Turn down the noise!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering where you live and the age of the car, I would give it a good look over. Exhaust leaks would be a source of increased noise. Thicker oil couldn't hurt.

I would agree with the idea of checking over the car more thoroughly than just swapping in some 'thick' oil. Is it a combination of tensioner assembly, motor mounts, and whatever else versus more than a valve tick?? Can the noise be isolated?? I'm not sure it's clear what "loud" is...

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by clinebarger
Is it the engine that's louder....Or just a tinny/poorly insulated penalty box of a car??

These were, decent long lasting vehicles and a factor of ten better than that Toy rolla in your signature.

Toyota had their own version of the Cavalier as well

Originally Posted by KenshinHimura
Is it the engine that's louder....Or just a tinny/poorly insulated penalty box of a car??

These were, decent long lasting vehicles and a factor of ten better than that Toy rolla in your signature.

I must have missed that just what model was it? Oh maybe the Scion?

Originally Posted by KenshinHimura

Which model was that?

I'd start by sticking a bottle of Liqui-Moly moly treatment into it.

It can't hurt at all, will help the timing chain, and may quiet things down.

Maybe check motor mounts?

Green bottle quaker state used to be a "quiet" oil.

Also Motorcraft SS.

Don't know how the new formulation fare.

Maybe we should all try QS again its in the green bottle again?

Originally Posted by addyguy
I'd start by sticking a bottle of Liqui-Moly moly treatment into it.

It can't hurt at all, will help the timing chain, and may quiet things down.

That might work. Even at 15 years old, she still has under 50k miles. So I know something like high mileage might not work.

This on the other hand might hush it a bit.....

Originally Posted by supton

Cavalier? In the rustbelt? I dare say I see more Corollas up here. Maybe where rust isn't a problem the tables would be turned (not saying all 'rollas are good, they certainly had a bad batch of oil burners).

I'd go with earplugs. If adventurous you could rip out the interior and add sound deadner.

You could check for bad wheel bearings and/or bad tires. Those can be loud.

Sadly, they do get eaten alive here....why the wife's 16 year old Cav won't see this winter.....

Don't think it's those...can hear that engine loud and clear when the hood is up....

Originally Posted by PimTac
Considering where you live and the age of the car, I would give it a good look over. Exhaust leaks would be a source of increased noise. Thicker oil couldn't hurt.

Agreed. It's about that time as well.....

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
Ah yes, GMC's Accord killer.

The Accord was never matched up against the Cavalier. The Honda Civic was.

That, and I was wondering about the GMC part...

Maybe the heads are carboned up from all the slow acceleration.

Would like to think not...she gets a nice "clearing" on the freeway....
grin.gif

Though the car was driven quite a bit today, and it got a "slight" bit quieter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back