Project Farm synthetic oil comparisons

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have followed this channel for a bit and had some interesting presentations. He has done virgin oil comparisons and will include a link to one featuring all 5w30 weights of Redline, Pennzoil, Amsoil, and Kendall. Would be interested in people's opinion regarding validity of testing and results. There are similar videos on you tube where he features Schaefer's 9000 5w30 which "beat" Mobil 1 5w30 annual performance. This is the link to playlist and after that just copied link for most recent comparisons.

His nonsense gets posted here quite often, nothing in them of any worth (which has been endlessly explained in other threads).

It's interesting, that's all it is. It has almost no correlation to how well an oil will perform in your engine. Mindless entertainment. I'll give him credit though in that he tries very hard to remain completely neutral and unbiased.

I find his videos interesting but don't think they correlate that well to real world use. Cold flow is one and it kind of is useful but that one characteristic is not enough to choose an oil. He does a bearing test that is interesting but again not how a car engine wears.

Entertaining. And although there's no way for him to recreate the internal conditions in an engine, his methods are consistent and fair and may have some correlation to how the oil will fare.

It's the "low tech" version of pqia.
lol.gif

I feel naïve. I am not mechanically inclined so am intially impressed with someone who has those attributes. He seems so earnest "aw shucks" and empirical-wonder if it is too late to cancel my Project Farm shirt collection?...€ I did wonder if the tests he did had any validity especially since Pennzoil knocked off one of my favorites Redline in last "competition."
Think his "March Madness" setup also appealed to one reason joined Bitog many years ago-while illogical-do find different oils and brands that kind of root for-whether that's based on marketing-fascination with ester basestocks-or just finding some oils cool.

He's in it for the money. He "tests" other things as well, some of them are downright stupid. A while back someone posted here how much he makes every month from clicks and views and it was quite a bit.

very little but some actual good info. i can cay from experience my girlfriends 2013 2.5L DI malibu loves amazon basics euro spec synthetic 5-40 mote than similar liqui moly because it drinks MORE of it!!! once + done with that stuff for sure

I find it interesting that Mobil does the same type pour test to demonstrate their Synthetic is better than conventional oil. Give the guy some credit for showing how cold oil flows and differences. O, I forget that we are the " self" appointed experts in the field of oil testing. Ed

The important thing to take from his cold flow tests is that even if there is a winner, it is not a winner by much. If you need colder flow than 5W-20, get 0W-20.

What entertains me much more is when he tries oil alternatives like bacon grease or shampoo, and all the abuse of his lawn mowers.

Some are quite useful though, like his comparisons of sawzall blades performance vs lifspan vs price. In particular it's nice to see how much of a trade off you're making to get the cheap stuff at Harbor Freight for not just saw blades but several different items.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dave9
The important thing to take from his cold flow tests is that even if there is a winner, it is not a winner by much. If you need colder flow than 5W-20, get 0W-20.

We do have to remember, though, that pour doesn't demonstrate pumpability, which is what cold weather ratings are based upon (and cold cranking). Pour testing for winter grading disappeared years ago for a reason.

I'm part of several car / racing groups on Facebook. Every time he posts a new video, they spread across the groups like wildfire. Now people are bashing Red Line and promoting Super Tech. They take everything they see in those videos as gospel and legitimate testing. I don't find his videos interesting. I find them as junk science that spreads more myths and misinformation, and makes my job a nightmare when a customer decides he can pour SuperTech in his .610" lift solid flat tappet 7500 rpm small block because "it's just as good as Red Line. Just watch the video." If he wipes a cam lobe, I hope he doesn't expect me to honor the warranty.

Last edited:
Penrite, the Aussie brand did great...I'm a proud Australian.

Unfortunately, my engineering head shuts down my national pride, as there's really nothing (* - NEARLY nothing) that's of any use in the videos other than entertainment....and I do find them entertaining.

Measuring viscosity in "delta inches" (that's the measure for how the comparisons work according to his verbage)....would love to see those in a spreadsheet to qualify "delta basestocks" in "delta inches"....but that's another problem for another day.

The little part that I DO find worthwhile is the cooked/virgin viscosity race...an oil is allowed to slip a "W" grade in service, and I find it personally interesting in how little some oils are effected by the cooking process...would like to see the cooking contain water vapour, CO, nitric oxides and the like...

Originally Posted by kschachn
His nonsense gets posted here quite often, nothing in them of any worth (which has been endlessly explained in other threads).

100% agree totally. Want to do tests? Try longest oci, -55 or lower cold flow, cost analysis of what oil gives you best value/performance, dyno,noack test. The four ball wear is so tiring. Never seem to see one performed with the lubricant at 212F. Running tests on a lawn mower isnt a car. After seeing him add LOS to his truck I lost all faith in his testing.

I like the see through cylinder head he built so you can see the compression explosions. The other day I watched him add a nitrous kit to a motorized bicycle.

Other than that it is mildly entertaining and he puts tired old mower engines to some sort of use. No harm no foul.

His videos are conducted on two-stroke farm and lawn equipment and because of that I do not fully trust the results to correlate to an actual vehicle and how the same things would perform.

You have more accuracy sticking a jog of four motor oils in the freezer and pouring them out in the morning or after they get cold to determine flow, that also is not indicative of an actual engine performance however is some form of general reference, versus how his lawnmowers perform etc. Even a jug. Even four jugs. Several bad car video channels on youtube, this is one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back