Removing Dealer Sticker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would like to remove dealer sticker that is put on the trunk of newer used vehicle I bought my thoughts are to use steam. I have had success removing one once before using steam but it was on much older vehicle. In other words the sticker had been on for a long time and perhaps the glue was much softer.

Warm it up with a hair dryer, and use a fingernail or a credit card.

Remove the remaining adhesive with something mild such as WD-40 on a soft rag, or even peanut butter.

Eraser wheel.

[Linked Image]

I let it bask in the sun for a while and then just peel it off. Then use Goo Gone. Done.

I think it should be against the law for dealers to add those stickers without permission. I bought the thing, not you. Now get your name off of it. You want it on there, I expect compensated for the advertising. I always give the sales guy an ear full about it when I get a new car. Doesn't do any good but it makes me feel better
smile.gif

Last edited:
I've always told the salesman at the end before we shake the only way I'm taking that car home is if the sticker is off it. The car has always been presented to me for final inspection without a sticker.

Hate stickers for the dealers. My "fee" to buy a sticker per vehicle is exactly the same as the price of the car. Always get a strange look when I tell them that.
A local dealer has a huge VIP sticker that looks like a police badge. I purposely won't buy a car from that dealer and will travel further to avoid this DB.
Fishing line works on the heavy 3D badges.

Sis and BIL just gave me their old car...a 20 year old Acura.

The "sticker" is a dimensional plastic one held on with God only knows what.

At 20 years of age I think I'm going to leave it alone.

Think how good the paint looks beneath it.

Both Goof Off and Goo Gone have been mentioned as products that will remove the adhesive left behind by the dealer sticker. In the interest of allowing others to learn from my mistakes, let me go on record as saying NEVER use Goof Off on your car's paint!!!

Goo Gone is the safer option for automotive paint and clear coats.

I used Goof Off to remove the stubborn glue remnants of the PD stickers on my car, and I ended up removing some of the clear coat along with it.

Goo Gone won't do that. It isn't as fast-acting as the Goof Off, but it won't remove the paint either, so it's the go-to for me!

When I picked up my new truck, first new vehicle I had bought in decades, I saw the dealership sticker on it during the purchase inspection.

I asked right then and there that they take it off.

Don't know what they used, but it was off in minutes and the paint is fine.

Perhaps the dealer from whom the first owner bought it knows best what to use?

Last edited:
Soften it with a hair dryer to peel it off. Zippo lighter fluid or even barbecue starter fluid on a soft rag for the adhesive.

I just have it written on the invoice if I don't want the dealer logo that customer will not take delivery and contract is void if it is left on there. Never had a dealer balk at it.

We have a dealer here that puts its logos on the tailgate and on the front quarter panels below the mirrors. Tacky, tacky, tacky. I did buy a truck from them, and they took the dealer stuff off with zero hassles.

Heat gun at Harbor Freight is 8 bucks, fishing line if needed is in the tackle box, I use a plastic putty knife for a lot of cleaning chores and it works well for the stickers also. Use the mildest glue remover first, and elbow grease. Once clean you need a little 3M polishing compound and a dry rag, a few minutes rubbing and you won't even know the sticker was there. The older the car the more fading, but 5 years old or newer and you can't see any ghosting of the image.

Very few dealerships put any type of stickers, badges or emblems on vehicles in my area anymore. A license plate frame with the dealer's name on it is about it. I am old enough to remember dealer emblems being riveted on! Regardless, I've debadged quite a few of my vehicles. Like said, warmth, some careful prying and some adhesive remover like mineral spirits or WD40 is all you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back