21 mm Impact Socket issue with impact wrench

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a set of thin-wall impact sockets on Amazon and when I remove the wheel for tire rotation the 21mm socket tends to hold on to the lug nut. In fact, it is so difficult that a screwdriver edge cannot separate the lug nut from the socket. I have to insert the lug nut back on the wheel and manually twist(wiggle) it off for separation. I tried using grease inside the socket and it doesn't help. In the past, the lug nuts use to fly-off like a NASCAR pit-stop.

The lug nuts are in good shape and not torn-up to cause binding.
Any suggestions?

I am thinking about buying a Hyundai 21mm impact socket

What is so special about this impact socket?

I can't imagine the socket would be smaller than 21mm but it would be worth measuring with a caliper. Probably more likely that the nuts are slightly deformed. Several of my Cadillac nuts had this issue so I replaced them.

Try another 21mm socket or 13/16" socket.. I use either w/o issue. I believe the 13/16 is actually ever so slightly smaller however for some reason, it seems larger over my lugnuts. IDKY! Could be the age/usage of the socket set that I have?????????

Last edited:
How does the socket fit before you apply torque? Does it go on really tight? or freely? or does it have a bunch of slop in the fit? I've seen some cheaper sockets have a bunch of slop in the fit, and it's not enough to round over the nut, but it is enough to seemingly get the nut wedged into the socket. Without physically being able to see or feel the fit, it's going to be hard to say. Try a different socket and see what happens. Try a 13/16 as others have said... it's slightly smaller than a 21. Do you mind sharing what brand these sockets are?

It is either the socket or the lugnuts, Get a new socket. same issue get new lugnuts.

Also could try a 13/16(20.6mm) is smaller.. might help with them twisting slightly in the socket and getting stuck.

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Try it without the impact driver. Same results?

I wanted to check each wheel's torque settings since the Toyota dealership tech's just add the wheels off.
So this past weekend, I used the 21mm socket and a breaker bar to re-loosen the lugs (slightly) before re-torquing with the Ryobi electric impact wrench and a 80ft.lb torque stick.

Observations:
Using the breaker bar (loosen) - No problems and no binding
Using the impact wrench (torqued to 80ft/lb)- a slight binding was detected trying to remove the socket after the torque stick reached 80ft/lb.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Try another 21mm socket or 13/16" socket.. I use either w/o issue. I believe the 13/16 is actually ever so slightly smaller however for some reason, it seems larger over my lugnuts. IDKY! Could be the age/usage of the socket set that I have?????????

Originally Posted by Chris142
Try a 13/16.

Yup! We're on the same page brother.

Originally Posted by Patrick0525
Try it without the impact driver. Same results?

I wanted to check each wheel's torque settings since the Toyota dealership tech's just add the wheels off.
So this past weekend, I used the 21mm socket and a breaker bar to re-loosen the lugs (slightly) before re-torquing with the Ryobi electric impact wrench and a 80ft.lb torque stick.

Observations:
Using the breaker bar (loosen) - No problems and no binding
Using the impact wrench (torqued to 80ft/lb)- a slight binding was detected trying to remove the socket after the torque stick reached 80ft/lb.

I asked because I had that problem problem whenever I used my new 1/2" Milwaukee impact on the truck. The lugs were stainless capped. If I wasn't completely snug to the bottom of the lug nut with the socket, the socket would get stuck. Then i cracked one of the lug nut caps. I was getting them started ok, but during removal I was not maintaining pressure on the driver, so the socket was moving part way up the lug nut face. Oops. Thats real bad with an impact that has 1400lb removal torque. I replaced all my lugs to solid, but decided not to use the driver for lugs anymore. Back to the ratchet. The stainless capped lug nuts were original. 12 years old. they were fine till I started using that Milwaukee

I asked because I had that problem problem whenever I used my new 1/2" Milwaukee impact on the truck. The lugs were stainless capped. If I wasn't completely snug to the bottom of the lug nut with the socket, the socket would get stuck. Then i cracked one of the lug nut caps. I was getting them started ok, but during removal I was not maintaining pressure on the driver, so the socket was moving part way up the lug nut face. Oops. Thats real bad with an impact that has 1400lb removal torque. I replaced all my lugs to solid, but decided not to use the driver for lugs anymore. Back to the ratchet. The stainless capped lug nuts were original. 12 years old. they were fine till I started using that Milwaukee

That is close to operator error. using full power with that massive an impact.. there should be a setting to turn that down.. all of mine have 3 strength levels... but from experience those tinfoil capped lugnuts can be trash.

many cheaply made OE lugs use cheap stainless steel caps over the nut itself! aunts jeep cherokee lugs are so + they get worse over time, either remove the cap or buy better lugs like McGard

Lugs are capped with chrome as noted and this is the source of your issue.

Best work around for me is to give one blat to bust the lugs free, then pause and pull the wrench back. Tilt and wiggle as necessary while the nut is still straight on the stud. Reseat the wrench and zip them the rest of the way off.

Re-examined the capped OEM lug nut and the 21 mm socket, which has wear marks on the inner landings. When compared to another newer 21mm, my 21 mm wiggles more when attached to a capped lug nut.

Probably need to retire the socket to a breaker bar and to shop for both lug nuts and a impact 21mm socket.

How long does a impact socket usually last? Any tire technicians out there?

If they are of somewhat decent quality the will last forever for personal use, unless you lose them. The only time they got replaced at Walmart was when they where lost or a Ford lugnut welded themselves in em.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
If they are of somewhat decent quality the will last forever for personal use, unless you lose them. The only time they got replaced at Walmart was when they where lost or a Ford lugnut welded themselves in em.

Any recommendations for a thin wall? Hazel?

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta

Any recommendations for a thin wall? Hazel?

Walmart is supplied tools from the cheapest bidder. I have no doubt that a set from Harbor Freight would be just as good if not better than what we have.
These will work more than fine. Walmart uses this type for 99% for all vehicles.

Or these if you have some rims that you dont want to risk scratching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back