I test drove a new Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.
New trucks are expensive, since most are turning into the do-all vehicle. People want something that is luxurious, can tow 10,000 lbs, seat 5, and also get 25+ mpg with good power. The cheaper work truck versions are rare, and when you do find them used they are all beat.

I worked on a farm, and there a truck was never a daily driver. Trucks were always work trucks that were only driven when being used to haul stuff. Usually Silverados or F250s/F350s that were bought used for cheap and driven until they rotted away. For many people an SUV with a trailer makes more sense, I've owned my trailer for 6 years now and would take it over a truck any day, especially when moving heavy stuff due to the load ramp and lower lift height.

When I was looking at Rangers back in 2007, I remember brand new (fully loaded, top of the line FX4 model) ones going for $24-27k. I bought mine used; it was one year old and had 12k miles. It's the Sport model, which I believe is the next trim level down from the FX4. Almost fully-loaded; just about every feature except no jump seats and no sliding rear window. Also it's the 2-door extended cab, not the 4 door with the suicide half-doors. I paid $18k for mine.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Jeezus that price is ridiculous...

Is it? I bought a fully loaded Siverado LTZ for $43,000.00 plus taxes. I don't really think the price is out of line.

A lot of outrage over pricing what is a new vehicle for Ford here. Reality is since it is new, they can get more or less whatever they ask for it. Give it a year or two, and watch the actual price out the door drop once it isn't the shiny new thing. Example: the MSRP on my XLT Supercrew (about as fully loaded as the XLT can be) F150 was just over 50k. Actual price was just under 37k before taxes once incentives were all factored in.

What is Ford supposed to do, not make money while the getting is good?

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I test drove an extended cab 4X4 with the 6' bed. The rear seats are a joke but Ford does offer a rear seat delete if you special order it. The truck doesn't ride very good. Maybe it's actually designed to haul stuff. I can get over the ride although. The engine has plenty of power and works very well with the 10 speed transmission.
The 10 speed transmission seems to work better in the Ranger than in a F150 I test drove. I really liked not needing to micro correct the steering unlike the F150 I test drove.

I really like the size of the truck. I've never liked large vehicles.

The price makes it a bad deal compared to the deep discounts offered on new full size trucks.
I wish the fuel tank held a few more gallons.
My wife put a ton of miles on my VW for business travel and it's time to mothball it. It has 163K on it and we live on 5 acres and I need a truck.

You can click on the window sticker to enlarge it.

[Linked Image]

I would look for used for a farm truck and keep the VW as a spare (well maintained) vehicle. You can get a used F150 4x4 in XL or XLT cheaper than your deal on that new Ranger. FWIW, I like the new Ranger and have no problem with the 2.3 ecoboost and 10spd combo. I have no problem with the size of the truck and I like something a little smaller as well. I have a problem with the pricing strategy from FORD. This this needs to be several thousand cheaper. Anyway, I'm happy with my F150 SuperCrew and won't be letting go of it anytime in the foreseeable future. (got it new in 2016)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
$31K+ for a frigging RANGER?? Ford is on crack, no wonder they're in trouble. Nobody in their right mind is paying that, I can't imagine a base F-150 would be any more. I know it's been a while, but I bought the Cummins Ram 3500, Mega Cab, 4X4, leather interior (granted aftermarket), 35K miles on it, still under warranty, for $28K in '08-and I thought THAT was a lot!

Just went on Craigslist and found this...
https://bham.craigslist.org/ctd/d/cullman-2013-ram-2500-laramie-mega-cab/6904353389.html
6-7 years old, 3/4 ton, over 100K miles, out of warranty, for the low price of $41,900. Similar trucks seem to be listed for about the same.

Compared to similar current vehicles, there doesn't seem to be anything out of line about the new Ranger's price. Colorados, Canyons, and Tacomas are $40K too. The Frontier is probably a little cheaper since the design is about 15 years old now.

For those who like to buy 2-3 years old vehicles they wait patiently for the depreciation to be readily absorbed by someone else....

...then swoop in for the great deal.
coffee2.gif

I took my GT500 to get the air bag recalls done this AM...I was reading this thread while waiting so I went out and looked at them, I didn't see a single new ranger that was that cheap and they were all short box beds, all were 4x4 and all had the 2.3EB.

Originally Posted by Smokescreen
For those who like to buy 2-3 years old vehicles they wait patiently for the depreciation to be readily absorbed by someone else....

...then swoop in for the great deal.
coffee2.gif

I'm not sure about your part of the country , but around here, a 5 year old vehicle with 50K miles is, at best, only $3000 under the price of an identical new vehicle.

It hasn't changed much in the last 8 years. When I bought my 2011 Focus in 2011, they were selling 2008/2009 Focuses for $15K used. I paid $11k new.

Ford wants 4k for the 4x4 option alone.
Just checked Chevy and they want 4K for the 4x4 option too. Really? So ridiculous for something so rarely used.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Just checked Chevy and they want 4K for the 4x4 option too. Really? So ridiculous for something so rarely used.

Depends on where you live, we use 4x4 all the time up here in the winter.

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
$31K+ for a frigging RANGER?? Ford is on crack, no wonder they're in trouble. Nobody in their right mind is paying that, I can't imagine a base F-150 would be any more. I know it's been a while, but I bought the Cummins Ram 3500, Mega Cab, 4X4, leather interior (granted aftermarket), 35K miles on it, still under warranty, for $28K in '08-and I thought THAT was a lot!

Just went on Craigslist and found this...
https://bham.craigslist.org/ctd/d/cullman-2013-ram-2500-laramie-mega-cab/6904353389.html
6-7 years old, 3/4 ton, over 100K miles, out of warranty, for the low price of $41,900. Similar trucks seem to be listed for about the same.

Compared to similar current vehicles, there doesn't seem to be anything out of line about the new Ranger's price. Colorados, Canyons, and Tacomas are $40K too. The Frontier is probably a little cheaper since the design is about 15 years old now.

Asking price does not = selling price.

Honestly, I haven't seen that many on the road here. I've read their ride is rough. It's a nice-looking truck, but it's based on a global platform that has been around since 2012. I paid less for my Ram CC (new).

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta

For the most part, the e-locker equipped on a 2WD should do just as well in most situations.

For 7500 pounds. That's not a bad deal at all!

To be honest I think a most trucks are pretty pricey. I look all the time but still keep my 02 My SIL just bought a 2009 LTZ Duramax with 100,000 miles on it for 35,000. That is the going rate out here. Seems like so much money too me.
Maybe I am just a cheapskate. The wife and I work and we do pretty good, but I can bring myself to have a 500 to 700 dollar a month vehicle payment.

The new Ranger looks like a nice truck. I have not seen one in person yet. A small truck would not meet my needs, but it works for a lot folks. They will sell them.

Edit:

Having looked the sticker again. 31,000 isn't horrible. This truck is not for me, but lots of people will like it. I just read, and I will look for it again, that the average price of a new vehicle is 35,000 dollars.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back