Can I safely use STP Oil Treatment in my car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
I have a 91 dodge Dakota 4cy 5 speed that will not quit. It does use oil. If you run anything other than 5/10W30 in it there is a lifter tick that last for a while after starting. If you try to use XW40 or HM oil in it to cut the consumption the lifters DO NOT like it. But 10W30 and STP 4CY , no tick, oil consumption cut in half. It is NOT sitting on the bottom of the pan. It is doing something. I may be one of very few, but for me it works

Rod

All it did was thicken the viscosity and weakened the additve pack.

It's not a miracle cure, but it CAN quiet down noisy engines. I just added it to my Soul that has a clattery valvetrain at start up. Dulled the noise a bit, but is still there.

I'd try a HM 5w20 or 5W30 and a different filter. If that doesn't help Schaeffers #132 will accomplish what you're trying to do, and it is considered a much better product than STP by many on Bitog.

Originally Posted by JC1
As others have said, skip the STP. I would try a different oil. What is currently in the sump now?

I'm just using Carquest conventional 5w-20. Black jug.

Originally Posted by cwilliamsws6
Originally Posted by JC1
As others have said, skip the STP. I would try a different oil. What is currently in the sump now?

I'm just using Carquest conventional 5w-20. Black jug.

I would try a 40 grade oil.

I agree, put a heavier weight oil in there. STP's not doing any appreciable thickening of the 5W20 towards the goal you have. In days gone by it was additional zinc the STP provided. I don't believe it provides enough ppm per volume to do anything worthwhile in terms of that anymore. Pure feel good for the owner, car doesn't know.

Originally Posted by cwilliamsws6
I'm currently running 5w-20 which is what is specified. Looking at the old maintenance logs in the owners' manual, the previous owner used 5W-30 a lot. Interesting

There may well have been a reason why the previous owner chose that weight. Go back to that weight and note any changes -- is the sound better, or worse?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back