Whole home generator, what to look for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at getting a whole home generator. Seeing we are close to the coast and the hurricanes are getting more frequent. Figure the cost of one would be worth it, especially since I use a CPAP to sleep. No natural gas in the area but would hook it up to propane.

Any good sites to visit on this subject? House is 2,100 sqft single story.

I'm considering one myself. Kohler does a much better job watt for watt than Generac if you try running central AC. I spoke with a company that sells both and Kohler puts a much larger engine on many models than Generac.
Like a 597 CC engine on the 8K watt Kohler vs a 426 CC engine on the 9K watt Generac. The positive about Generac is that they sell the most. That might make obtaining parts long down the road easier. But being realistic, it'd suck if you had to obtain parts if it doesn't supply you power when you need it.

I would look into Diesel as an option as well, fuel cost and fuel consumption on a Generac 22kw is staggering. If you had natural gas it's a great option but you need a fair bit of propane capacity to run the Generac, if you already have propane on property this is less of an issue.

Former rail generators powered by a 1200 RPM 2-71 Detroit Diesel engines are available all over and are relatively inexpensive and easy on fuel.

Last month I replaced my 13 year old 16kw Generac propane generator with another 16kw Generac. Mechanically the old unit was still sound, but the steel base (lousy Chinese steel) had rusted so badly over the years that a replacement was needed. In a coastal location, the 2006 unit never needed a repair, but the salt air took its toll.

I compared Kohler and even Onan. Not only were both quite a bit more expensive, I've read horror stories about Kohler's supply chain, especially the poor availability of replacement parts with so much now being sourced from overseas. The technology of the new Generac is leaps above the old one. I never considered diesel, but I am aware of the propane consumption rates under full load. That's why I didn't size up to the 22kw. The new 16kw can run two smaller heat pumps and the whole house, excluding dryer, double wall ovens and the main 4 ton heat pump.

Under full load, my 120 gallon in ground tank will only run the 16kw for just under two full days. So either I have to be selective with its use in an extended outage, or I have to have another tank or two installed above ground. I'm still undecided on that. Another plus with my deal is that it was done by an authorized Generac installer and it came with a five year warranty that covers parts, labor and travel.

Units with two cylinder engines tend to produce cleaner power with a lot less flicker than a single cylinder engine.

You need to size-up how much power you want to supply. Do you currently have electric heat or propane furnace? If it's a propane furnace and if you want to run the generator off propane, you might need to change your regulators and the diameter of your feed lines. A 1/2" line running a 60kBTU furnace and 20 HP motor is not going to cut it. What kind of AC do you have; window units or central?

Emergency power for a 2100 sqft home could be anywhere from 5kW to 25kW depending on your requirements. A 5kW generator running at 50% load will burn about 5 gallons of gasoline or 60lbs of propane in about 10 hours.

Lots to consider -including budget issues.

Originally Posted by RayCJ
A 5kW generator running at 50% load will burn about 5 gallons of gasoline or 60lbs of propane in about 10 hours.

That's like $30 a day. Ten times as much as from the power company. So much for disconnecting from the grid.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
These are considered by many to be one of the best. Generac Power Systems

No there the bottom of the barrel, but for most people they work since they never use them much.

Originally Posted by Rat407
Looking at getting a whole home generator. Seeing we are close to the coast and the hurricanes are getting more frequent. Figure the cost of one would be worth it, especially since I use a CPAP to sleep. No natural gas in the area but would hook it up to propane.

Let me give you sound advice, get a 1800 RPM diesel, you will never buy another, ever..

If 10K will do I would get this..

http://www.centralmainediesel.com/order/KB900.asp?page=KB900

Originally Posted by hunter29
Originally Posted by Rat407

Let me give you sound advice, get a 1800 RPM diesel, you will never buy another, ever..

If 10K will do I would get this..

http://www.centralmainediesel.com/order/KB900.asp?page=KB900

Yep, this is a good generator. I have one basically just like it but, a little older model and the 4cyl, 15kw version. These produce clean, flawless power and have a 1.0 duty rating. If you get something like this, don't mount it directly to a block of concrete; put a couple inches of rubber shock feet under it or mount it on 4 pneumatic wheels. It will run much quieter and will spare it from it's own vibration.

Ray

No there the bottom of the barrel, but for most people they work since they never use them much.

Make sure you tell the OP all of the benefits to a homeowner in supplying fuel to the diesel unit, what to do when the fuel gets old, stale or gelled and all of the other costs involved. Extremely unlikely that he can have a 16-20kw diesel unit and fuel tank to serve a 2,100 square foot home installed for $10,000.

The 10kw Kubota is a really nice unit for its size. But it handles only a 100 amp transfer switch, okay for a double wide but not for a 2,100 square foot home.

Considered by 'many,' 'many' being the operative word. As with everything made by man opinions about what is best, worst, etc. will vary. Now the OP has a lot of generators and information to choose from in order to make an informed decision.

First you need to size the load. You can look at name plates or get a peak hold clamp on AC ammeter. Are your looking to power only critical loads or everything? Well pump? If so 2 or 3 wire? They sell load shedding transfer switches.

A serious generator will be 1800 RPM.

Large generators that run everything during a power outage will be thirsty for fuel.

In the area of my retirement home in DE the power outages are few and far between and they are spending money to build in more reliability. The case for a generator is getting more difficult. It's an electrical CO-OP, maybe that's why.

Last edited:
I cant get the awful 2004 hurricane season out of my head. Back to back to back storms, left us without power for about the entire summer, in Florida. Like 2 or 3 months without power. It sure cost a fortune to keep a generator going...

I always factor in the cost of fuel, and the ease of keeping it fueled, into these decisions. The bigger units are gas hogs. That's a LOT of expensive propane! You going to bury a 300 gallon tank? You going to use 20lb BBQ tanks? Roll around 100 gallon tanks? How are you going to fuel the thing? Dual fuel option? Run cheaper gasoline during the long stints, or if your propane tank goes empty?

I have a 4000 watt unit to keep the fridge and some things powered. I also have a 2000 watt inverter generator that sips gas. It will run a window AC unit (which I have) all day/night long for pennies. I cant/wont live without AC again, in the summer, in Florida, for months at a time. For cooking I have a Weber gas grill and 6 propane tanks. The stove is also propane, with a buried propane tank.

We have a Cummins RS40, which has done a nice job. Also have a 10kw Cummins/Onan Diesel gen in the toy hauler, should the NG supply be lost.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
I cant get the awful 2004 hurricane season out of my head. Back to back to back storms, left us without power for about the entire summer, in Florida. Like 2 or 3 months without power. It sure cost a fortune to keep a generator going...

I always factor in the cost of fuel, and the ease of keeping it fueled, into these decisions. The bigger units are gas hogs. That's a LOT of expensive propane! You going to bury a 300 gallon tank? You going to use 20lb BBQ tanks? Roll around 100 gallon tanks? How are you going to fuel the thing? Dual fuel option? Run cheaper gasoline during the long stints, or if your propane tank goes empty?

I have a 4000 watt unit to keep the fridge and some things powered. I also have a 2000 watt inverter generator that sips gas. It will run a window AC unit (which I have) all day/night long for pennies. I cant/wont live without AC again, in the summer, in Florida, for months at a time. For cooking I have a Weber gas grill and 6 propane tanks. The stove is also propane, with a buried propane tank.

That's a good point. The site I linked to gave the OP a lot of options. Where I live Sandy took the power out for a while, people with gas powered generators quickly learned they weren't so good. We couldn't get gas. I was recently "given" a portable gas powered generator. If we planned on staying here I would make the changes to convert it to natural gas. We have natural gas for the stove and heat. In close to 40 years of gas heated home-ownership, the gas supply was never interrupted. I would use that for fuel for a generator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back