Engine done for? Some hope?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No low oil pressure code.

No metal picked up with magnet

Oil filter only caught a little as the filter was not coated with gold.

Car drives great through all RPM

Called PO and he said he didn't add any additives.

Guess I should keep driving it and see...

Last edited:
Does it have a gritty feel? I agree that looks like it could be some sort of additive, it could have been installed without the PO knowledge if he had the services done.

I'd also search out a Marque specific forum like Audi World or VW Vortex and see if there are any known issues with this engine.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Does it have a gritty feel? I agree that looks like it could be some sort of additive, it could have been installed without the PO knowledge if he had the services done.

I'd also search out a Marque specific forum like Audi World or VW Vortex and see if there are any known issues with this engine.

Good question as DuckRyder ask
What does it feel like ?
Is it solid or does it feel like a thick liquid of some sort ?

A few questions:

1. Is what we see in the OP the total of what settled-out from the entire drain?

2. You say the oil filter only caught a little. How do you know this? Did you cut open the filter?

You can send me the filter and I'll cut it open with a filter cutter and post the results, if you like. PM me

3. How does this stuff feel between the fingers? Gritty? Mushy?

I did cut open the filter

That's all after I drained it out of the drain pan. I'm sure there's more in the oil pan itself.

I'll feel it later and report back

How hard is it to lower the oil pan on these engines?

If it were me and I saw THAT MUCH metal flakes,
I'd be doing a thorough inspection - before I find I'm shelling out the big $$$$ for a new crankshaft!!

I would:

1) Get an accurate oil gauge on the engine, and see how the pressure compares to what is spec'd.

2) Change the oil again in 500 miles and see what you find in it.

3) Pull the pan and do a visual inspection of at least some of the bearings, if not too labor intensive.

It seems possible that some copper manufacturing debris could have been in the replaced cooler lines, but that seems a bit excessive. I would do at least a few frequent oil changes to flush the system, and then make UOA's a habit to monitor what is going on.

At the next oil change, would recommend at 500 miles, perform a full, 20 mile highway flush with cheap oil and filter, to get 99% of the contaminants out. Install your oil and filter of choice. Then sample the oil at 500, 1500 and 3000 to get a trend going. I hope the specs are just an additive.

Im thinking he put a bottle of hope in a can in it hoping to fix whatever was the issue to replace the oil cooler lines, intake spacers, heater bypass, injector work. Its more than likely something he put in it, like stop leak or something.

Here's a pic of a rod bearing that's way pass being bad
As you can see the copper layer is very thin
If all that copper color stuff in your pan is really copper ...³
That engine ain't long from 💥

D8999E93-4BD8-4046-BC8E-AB56A8D078B0.jpeg

Originally Posted by TimeRS4
Hi all. This is a sad first post for me. I bought an 07 Audi RS4 about a month ago. The car has high mileage, 122k miles, but is clean and drives really well. I *thought* I got a really good deal on it until I changed the oil last week.

Love that high rpm Euro V8 ... sounds FANTASTIC !!! But ...

There are no REALLY GOOD DEALS on decade + old Euro hyper sports sedans ... unless you own a Euro shop. And Audi RS stuff can be ungodly expensive.

That being said, if it runs good, with no knock, drive it ... if you are scared, sell it. Or ...

Cars like these need a $ 10 to 20 THOUSAND " just in case " emergency fund. That is why they are often remarkably cheap to buy. Because the expensive part is coming ...

So the shavings aren't as gritty as I thought it'd be.

When I rub the oil and shavings with just my thumb and pointer finger, I don't feel it at all. When I rub the oil against the drain pan itself, I can hear it rubbing against the plastic, however I can't feel it on my finger.

Originally Posted by TimeRS4
So the shavings aren't as gritty as I thought it'd be.

When I rub the oil and shavings with just my thumb and pointer finger, I don't feel it at all. When I rub the oil against the drain pan itself, I can hear it rubbing against the plastic, however I can't feel it on my finger.

OP
I don't think what your seeing or feeling is copper from your rod and main bearing. I really don't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back