Generator Idle Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replaced the carb on my Powermate 5000 generator and it still won't idle properlt . It has a 10 hp Subaru engine.
I don't see any idle adjustments on it. Any suggestions?

Chinese quality is all over the map.
I'm not trashing everything they make....I put a new dirt cheap carb on a gen set myself and it ran fine....but I've also had some real crap stuff.
I'm not sure they have any good way to test these carbs as a production quality check.

Obviously your options are to take it apart and look for problems (they're pretty simple) or send it back to try again.

The teensiest bit of crud can plug the pilot jet on small engines. The jet is very tiny. Blast it out with compressed air or even a blast from a WD-40 can. Put a fuel filter on there if you can fit one. Helps a lot with keeping the crud out of the carb. Are you sure the fuel tank and fuel line are clean?

Last edited:
I too have had issues with Chinese carbs for my big Briggs single cyl. They often get banged up with shipping. They're so cheap, it's not worth doing much fiddling with them. Just order another.

How was your carb trashed by E? How did you determine this?

How is it idling? Please describe the ACTUAL problem...in detail

Did you replace gaskets or re-use?

I had to replace the carb, and I installed a fuel filter. Powermate 5250 with 10 hp Tecumseh engine. I also found the "low oil level" switch was faulty, so I disconnected it pending replacement. Somebody here on this forum advised that I check the oil level switch since it was so darn hard to start. In the end I doubt there was anything wrong with my carb and it was the switch all along.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
I had to replace the carb, and I installed a fuel filter. Powermate 5250 with 10 hp Tecumseh engine. I also found the "low oil level" switch was faulty, so I disconnected it pending replacement. Somebody here on this forum advised that I check the oil level switch since it was so darn hard to start. In the end I doubt there was anything wrong with my carb and it was the switch all along.

So , put the old carb back on .

Originally Posted by doolah02
Carb bowl hand rust. One gasket was in pretty good shape, the other
I replaced.

How much rust was in there? Would an empty bowl rust a little, if left sitting for a while?

How bad of shape was the gasket you replaced?

Carbs can usually be fixed with some cleaning and adjusting, but it is tempting to replace when they are cheap. Unfortunately, if there is crud in your fuel system you are right back to square one when the new carb gets gunked up.

Doesn't idle smoothly usually means lean, which in this case with a new carb and all....most likely a vacuum leak.

Get a can of carb cleaner and spray it around the intake gaskets, engine breather etc to track down the leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back