calibration afterwards brought it back within 3%. It has seen a lot less use than yours, for DIY stuff only.

a quality tool for sure thats a little more than a little more $$$, but a decent torque wrench is a good investment for sure. just looked a bit, not cheap but better than expected especially on e-bay. used + new from authorized distributors

You'll love this story....So, I get some 225/40r 18 and 255/35r18 Michelin PS4s for my BMW X1.

That's lower profile from 225/45r18 and 255/40r18, but I wanna buy and install at Discount Tire because of how good the service is.

They won't do it since the 255/35r18 has 1356 load rating instead of 1389....BS ....insignificant for tirE that is raTED TO 186 MPH.

So I go to the Ghetto Wheel World for installation where on can buy a $1400/wheel for $2800 on a years payment schedule.

Two workers mess with one car for 2 hours and then another for 2 hours. Finally they are on mine as store closing.

One guy runs up lugs with gun. while the longer working there guy TORQUES them.

I knew they were too tight, but went home. If I could have gotten them all off I'd forgetton the sloopy torquing.

Couldn't get a few so went back 2 weeks later, aND store manager was indignant! WE TORQUE ALL TO SPECS!

So I say try to break one with my manual indicater torque bar. He nearly falls over backwards, and say my bar is off.
smile.gif

Really cause I'min a wheelchair and I can easily take off lug torqued to the 88 ft/# specs of BMW?

So, I guess all these numbnuts can't reason. OF COURSE TORQUE WRENCH WILL POP OFF WHEN IT HITS 88 ft/#'s, but it can't measure the extra 100 ft/#'s!

Nice. This looks like my Snap-On unit from 20+ years ago that I still use regularly. I should probably have it re-calibrated at some point...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back