Plug wires replacement interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 1996 Acura Integra with the B18 non-vtec engine. 130K miles runs perfect. Original plug wires. I was thinking about changing the wires but don't want to waste money. On the other hand, I like to replace things before they fail. Any thoughts on this?

They use to be done every 100k. But the last several generations I have seen then go 150-200k without major issue.

I would change them the next time you do the timing belt/spark plugs unless its running poorly.

You might as well replace them. Usually you replace the plugs and wires at the same time
smile.gif

NGK makes a good set of wires. They are numbered and come in a nice blue color
smile.gif

Just be glad you have the 96+ non-VTEC with the PCV valve on the valve cover. The pre-96, and all years for the VTEC, have the PCV valve behind the engine and it's hard to get to
mad.gif

Caveat: Just because a set of wires is clad in nice, new silicone compound rubber doesn't mean the inwards are quality.
Buy quality (you know that, just sayin')

Have you done the "Open the hood on a moist night with the engine running" test to check for dancing sparks?

Does it make sense to measure the resistance?

Can "wire wires" be used or are they all carbon impregnated rope for RF suppression? The old aircraft mechanic next door would only use wire wires.

A friend has 369k miles one the original plug wires on his 2004 suburban. Still runs great.

To me no need to change them unless you need to. Not like they will all go bad at once. Mainly you will have an issue with one cylinder and so when that occurs you can then just do the entire set.

Otherwise if you have the cash and can do it yourself and it makes you fee.l better then change them out now.

I haven't changed plug wires in 20- 30 years. They seem to last forever. I carry a roll of electrical tape so I can repair a wire if I see a spark jumping to ground. If you have a cap and rotor they are more likely to cause problems. IMO.

Originally Posted by Rat407
A friend has 369k miles one the original plug wires on his 2004 suburban. Still runs great.

That was my dilemma recently. I had 150k on the original CoP's, no ignition problems whatsoever. The OE's are Denso. I had to pull the plenum off to do the plugs (a 2hr job), so I decided to just put new CoP's on since I was already there. I checked around in a users group and called the dealership to see if I could get some consensus on longevity - none. They could easily go another 150k or they could go tomorrow.

Even with s/h charges RA had the best prices on the OE's..

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kira
Caveat: Just because a set of wires is clad in nice, new silicone compound rubber doesn't mean the inwards are quality.

Have you done the "Open the hood on a moist night with the engine running" test to check for dancing sparks?

++

I've been disappointed in Denso wires, they are not made by Denso themselves - they aren't getting them from Seiwa or one of the Japanese plug wire suppliers(or even Prestolite). Bosch disappoints me as well, even where they are OEM. It seems like getting wires at the dealer or using NGK/Motorcraft/Delco(if your car has them available) is the only way to get good wires.

The open hood on a dark night/garage test seems to work pretty well to diagnose wires besides feel and looks. You will need a megger to test the insulation otherwise.

Originally Posted by Kira

Does it make sense to measure the resistance?

Can "wire wires" be used or are they all carbon impregnated rope for RF suppression? The old aircraft mechanic next door would only use wire wires.

When McDonalds first opened their drive up windows I was driving a big block Chevelle SS with metallic core wires, it drove their equipment crazy.
lol.gif

If you did experience misfiring, those 20 year old wires would be the first thing to suspect. But if running OK you could see how much longer they'll go(*). Visual inspection of wires or ohm tests won't always show when they are bad.

(*) Though you don't want to get in a situation where you end up in a time crunch buying a set of lousy wires from a chain parts store and having them fail in a year or less.

Acura wires would be best, but are pricey.
I have used NGK on Honda engines with great results.
Don't forget a little dielectric grease....
Amazon is your friend.

Last edited:
I went ahead and ordered NGK RC-HE82 from AMAZON Warehouse deals for $23! I think the RC P/N made be the Made in Japan wires. There are two P/Ns for these HE82 and the RC-HE82 not sure of the difference. Maybe where they are made? Got to love Warehouse deals for deep discounts on parts for older Cars.

Leave the new leads in the trunk until it need them.

Rule #1

Don't mess with hi tension ignition if it is working well.

You see, It wants to do anything but work well.

Packard used to make good hi-tension leads - even the Japanese sourced Packard

Never had much luck professionally with anything else.

You don't want metal core wire. Incorrect impedance for the ignition circuit. HUGE and dangerous RFI.

Likely violates FCC law. Also never found magwire helpful, but I never ran alky with a magneto.

Last edited:
Some cars, more so German cars do call for metal-core wire with the appropriate resistive plug boots/covers.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

I have cut NGK/NTK silicone spark plug wires. The jacket consists of an outer blue layer of silicone and the inner jacket out of white silicone. The core is a multistrand silver-colored wire, although it says on the wire jacket "copper." By the way, why do we call them spark plug cables? They are wires.

"When McDonalds first opened their drive up windows I was driving a big block Chevelle SS with metallic core wires, it drove their equipment crazy.
lol.gif
"

When I would be driving one of my "toys" always with a MSD 6 box............I never bothered to stop at the speaker......I just drove up to the window.
grin.gif

Originally Posted by vavavroom
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

I have cut NGK/NTK silicone spark plug wires. The jacket consists of an outer blue layer of silicone and the inner jacket out of white silicone. The core is a multistrand silver-colored wire, although it says on the wire jacket "copper." By the way, why do we call them spark plug cables? They are wires.

BC there is NO wire in high tension ignition cables - unless its aftermarket "MAG Wire"

The Copper notation was for the terminals ONLY - not the wire. '

The center insulator is typically EPDM rubber.

You don't want or \need low impedance "wire" for super high voltage pulse ignition. It doesn't help. And the FFC will chase you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back