Wow! Chevron Delo XLE so quiet the wife noticed on her own!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as the title says. I put in some Delo XLE 10W30 in my 2005 Outback with a new XG7317 filter, and did not let my wife know about the change. I also dumped the front differential fill of unknown and replaced it with Motul Gear 300. I get home yesterday, and she says, "What did you do to the car yesterday?" I asked why, and she said "the engine was really quiet and the car seemed to drive smoother."

I know it's completely subjective, but my wife never notices anything that I think she should. So I thought it was pretty notable that she actually initiated the conversation about a difference in sound. I already know from personal experience this is a solid oil, along with dustyroads' UOAs from his semi. I'll probably run this out 7500 miles and see what it looks like.

Good stuff, that XLE. Been looking for the 5W30 version.

BTW..... your wifey knew you worked on it. You adjusted the seat and even moved the rear-view mirror.
Don't you know that you're supposed to put these things back in their original position, when finished? That includes driving the vehicle back and parking in the exact same place..... front wheels turned exactly the same also.

.................. and don't dare touch that radio station next time either.

I changed from QS 5-30 syn to Chevron XSP 5-30
And it as well has been a noticeable difference

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
BTW..... your wifey knew you worked on it. You adjusted the seat and even moved the rear-view mirror.

Actually I didn't even get into the car, just under it. I just jacked it up where it sat for the oil change and sucked the gear oil out of the dipstick tube, and used the remote start to circulate the fluids before checking the levels.

I don't get into all the oil analysis stuff, I just know Chevron oils work from personal experience. My 3.8L runs just as quiet on Supreme 5w30 as the slightly more expensive Havoline SB 5/30 or QS SB 5w30. I believe the Supreme 5/30 is a SB also. But I bet I'd do just fine on conventional Supreme 5w30.

Originally Posted by jbutch
QSUD to Rotella MV 5w-30, noticed a difference in noise and smoothness. HDEO rules!

I would have tried the Rotella MV but not available in my area
Well pleased with the Chevron XSP ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Originally Posted by jbutch
QSUD to Rotella MV 5w-30, noticed a difference in noise and smoothness. HDEO rules!

I would have tried the Rotella MV but not available in my area
Well pleased with the Chevron XSP ðŸ‘

Same thing for me, except it's Chevron that isn't available here.

I looked over the PDS for Delo XSP and Rotella MV, they are very similar with same certs.

Last edited:
Some new oil additives are springy, like trillions of microscopic rubber balls. They are adaptive, take pressure hits and absorb the force, cushioning the parts interactively. Definitely the newer oils are better.

Neither my wife nor I noticed any difference when I changed to the 10w-30 XLE in our Santa Fe.
Not sure what was in there before from the dealer change when we bought it (used that for 2000 miles).

Everything I have read about it though shows it to be a good oil though.
I will only be using it for 3000 miles though.
Short run so I can get the mileage to 15,000, then start a 5000 mile interval with synthetics (I have 6 changes of Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30 in my stash for it).

Originally Posted by sdowney717
Some new oil additives are springy, like trillions of microscopic rubber balls.

I like this. Especially the scientific term "springy".
They should use descriptions like this in oil advertisements.
coffee2.gif

They have already used this....Bardahl….Fullerenes(?) small 'ball bearing' oil additives.

Don't know if they are still used.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by sdowney717
Some new oil additives are springy, like trillions of microscopic rubber balls.

I like this. Especially the scientific term "springy".
They should use descriptions like this in oil advertisements.
coffee2.gif

Springy is OK, but " Stoutness " rules.
13.gif

Originally Posted by ad244
I've been looking for a good 10w-30 that quiets noisy top ends in my Samurai, Maybe I'll try this

Better than Maxlife????

That is it.

Better in what way? It is a good oil, as is Maxlife.
It does cost more than Maxlife though.
Worst case is you try it and it makes no difference in engine noise, it will not cause any harm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back