Akebonos vs Duralast Gold brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
In terms of quality, which one has better braking power?

Akebonos Pro Act vs Duralast Gold

Akebono for sure
smile.gif

The problem with the house brand pads is that you have no idea who made them or what quality they are
crazy2.gif

Akebono is Ultra Premium
Duralast Gold is Premium

Both good choices, Autozone offers free replacement once your first set of Duralast is done, so you may consider that.

Plus if you read the warranty on Akebono, it's usually just a 30 day warranty unless you buy it from a place like FCPEuro which offers a lifetime warranty on all the parts they sell.

I like Akebono just because of the lack of brake dust for my application. Don't know about Duralast.

Duralast Golds on one of my cars were garbage. The dust would burn/rust into my wheel paint. Must have been Semi-Metallic. I trashed them after about 5000 miles.

I don't believe that anything with Duralast on it is really Premium.

Originally Posted by painfx
In terms of quality, which one has better braking power?

Akebonos Pro Act vs Duralast Gold

What car?
I used once Akebono on VW CC, and they were absolute POS from brake performance side.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Akebono for sure
smile.gif

The problem with the house brand pads is that you have no idea who made them or what quality they are
crazy2.gif

+1 - and the company that made Duralast one year may not be the same one who currently makes it.

These days my first choice for all my vehicles is the Akebono ProAct ceramic. I also think there is a good chance when you provide Akebono pads to a indy shop to have brakes done that they know you care about the vehicle and will do a better jobs than if you are just looking for the basic brake job. (Thats my theory).

Last edited:
If you have a Honda that came with Akebono brake pads from the factory, then buy those because ProAct are definitely not the same quality.

You could most likely do front and rear pads with the Raybestos EHT for cheaper than a set of either of those and have a much better pad.
I have put them on everything i own, and going on family members cars when they need brakes.

The old "Carbon Metallic" brand pads AutoZone used to sell years ago were awesome!

....but apparently, not profitable enough?

The "plain" Duralast (not Gold) lifetime warranty pads are not too bad, but they are dusty, also

DO NOT GET the Ceramic pads from Autozone - those are total garbage. I hated everything about them.

Originally Posted by PPWarrior
Akebono is Ultra Premium
Duralast Gold is Premium

Who says or classifies this ?

Originally Posted by Donald
I also think there is a good chance when you provide Akebono pads to a indy shop to have brakes done that they know you care about the vehicle and will do a better jobs than if you are just looking for the basic brake job. (Thats my theory).

It's a nice idea but not sure how much weight it holds. It could also mean the customer knows nothing more than what he/she read about "the best" brake pads on some random internet forum and Akebono (or insert some other brand's fan-boys) out-voted everyone else.

Any reason just those 2 you are looking at? Neither one of them is bad but the both are over priced IMO.

The Raybestos EHT would also get my vote. Rockauto has them at a good price and they work well.

Between those two, they are both average in terms of stopping power. I recently took off a set of Akebono Pro-Act's and swapped them Raybestos EHT based on the reviews I read on here and I like them better. Bite is more responsive and I can actually launch my passenger toward the windshield now
smile.gif

Originally Posted by BigD1
If you have a Honda that came with Akebono brake pads from the factory, then buy those because ProAct are definitely not the same quality.

Yep - Akebono supplies the OEMs with different friction formulas, while the ProACT series is more of a compromise.

Duralast, BrakeBest and Wearever are all made in India or China by MAT Roulunds. So is the new Bendix since MAT bought the rights to the trademark from Honeywell. Roulunds was making their pads in Denmark as the OEM for Volvo.

Originally Posted by Donald
I also think there is a good chance when you provide Akebono pads to a indy shop to have brakes done that they know you care about the vehicle and will do a better jobs than if you are just looking for the basic brake job. (Thats my theory).

Doubtful, they're probably more irritated that they can't make a buck off selling you the pads too, though if they're not cutting you a price break for supplying your own, over their actual cost for what they'd use, they'll be happy to make a little more margin.

Ultimately if you think the quality of their work varies due to something like this, or whether your car is clean, or whatever, if there is any chance of a cause for not doing that "better" (complete) job, you should never let that shop TOUCH your brakes.

Last edited:
This fall I'll be in the market for pads for my wife's 09 CRV. I've noticed recently Rock Auto has added an option of including the brake hardware with the Akebono which did not happen before. They have also added the Brembo NAO ceramic line of pads for this car. Have no idea what the NAO means. So what would the comparison be between the Akebono, Brembo and the Raybestos hybrid pads.

Originally Posted by kwijibo
This fall I'll be in the market for pads for my wife's 09 CRV. I've noticed recently Rock Auto has added an option of including the brake hardware with the Akebono which did not happen before. They have also added the Brembo NAO ceramic line of pads for this car. Have no idea what the NAO means. So what would the comparison be between the Akebono, Brembo and the Raybestos hybrid pads.

NAO = Non-Asbestos Organic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back