Generic red instead of orange coolant in a 1.5 liter ford powerstroke / duratorq

Status
Not open for further replies.
The orange is apparently compatible to Ford's WSS-M97B44-D2, as well as GM 6277M (dexcool) and ASTM D 3306.

A while back I couldn't find it so filled one of those generic red "use for any car" coolants, Purolator's Puroguard. While I couldn't find a spec for it online and was in too much of a hurry to note what specific spec, that time.

Should I drain and refill with orange, or leave it? I don't see my car (2014 Fiesta with a 1.5 duratorq aka powerstroke engine) overheating or such, so far in the past month or so I've used it.

My organic chemistry knowledge is hazy from two decades back, so I wonder whether fits all is fits all or OAT orange according to one ASTM standard can be reasonably substituted by a red HOAT with a different ASTM standard. If one coolant indeed does fit all that's fine by me.

I'd just use the Ford OEM coolant except that every single Ford dealer in my city is over an hour from where I am.

I've been using different variations of Prestone universal coolant in my Ford Taurus for 14 years, changing every 5 years. I'm about to do the 3rd change. No problems.
smile.gif
That's a pretty cool engine you have.

Last edited:
It is, it is. Remarkably fuel efficient and in a light little car like the fiesta, you just don't feel like you're doing 100 mph till you glance at the speedometer. And thanks!

Most All Makes All Models (AMAM) coolants are Dexclones (at least in the USA)….which means they use 2-EHA.....just like Ford Orange.
I would imagine your 'Generic Red' is one of these and as such you should be fine.

PS: I also agree on your Duratorq being cool....the torque should be great. I would like to see Ford bring the new 1.5T 3 cylinder Fiesta ST to America but (for now) they are concentrating on SUVs and trucks over here.

Originally Posted by pbm
Most All Makes All Models (AMAM) coolants are Dexclones (at least in the USA)….which means they use 2-EHA.....just like Ford Orange.
I would imagine your 'Generic Red' is one of these and as such you should be fine.

A spec I found elsewhere for the Purolator generic red -

IS: 5759, JIS-K-2234 & ASTM-1384

If that Puroguard lists 2-EHA and sodium neodeconate in its ingredients, I see why not. Otherwise, it might be a Toyota Red clone. Can you get a hold of the SDS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back