Post your favorite/weirdest ATF and application

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everybody has their preferred atf for their application, post your favorite ATF for your application or weirdest application for your ATF.

Idemitsu for Hondas and Toyotas. AKA Acuras and Luxuses.
Maxlife for my old Tundra. Good stuff. It just works.

Last edited:
Suggested by another member on here, Dodge/Chrysler ATF+4 in the transmission/gearbox of my 95 Polaris Magnum ATV.

When in Canada; Canadian Tire Motomaster Full Synthetic Dexron VI.
6L90 behind 2008 6.0 liter LS in 3/4 ton Chev Suburban.
smile.gif

F9574886-D239-4DBE-8E55-E9A56BB38A7E.jpeg

Last edited:
My wife drove home one day and her garage queen'88 528e wasn't driving right. I checked the dip stick,remember those? MT. Added Dex 3and watched it leak right out. A torn lip seal.on torque converter. The recommended shop was 20 miles of stop and go state 2 lane. I had a gallon jug of SuperTech Dexmerc. and a funnel. Every time the trans blew a 3-D shift, I'd pull over and pour in a qt. The transmission, a ZF 4 HP 22 soldiered on into oblivion when the body rusted out.

Originally Posted by csandste
MaxLife til they take the keys from my gnarled hands.

For my current needs (SP-III, SP-IV, Merc V, Dex VI, WS), Maxlife ATF is all I need.

I currently have 10 qts of Maxlife ATF and 2 qts of Havoline Dex VI. That is a change on the truck and Scion. Will need more for the Hyundai's and Saturn was just done.
If I ever do the service on my mother in laws Chevy Tracker, she also will get MaxLife ATF.

Federated Co-op ATF SL. made in regina at the co-op refinery. Group 4 base oil, 7.7cst and suitable for use in a pile of vehicles.

Have it in my trailblazers auto trak transfer case, which works like a charm. Ran it for 20 or 30,000km if I recall, in my 2011 Ram 1500's 545rfe. Ran like a top when we traded it in. It's been in a few power steering systems as well, notably the hydraboost in my 3500.

It's on the expensive end compared to say max life or petrocan duradrive as it runs just over 9$ a liter all in. Duradrive is a hair over 7 and maxlife just under 7 a liter all in. But that sh# t has like a -60 something pour point.

Originally Posted by redhat
Suggested by another member on here, Dodge/Chrysler ATF+4 in the transmission/gearbox of my 95 Polaris Magnum ATV.

I have been reading that ATF+4 is the "bee knees" for pretty much any SP3 (SP-III) application as well.

Originally Posted by BrianF
Federated Co-op ATF SL.
Made in regina at the co-op refinery. Group 4 base oil, 7.7cst and suitable for use in a pile of vehicles.

I think that's the thickest ATF I have ever heard of.

Aren't all the "new" LV - type ATF fluids down around 4.5 - 5.5 cSt??

Can't really say I've ever particularly cared about trans fluid, as long as it was full and moderately clean. I've had mostly older GM's so any added fluid was Dex/Merc. Kept a qt of transmax +4 in my Dakota, which it never needed. I suppose my contribution here is hearing about/seeing people run 303 in gm th350s, 400s, 700r4s, and powerglides. Heard the drag racers use it.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by redhat

I have been reading that ATF+4 is the "bee knees" for pretty much any SP3 (SP-III) application as well.

That's interesting as I still have 4 quarts of ATF+4 from my B-I-Ls old Neon...maybe I'll run it in my daughters Elantra which has had VML or Valvoline Import since I bought it.

I'm not questioning you Linctex but if you can remember where you read that (a link) I'd like to read it....thanks..

PS: Castrol High Mileage ATF was 8 cSt….and their IMV was approx. 7.5 IIRC.....the newer ones are closer to 6....4.5 would scare me....

15w40 in the Allison. Th400 filter and an inline spin on.
15w40 powers the 15k winch, too.
Of course 15w40 in the Cat 3116.

IMG_20180511_185321289[7311].jpg

When I was in elementary school about grade seven, my dad had a used car lot and I used to experiment with cars to some degree. He had a great looking 58 Chevy Impala there, The oil seemed gunky so I drained it out and refilled it with transmission fluid to clean out the engine. I started it up, went away and forgot about it. About six hours later It struck me that the thing was still running. I went over to it stepped on the gas and that thing smoked like a freight train. I panicked, dropped the tranny fluid out and refilled with oil. It smoked terrible and I just shut it off and walked away and didn't say a thing to anyone. He sold the thing as is during the week. I was in school so I didn't see it go down. Never did say anything about it to him. Thus my weird transmission fluid story. I will make farther confessions at a later date.

Originally Posted by pbm

I'm not questioning you Linctex but if you can remember where you read that (a link) I'd like to read it....thanks..

It was *here* , on BITOG... though back in 2012 or 2013 or so?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back