Only Synthetic in 5 years???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by rideahorse
There are places where dino is better than syn. Syn is not that much better than dino. Its just marketing and more profitable for the blender. They are good at pulling the wool over the consumers eyes.

Four of your suggestions are wrong.

Originally Posted by Pelican
In the late 70s I felt like I was on a deserted island, NO ONE was using synthetic except me. Oh my how times have changed!
thumbsup2.gif

I know what you mean. I have used M1 oils since 1978 at 10K OCIs.

Originally Posted by Smokescreen
I use only synthetic anyways.

Which oil and filter do you use in your Civic Si?

Originally Posted by BigJohn
I have a close friend that is in the oil blending industry. He tells me the industry as a whole is rapidly moving in the direction of synthetic only.

He guesses in 5 years, there won't be any conventional (Dino) oil on the shelves, except maybe an odd 10w40 and 15w50.

He claims the cost of producing synthetic is becoming cheaper and more efficient, thus being more profitable for oil companies because they can charge more for synthetic. Profitability, he claims, is what is pushing this.

What ya think? Is the beloved Yellow Bottle soon to be unavailable and forgotten?

There has not been "dino" on the shelves for around 20 years every modern spec blend is at least group II.

Originally Posted by tig1
Originally Posted by rideahorse
There are places where dino is better than syn. Syn is not that much better than dino. Its just marketing and more profitable for the blender. They are good at pulling the wool over the consumers eyes.

Four of your suggestions are wrong.

It's always how its blended which matters most.

Seems unlikely. Sure synthetic is common now, but I'm willing to bet conventional still outsells it by a large margin.

Originally Posted by jongies3
Seems unlikely. Sure synthetic is common now, but I'm willing to bet conventional still outsells it by a large margin.

Every 19.99$ special oil change place is using conventional at that price, which is probably those places best selling service.

Most independent garages still buy conventional oil by the drum. It's how they make a profit. And in most cases, it doesn't make a difference. With the conventional oil and a low grade filter, they recommend that the customer return at 3 months or 3,000 miles. Most cars would be fine. Just like back in the 70's. A lot of those discount lube shops, when you read the fine print on the coupon, use 4 quarts of conventional 10W-40 or 10W-30 oil. It actually says that on the coupon. So if you want 5W-30 or 5W-20, it's additional. If you want more than 4 quarts, it's additional. You get the upsell? Almost every customer with a $20 coupon, pays $30 - $50, if they actually want the correct amount of oil, and the OEM spec weight grade. Then they'll advise you to use a better filter, which also cost more.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Certain GDI engines (KIA) have less intake valve deposits with regular dino oil

How do you know that?

If you do your own oil changes it's not big deal since you can get synthetic for cheap at Walmart. However, if you take it somewhere they completely rip you off for a synthetic oil change, so I hope for those who take their cars in for service, that conventional sticks around.

Look any MSDS for "conventional" 5w20, 5w30 and even some 10w30...they're all "Synthetic blends" now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back