0w8?

I expect it to work about as well as that YouTube video where they ran a car with WD-40 in the crankcase. Worked fine for regular driving, though I'm not sure how long it would have held up, but the engine blew up when they started redlining it, doing burnouts, etc. This stuff should come with a warning on the bottle, for ages 65 and up only, do not exceed 3,000 rpms!

In 2017 from: https://noln.net/2017/06/30/skinny-ow-16-oil/

"0W-16 oil was introduced in Japan before 2000. 0W-16 showed higher fuel economy than 0W-20 engine oil. It will also give you remarkable quick engine starts at cold temperatures. There are several concerns [about 0W-16 oils] due to their lower viscosity, like increased wear, increased oil consumption and lower oil pressure. But our long history [with 0W-16] has addressed these concerns. The 0W- 16 project is just the beginning of what JXTG Nippon Oil is striving to do to offset carbon footprints. Actually, we are currently working on an 0W-8 oil."

This has been brought up multiple times, but a thousandth of a percentage on 78 million auto's in Japan is measurable. Its all about carbon footprint. Therefore Govt's are going to push OEM's to harvest those efficiencies in their engineering. They don't care if an engine lasts 100k miles or 300k miles.

I seriously doubt we are going to see any 300k engines on 0w8 oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DoubleNickels
In Japan, people do not own cars for decades like Americans.

There's a reason for that, do you know what it is?

Originally Posted by kschachn

Its because they have been using 0w8 since the 2000's probably.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino

Its because they have been using 0w8 since the 2000's probably.

Guessing is not an option.

Yes I lived in Japan for three years the truth is over 60% of them don't own a car they use public transportation or own a motorcycle.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

Yes I lived in Japan for three years the truth is over 60% of them don't own a car they use public transportation or own a motorcycle.

It might even be more than that. Public transportation is everywhere. There are many stations that average in the millions of passengers per day.

Regulations and taxes make car ownership expensive.

Japan, just like Manhattan & Hong Kong, has no parking. Whatever the taxes and inspection fees are, there are a lot of people who can afford to pay. The most difficult part is having a place to park your car. Get you name on the waiting list, and it could take years before it's your turn to rent a parking space. You have to wait for people to decide that they no long want the privilege of the parking space to vacate it. Next problem is that when you get to where you are going, will there be a parking space there? Easy to drive a few miles to go somewhere. Impossible to find parking when you get there. With vehicles depreciating, you find yourself paying more rent to park the car, than the car is worth.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
0W8 is way too thick,it will cause rampant startup wear. This is what we need:

https://www.pacificcustoms.com/lat20478-1G.html

When are we going in the negatives?
lol.gif

Originally Posted by StevieC
Cruising youtube and came across some videos with discussion of oil companies developing 0w8 oil. Any truth to this?

Yes and it will cause widespread engine destruction unless a 0w40 is used. It's meant to implode engines right after the warranty to encourage built in obsolescence.
lol.gif

All the cool kids will mix it 50/50 with 15W50 !!

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
LOL I'm waiting for the new Ow-0 environmental oil that is water soluble.

There is an ancient Assyrian prophecy that states the world will end when 0W0 comes.
Nobody knew what it meant until recently, the old theory was there would be a monster named Owo who would go all Godzilla on the planet.

Originally Posted by billt460
Cruising youtube and came across some videos with discussion of oil companies developing 0w8 oil. Any truth to this?

Great for "racing"! Just read the bottle.
[Linked Image]

Guess there are applications where they are willing to risk engine failure on a short run for that tiny bit of extra power...think of the dragsters that can't quite hold it together for the entire 1000 feet or whatever they run now and give the crowd a big explosion for their viewing pleasure.
Maybe I shouldn't joke because my dad stopped taking me to Union Grove, WI on weekends because an engine exploded and killed some patrons.

It was actually a clutch that exploded

HPL posted up some coated bearings than had been run on 0W3 - 0W8 in a Pro Stock Car somewhere on the sight (racing?) and they looked really good. The thing is most people want to look at things like oil grade in a vacuum and that's not really how things work. A 0W-3 at 160F might be higher viscosity than a 30 grade at 220F.

I've said before if they use effective oil cooling in a 0W-16 engine it's possible it may have a higher minimum operational viscosity than a 0W-20 but a lower average viscosity so they get both better mpg and lower wear. Extend that to a 0W-8 and they might be able to match the wear of a 0W-20 without a cooler and still increase mpg slightly more.

HPL posted up some coated bearings than had been run on 0W3 - 0W8 in a Pro Stock Car somewhere on the sight (racing?) and they looked really good. The thing is most people want to look at things like oil grade in a vacuum and that's not really how things work. A 0W-3 at 160F might be higher viscosity than a 30 grade at 220F.

I've said before if they use effective oil cooling in a 0W-16 engine it's possible it may have a higher minimum operational viscosity than a 0W-20 but a lower average viscosity so they get both better mpg and lower wear. Extend that to a 0W-8 and they might be able to match the wear of a 0W-20 without a cooler and still increase mpg slightly more.

Here is my particular situation:
  • The 5.7 HEMI in the RAM 1500 came without an oil cooler from the factory, so the oil temperature is around 222F~224F when cruising and ~245F when towing a moderate load, it goes even higher when driving uphill. It's not ideal to play cSt roulette with 5W-20 ILSAC oil in this configuration if you want any kind of longevity out of it
  • The 2017 Hyundai Santa FE - the 3.3L Lambda II engine doesn't really like thin oils, as it will rattle at startup if it was off for more than 10 hours. Since switching to 0W-40 the rattling went away. I guess when it was engineered they tested it with different motor oils, over 10 years ago. Plenty of people live with the startup rattle and they don't even know what it is. Fuel economy is just as abysmal no matter what oil I run in that motor or how careful I drive.
  • The 2.4L GDI motor ironically is the only one that has an oil cooler, so it would be ideal to run 0W-20 or 5W-20. Unfortunately, it has fuel dilution issues and I'm too poor to fill her up with premium. Yes, the ECU can learn do adjust based on fuel, but it's not worth the cost. The middle ground I found is to go to a 0W-40 oil so I can sleep better at night.
I agree with everything you said here. If all cars had oil coolers it would be awesome. It's actually something that most people don't really think about, and you're right, they look at motor oil in a vacuum.

Back