Nissan Versa. Good kid car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scion Xa or other. Toyota reliabilty but more obscure so you pay less. My daughter got one for about $2000 and I've only done a couple of oil changes and got her new tires, though it needs some exhaust system work. A bit noisy but I find it fun to drive with the 5-speed. Handles well. Good in snow.

Originally Posted by tomcat27
as long as you steer away from the CVT, I'm in on a Versa. Mirage or Spark? uh, those are no better than the Versa.

If you can one a few years newer than a Versa, they are
smile.gif

Where the OP is, cars do not last long at all! Rust kills cars FAST. Up there, get the newest, least-rusty car you can afford, and Krown it annually

Appreciate the input so far!

Unfortunately, a manual transmission isn't happening. It's how I learned to drive, but I can't get the darling bride or kids on board with a MT. I wouldn't trust a MT in this age/price range anymore than an AT anyway.

Originally Posted by Jimkobb
Scotty Kilmer says Nissan CVT`s are not good.

Scotty Kilmer doesn't know everything, and frankly, I consider most of what he said to be... questionable.. about modern vehicles.

Originally Posted by JTK
Appreciate the input so far!

Unfortunately, a manual transmission isn't happening. It's how I learned to drive, but I can't get the darling bride or kids on board with a MT. I wouldn't trust a MT in this age/price range anymore than an AT anyway.

Get Nisan with CVT and let us know.

Purchased a new 2013 versa sedan for 14k. Nothing fancy but it has a/c, power windows and most importantly 66k miles of reliability. Brakes and battery have been the only requirements. 5,000 mile oci's with conventional 10w-30. It's paid for, costs $60 a month for insurance and now that I'm retired and not driving much I hope it's my last car.

I'm now the daily driver of my wife's 2008 Versa S Hatchback with 4 speed AT. She bought new. Has 130,000 miles on it now--no engine or transmission issues. Getting ready to replace factory spark plugs. Might use 1/2 quart of oil in between 5k changes. 32 mpg. Had it in the dealership for airbag and coil spring recall. I drive 100 miles a day highway commute. Just put on new Hankook tires and adjusted alignment--smooth on the road, engine still sounds good. I've been all over the map on engine oil--5w30, 10w30, syn, conventional, etc. I change it regularly with whatever clearance oil I have on hand and don't worry about it.

100% recommend.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by edyvw
Get VW Jetta 2.5 with Manual transmission.

Or a Rabbit!

Or a Beetle 2.0 slow or 2.5

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
You might be able to get an almost-new Spark or Mirage for that price.

There just happens to be a Spark in the Items for sale section. Wonder who's it is?

My take on the Versa. My wife and I bought a new 2007 S hatchback with the 6 speed manual in July 2006. It has been very reliable. It has very comfortable seats and has required no major repairs. We drove it 168,000 miles. I always used Amsoil 5W30 Signature Series doing an annual oil change. It never used oil between changes. It has no rust on it and is one of the few 2007 cars that do not have rust here in Michigan. We are very happy with the Versa. We sold it to our nephew. He loves it and is planning to drive it for a long time.

The other 2 vehicles that I've given consideration to are the Camry. $4-5K will get me a 13yr/old one with 150K miles on it.

I don't really get the later model Mitsubishi Mirage. Lots of 2015-2018 used ones in my area advertised at $10K+ with 40-50K miles on them. I thought those were $12K brand new?

Last edited:
Don't forget, the MSRP on the highly optioned Mirages are over $17k. So I could see some of them trying to be sold at $10k on the used market.

But yeah, they seem to be in the $11-12k range right now for the base model (albeit in stickshift), if you shop hard enough.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Manual trans only on a 5k used entry level car. It will never be worth putting money into so keep it simple.
In 2011, I looked for a new good deal manual transmission car. Couldn't find one. Two years later, I finally got a good deal, but it was a 2013 auto tranny Hyundai Elantra. Three years later, our local Hyundai dealer had LOTS of manual trannies & I got a good deal 2016 manual Elantra (as it was off-loaded from the tractor/trailer). Both cars are over 65,000 miles, both with great MPG, & neither one yet with their first repair.

Last edited:
I wound up picking up a 2015 Versa S with ~40K miles on it for $6500, with an extra set of wheels/snows/TPMS. I found it way out in the sticks. An older gent bought it for a ~100mi work commute he had for a few years, now he doesn't really need the car.

It's very basic. Crank windows. No power locks, although it has a power option with steering wheel audio controls and push button trunk release. Regular key. No FOB and it has the ancient RE4F03C 4spd automatic.

I looked at a few ~2008-2011 Versii, in hatchback flavor and was after a 2013 sedan at a dealer but every one of them had 3x the miles and were only $1500 or so cheaper.

The only thing that caught me by surprise and irritates me about this 2015 is Nissan decontented the dipstick, or any means to top fill the ATF in the 4spd RE4F03C for the 2014-2017 model years. Only the 2013 and earlier 4spd ATs have the trans dipstick. 2018+ are all CVT or 5spd for the base model.

There is a drain plug on the transmission pan and apparently is has the removable straw up the drain hole like Toyota ATs for level checking You have to use a special "charge pipe" to refill through the drain plug. I have the p/n for that, but I think I'll call a transmission shop I know and like for servicing this one.

I went with this car because they seem to hold up well in the rust belt. Tires and brakes are super cheap as are most suspension components for them. Insurance is very reasonable on them too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Nice car
thumbsup2.gif

I hope you get it rustproofed annually! Keep it rust-free
smile.gif

Most manufacturers killed off the dipstick long before Nissan did. Nissan actually stopped using it much later than everyone else. You can probably use the same kind of funnel you'd use when filling a manual transmission.

Thanks slacktide!

I may fluid film it myself, but will most likely take it to my local Krown.

I wish I could use a funnel to refill the AT. I'd have to flip the car over to do it unfortunately. This last generation has to have ATF pumped up through the pan drain.

Is this one of the cars that requires the removal of the intake manifold to replace the plugs? I know that's an issue on some older Versa models.

Seems it is still an issue:

Probably a decent car, but it seems they not built with serviceability in mind.

Definitely get the 4 speed auto over the CVT. I specifically bought my 2016 Versa with the 4AT. Fuel mileage is not as good but the 4AT has been around for a long time and are very solid transmissions. I am almost ready for another commuter car in the next year or so. I don't think I'll even consider a Versa again if the 4 speed auto is not offered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back