Why do parts stores deliver for free to shops?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The few times I buy parts local I usually go pick up the part myself just to compare the old part before buying or to exchange the core on the spot. When they do deliver I'm surprised the industry does this for free, especially for a $5 or $10 part. The drivers alone must cost the shop over $15 a hour and if they make say 4 stops an hour, that's about $4 a delivery. Are there any places that give a discount if you pick up?

The food service industry also delivers 'free' to restaurants, while I have to go to the store. Free as in no extra cost; it's bundled into the price.

the parts delivered to shops are more valuable, due to shops not paying sales tax & marking up upon install.
But shops DO pay B&O taxes.

Originally Posted by atikovi
The few times I buy parts local I usually go pick up the part myself just to compare the old part before buying or to exchange the core on the spot. When they do deliver I'm surprised the industry does this for free, especially for a $5 or $10 part. The drivers alone must cost the shop over $15 a hour and if they make say 4 stops an hour, that's about $4 a delivery. Are there any places that give a discount if you pick up?

If you spent enough money you will get free delivery also.

Well duh, I do get free delivery for a $5 or $10 part like I mentioned.

Well if you know this why did you ask the question? There are no dumb questions unless you already know the answer.

I feel the FIRST chain to do this, will dominate the market! Like ordering pizza to your house. Pay over the phone and if the part is in stock, it will show up in less than 30 minutes. Heck they might show up and read codes and change your wiper blades!.... an ASE certified associate.

That is a huge time saver for the shade tree mechanic. Treat auto parts like Pizza.. having parts show up at 8pm on Saturday night really sounds neat to me.
I'm sure you will have to give a tip, and a minimum order, it surely can be done in towns greater than 25k population.
Saves a drive across town, and you know Wal-Mart puts the auto parts section in the back of the store for a reason.

Last edited:
I can tell you why in one word: Competition. What would happen to the parts store that didn't deliver or charged extra for it?

I drove for NAPA and was paid ~ $ 10 an hour. Also got a nice discount on parts, stock option/401k too.

A lot of places I delivered to were NAPA auto care centers. We also had a lot of repeat customers.

I was constantly in and out delivering parts in the area. It was always busy.

They do a "run". they hit several shops in a row. They don't normally send a guy or girl out with only a $3 part unless business is super slow.

Most are on a schedule with a 9a leaving time,then 11,1etc.

Every business segment has distributors Building trades, food service, office supply, auto repair............ A carpenter can call his supplier, and ask for penny nails to be delivered to a jobsite. A plumber can call for a rubber washer, or a couple of couplings. Pricing is also at a different tier. That shop gets free delivery, and pays less than the full retail. In some cases, they even get pre-negotiated discounts and rebates based on volume. The shop could get a $0.25 oil drain plug gasket delivered for free, and pay less than $0.25. But at the end of the day, how much do you think that shop is ordering in 1 month? How about in a year? Once you figure out that a distributor is supplying XXX number of shops, and the revenue it generates annually, then you'll understand.

Distributors delivering free is common, customary, and ordinary. If they lost money doing it, then they would all stop delivering for free. Look around you. Amazon delivers for free. Even Costco delivers for free. Free delivery is the reason why pizza and Chinese food restaurants do so well. If you sell pizza, and you don't deliver free, you would go out of business.

Definitely not getting paid $15 USD per hour. They don't even pay $15 CDN per hour here for drivers. Also minimum wage is $13 and will soon be $15 in a couple years.

You don't need an account, I've called the auto parts store if I'm broken down in driveway, and had things delivered to me for free, they have a wireless credit card machine and see me on their next run.

In our area the drivers also pick up parts from warehouses and transfer parts between stores, so they're out and about anyway and do deliveries too.

Last edited:

Commercial customers usually spend thousands a month. So when they need a $5 part, they better get it fast or there is lots of competition.
Advance auto actually had this service a few years ago, it was on the door. They delivered to your home for a small fee. Not sure if they still do.

I had a shop about 10 years ago.. I had NAPA, Autozone, and Advance Auto stop by and ask me to be their preferred parts. I chose Advance Auto because they put me on the best 'tier' which was at least 30 percent cheaper than walk in price.

I paid the 30 percent cheaper price and charged the customer walk in price on parts.

It would probably be scary how much $ they actually have in those parts.. they were happy delivering whatever i asked and giving me a deep discount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back