Fram end caps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a Fram basher but if the OCOD/TG is good enough for Honda and Subaru, it's good enough for me. And besides, OE Thai/Chinese Denso for Toyota/Yamaha/Suzuki have nekkid ends.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
I certainly wouldn't buy any filters with cardboard end caps.

I don't either for the most part, mine don't have any end caps at all.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
Here we go again. If Honda asking Honeywell / Fram to make filters that also uses cardboard end caps, recommending it for 2 OCI (15k miles), and is fine, and have no problem after 15 years, I'd just not worry about it.

Yeah, it's funny that many other filters don't use metal end caps, yet Fram is the only brand that gets bashed over it. Lots of people don't have any kind of mechanical logic, therefore they eat up all the misinformation on YouTube and other social media (aka: brain rotting) sites.

Kind of hard to get rid of that picture in my mind of a Fram that looks like a wet paper bag. I still use them though because even sporting that wet paper bag look they don't tear.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by Duffyjr
I certainly wouldn't buy any filters with cardboard end caps.

I don't either for the most part, mine don't have any end caps at all.

I'm guessing they come with the car.

I should also clear my statement up, "I wouldn't buy any with cardboard end caps", but I would have no problem with fiber end caps.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
I laugh at people who bash Fram for having "cardboard end caps" while they blindly spin an ACDelco filter on their GM.

FRAM I now trust...

I still don't care for E-core

WHAT'S WRONG WITH E-CORE?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
...all the misinformation on YouTube and other social media (aka: brain rotting) sites.

You forgot to include this website

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
...all the misinformation on YouTube and other social media (aka: brain rotting) sites.

You forgot to include this website

It's included ... plenty of misinformation around here too.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted by Donald
But the best Fram filters have metal end caps right?

That is correct sir. I wonder why that is?
36.gif

Most likely because the wire mesh backed media needs metal endcaps for proper support/bonding. XG and TG don't, and thus don't need metal endcaps.

Originally Posted by SirTanon
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted by Donald
But the best Fram filters have metal end caps right?

That is correct sir. I wonder why that is?
36.gif

Most likely because the wire mesh backed media needs metal endcaps for proper support/bonding. XG and TG don't, and thus don't need metal endcaps.

This is correct. They've officially stated that they need a deeper well of adhesive and that deeper well can only be achieved using a metal endcap that is turned upward around the edges. The fiberboard end cap is completely flat and cannot accommodate anything more than a thin layer of adhesive.

There is no conspiracy here and anyone who thinks the metal end caps on ultras are there because they're better, is talking out of their [censored].

"DURRR it looks like cardboard so it's got to be cardboard!" = typical idiocy. Filter media looks even more fragile and softer than the end caps, I don't see anyone [censored] about how those came apart and clogged oil passages, yet they're on every single filter in existence that isn't a metal screen rock catcher, and there have been proven cases where multiple brands of filters experienced holes in filter media, resulting in chunks of filter media disappearing. Maybe they should worry about that more than the end caps...

Speaking of brain rot, what's up with most oil filter companies descriptions of what their filter's grand features are? You can't find a standards-based description of the media filtering capability for a lot of products. Seems like that is a basic function of an oil filter, but instead you get something like this description from ACDelco:
The nylon core of the ACDelco Professional Oil filters are engineered with filtration to capture particulates as small as 30 microns.

Kudos to FRAM for at least providing basic filtering information, but here is a place I wish the FTC or some agency could step in and demand uniform, standards-based descriptions of a product's capabilities.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Anybody that calls fiber endcaps cardboard, should not be allowed dinner tonight, breakfast tomorrow and lunch on Friday.

LOL , ok .... sorry I should have used engineered fiber end caps.... but hey I didnt know hence my question :)

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by Baveux
I do not want to start the endcap war here...

The moderators here should lock/delete every thread that includes this or similar phrase.

It was truly not my intention but I remember that in the past that some bitogers are overly sensitive to some question and or topic brought by the newbies .... BTW I have not seen the war yet ....

Originally Posted by Bud
The problems is people who think the ends caps are actually cardboard. I guess they figure Fram takes in all of Amazon's used shipping boxes and then uses them to cut their end caps.

Cardboard was really not the proper terminology, thats why I wrote a ..... cardboard ..... this way, no im ignorant but not totally stupid, i know pretty well that the media isnt glued to real carboard, but if you go back 4/5 years ago cardboard was the word used to describe the fram end caps .... so ....

Here we go again. If Honda asking Honeywell / Fram to make filters that also uses cardboard end caps, recommending it for 2 OCI (15k miles), and is fine, and have no problem after 15 years, I'd just not worry about it.

Yeah, it's funny that many other filters don't use metal end caps, yet Fram is the only brand that gets bashed over it. Lots of people don't have any kind of mechanical logic, therefore they eat up all the misinformation on YouTube and other social media (aka: brain rotting) sites.

But you know what ? Its here on bitog's you know ? the site loaded with info from the cream of the crop that I've learned maybe 4/5 years ago or more to stay away from Fram the orange can of doom .... so i was just asking a simple question , no secret agenda here

Moderators please close this thread ... I have nothing else to learn from it and I do not want to disturb a few guys with a lot of seniority .... actually thanks to all who respond precisely to the question without inserting their BS comments serving absolutly no purpose, we dont see that often nowaday ...

Last edited:

But you know what ? Its here on bitog's you know ? the site loaded with info from the cream of the crop that I've learned maybe 4/5 years ago or more to stay away from Fram the orange can of doom .... so i was just asking a simple question , no secret agenda here

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5126061/re-fram-end-caps#Post5126061

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5126061/re-fram-end-caps#Post5126061

Yup I noticed :) I also noticed some other thing that Ill keep for myself , anyway thanks Sir :)

Moderators please close this thread ...

Pretty sure that the moderators don't read all posts in all threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back