Top Tier gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
I like using TT gas but the stations in my area with it are out of my way and a bit inconvenient to get to. I fill up the RAV4 once a week. Thoughts on how often I should get a tank of TT so the added detergents will keep things clean?

Is TT even needed in DI engines?

Toyota uses both DI and Port Injection. You can get by. If you want to shake things once in a while, you can always put a bit of Techron or any other cleaner in ther.e

You should do it all the time, so that you don't necessarily have to buy a bottle of Techron, Gumout Regane, etc every 3000 miles.

You can plan your gas stops around your schedule.

Originally Posted by PPWarrior
Toyota uses both DI and Port Injection. You can get by. If you want to shake things once in a while, you can always put a bit of Techron or any other cleaner in ther.e

2AR-FE is Port Injection only.

I haven't purchased non-TT gas in years. TT only in my cars. Though, in these DI days, not sure what good it's doing since it never hits the valves. The Honda in my sig is only DI, not a combo of DI and PI.

Originally Posted by DoubleNickels
Some people believe that "top tier" is just a marketing gimmick.

And some people think oil thickens as the temperature increases.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
You should do it all the time, so that you don't necessarily have to buy a bottle of Techron, Gumout Regane, etc every 3000 miles.

You can plan your gas stops around your schedule.

I've been running top tier Irving. Seems more consistent than most around here.

Get Swamp water Here and there with the E10.

Top Tier doesn't preclude garbage gasoline

Still have to run a 1/2 bottle of Gumout Regane every 1500 in the VW.

In my Geo area Shell has been abysmal for decades. Top tier or no.

When nearly all retailers here offer Top Tier Gas at the same price as non-top tier, which one do you think I choose?

Its too bad that with the sale of Superamerica and the rebranding to Speedway here, they removed their top-tier gasoline. Used to be some of the best bang for the $ gasoline here (in terms of observed Octane Adjustment Ratio in my Ecoboost F150) (And yes, since they owned their own refinery at the time, and had their own distribution, it was different gasoline (and still is) Other markets are different.)

The other big players here (Kwik Trip, Holiday, Shell, BP, and in outstate Cenex) are all Top Tier rated...

Where I'm at, the biggest and most highly trafficked gas station is RaceTrac, which frustratingly isn't TT. The stations that are TT and near me, are all old, run down, and don't get a lot of traffic which to me (and maybe this is wrong) means that the gasoline is probably older. So, I frequent RaceTrac and just run a fuel system cleaner every 3k miles.

I vote to use top tier as often as possible. I spend quite a bit of time on the road and unless the difference is more than 10 percent in price, I use top tier pretty much every time. I aim to use mostly Shell or Philips 66 as my 2018 Mazda 3 seems to prefer those. I often end up using Murphy USA (AKA Walmart gas) if I can't find a Shell or philips as they have a premium non ethanol for about 50 cents more than regular e10 and i tend to see about a 3-4 mpg increase when using this gas.

Originally Posted by MNgopher
When nearly all retailers here offer Top Tier Gas at the same price as non-top tier, which one do you think I choose?

My personal preference is 76 and Chevron. But if I'm in urgent need of filling up (which is rare) then any TT will do. And yes, I try to avoid desolate service stations.

Last edited:
I've been pretty pleased with the TT gas at Costco. I run 93 octane (E10 only there) consistently and they also seem to be the lowest price in my area. So that's a win!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back