15 WRX RGT 5W-30 UOA 5400 mi OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the last UOA from Blackstone used Shell RGT 5W-30 for a 5400 mile OCI. I did add 1/2 Qt during that time as usage was a bit more than with past Valvoline/ Mobil changes.

Capture.PNG

Sheared right down. Flash is still high; so doesn't seem to be fuel.

So much for a 'tough truck oil'!

I was looking forward for this uoa, very good results! Very low wear metals.

It did shear down to a 20 grade like every other GF5 I tried though, although it might not matter since the results are good.

Well out of Valvoline, Mobil, and RGT UOAs I have.The RGT had the lowest viscosity after the OCI.

Originally Posted by FA_WRX
Well out of Valvoline, Mobil, and RGT UOAs I have.The RGT had the lowest viscosity after the OCI.

Were they all in the 20 grade after the OCI?

Originally Posted by jbutch

Were they all in the 20 grade after the OCI?

Jbutch, Yes UOA samples left to right are RGT, Mobil 1 EP, Valvoline FS, and last Valvoline Maxlife. All in 5W-30

UOAs.PNG

I'm generally not a Valvoline fan for Subarus, but in all honesty, the Valvoline FS looks the stoutest. However, you do realize you've been cross-contaminating all your samples don't you? Also, did you run some kind of octane booster on the Valvoline? Manganese is generally a compound of an octane booster.

Considering all these sheared, have you looked at PP Euro L? My VOA showed it starts off at nearly 12.4cSt@100*C. There isn't any moly, but other than that it compares well to the other oils you've used, albeit much further towards the thick end of 30wts.

[Linked Image]

Yes, I get that unless you are running back to back OCI of the same oil you get some cross contamination. I was looking to see what the oil viscosity was. Im surprised none stayed in grade but am new to the whole UOA thing.

Yes. That probably was octane booster. I tryed one bottle on a whim. Car did not like it.

PP Euro L is in the stash to try.

Last edited:
I daily and track my 2015 WRX. The shearing is why I run 0W40 or 5W40 oils, as they still shear down to a 30 weight in short order. Given the Texas heat and my 250 degree track temps, 40 weight oils are a no brainer for me.

Yes, I get that unless you are running back to back OCI of the same oil you get some cross contamination. I was looking to see what the oil viscosity was. Im surprised none stayed in grade but am new to the whole UOA thing.

Yes. That probably was octane booster. I tryed one bottle on a whim. Car did not like it.

PP Euro L is in the stash to try.

In the 6 different UOAs I did, ALL of them sheared down to a 20 grade, granted they were all GF5 oils. They tend to really get trashed in our engine.

[Linked Image]

Hopefully the Rotella MV will hold better.

From an earlier thread someone did multiple UOAs with a non-GF5 SN rated oil (Mobil 1 ESP and Rotella MV) and they all stayed in the 30 grade.

I wonder what is in the GF5 oils that make them shear so much, VIIs?

And even if a GF5 starts a little thicker, like a few do, it's not going to be shear stable with the lower HTHS. That's why M1 ESP and RMV will usually stay in grade.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bluesubie
And even if a GF5 starts a little thicker, like a few do, it's not going to be shear stable with the lower HTHS. That's why M1 ESP and RMV will usually stay in grade.

I hope and I think it will be the case.

QSUD (which is a good oil imo) starts at 11.60 cst @100c and ended up at 7.81 cst @100c after 4500 miles.

A lot of people on this board claims it is fuel dilution, but it would require a lot of fuel to bring it down that much (BS reports 0.8%) and I highly doubt it is the case.

Next sample of RMV goes to OAI to clear this up.

QSUD (which is a good oil imo) starts at 11.60 cst @100c and ended up at 7.81 cst @100c after 4500 miles.

A lot of people on this board claims it is fuel dilution, but it would require a lot of fuel to bring it down that much (BS reports 0.8%) and I highly doubt it is the case.

OAI may only provide a fuel estimate if viscosity looks ok. Just put a note that you're also requesting an actual fuel reading by GC.

OAI may only provide a fuel estimate if viscosity looks ok. Just put a note that you're also requesting an actual fuel reading by GC.

Will do.

Is there an extra cost?

Will do.

Is there an extra cost?

No.
11.gif

Last edited:
I sent one sample to OAI as a check against blackstone. They where similar with most readings. A few were drastically different. Cost was similar they included TBN but dont do a flash point. IIRC.

Fuel dilution was also higher but they use a different testing method.

Last edited:
They all thin out but your engine is doing great regardless. I would just pick one and stick with it or try 10w30s of what you've already run and see if they behave differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back