Napa Gold FIL 2095 air filter

Just learned today that this filter and according to the sales person, all other NAPA GOLD air filters are no longer made by WIX for NAPA. Box says made in Mexico, not USA like in the past with NO reference to WIX.

Last edited:
Its a low volume application filter. Not many people need an air filter for a 1983 Cadillac Eldorado anymore. That's why the shipped production to Mexico.

Its the size that is used in my 70 Chevelle SS with a 396. Cross references from a Champion AF212 which cost the same.

Original post mentioned ALL Napa air filters....

So it is a whole other supplier now... Champion ?? Fram ??

Recent box I have shows Mann Hummel, which is the company that owns WIX now. Before this, the box was printed with Affinia (and Dana before that).

Not saying it's not possible that a change has been made, however I'd a take statement (ie., "all") like this from a counter employee with a grain of salt. As noted, Wix is now owned by M&H, so possible that's the origin of the statement. Could apply to topic application specifically, as shown recently with Napa Gold 1334 series OFs. Now made in S Korea, very similar to or same as Mann made Hyun/Kia oem. Looks to be at least of equivalent quality to previous Wix made OF. So for me, I'd take wait and see on this one.

Originally Posted by 007
Its the size that is used in my 70 Chevelle SS with a 396. Cross references from a Champion AF212 which cost the same.
Originally Posted by oldhp
The old 14" x 3" Hi-po open element air filter.

YEP! I recognized the number immediately - though I haven't bought a new one in over 20 years!!

But the real question is - - - how cheap can you get one from RockAuto?!?
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif
(probably Denso line)

Reactions: JC1
Standard corporate procedure to shift production when it becomes profitable. Can't really blame them in a situation like this where demand drops.

Last edited:
I guess the basic question would be is the NAPA GOLD filter made in Mexico still a quality product? Is it better product at twice the price than getting a FRAM product or similar?? In my case with my Chevelle big block I would like to stick to the best I can get with everything I buy but that has gotten a bit fuzzy (quality wise) as of late.

Last edited:
It may be worth checking the local O'Reilly for the Wix version (42095). STP are also excellent (SA136) and AZ stocks them. In both cases you can check the country of origin before buying.

AC Delco filters are also good (A212CW) but I don't think any brick/mortar stores stock them (ship to store at Home Depot). Can always return to HD store if it was made in a country you don't like!

If you need 14" diameter by 4" tall Wix 42096 (yep, I'm back to playing with carb'd Big Blocks again, after many, many years without)

But the real question is - - - how cheap can you get one from RockAuto?!?
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif
(probably Denso line)
When I was price checking air filters for my Honda, even though the initial cost of the filter is cheaper, after you pay for shipping, there honestly isn’t much of a difference.

When I was price checking air filters for my Honda, even though the initial cost of the filter is cheaper, after you pay for shipping, there honestly isn’t much of a difference.
They make a good "add on" to an existing order - IF
(that is a big IF) you can get it shipped from a warehouse your other stuff is also coming from
(or the increased shipping charges are usually nuts) - - - which I why I almost never order spark plugs from RockAuto because they almost NEVER come from the "same warehouse"

Does this filter still have that yellow phenolic resin that my NAPA Golds have?

That is the only reason I buy NAPA Gold. Years ago they said Wix and Golds were the same, the Wix filter did not have the yellow phenolic coating, and fewer pleats. Last I bought a NAPA Gold, it still had the Yellow phenolic resin.

Back