Polish followed by waxing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
For most people, regular use of an AIO will keep their car looking better than 90% of everything else on the road.

Unfortunately....while "shine" is all well and good...using the right products for UV, sealant, and other durable surface protection is what counts and what most of the same products claim to do, but many don't.

Originally Posted by HYUNDAIFAN0001
For most people, regular use of an AIO will keep their car looking better than 90% of everything else on the road.

Unfortunately....while "shine" is all well and good...using the right products for UV, sealant, and other durable surface protection is what counts and what most of the same products claim to do, but many don't.

Are you purposely this obtuse?

Shine is all well and good, because shiny paint years into ownership is the goal. The most basic care with the simplest products will achieve this. All of your buzzwords add up to one thing - attractive appearance throughout ownership. How far you want to take it is a personal decision, but to suggest that everyone needs to clay, polish, and select multiple top coats is absurd.

Are you purposely this obtuse?

Shine is all well and good, because shiny paint years into ownership is the goal. The most basic care with the simplest products will achieve this. All of your buzzwords add up to one thing - attractive appearance throughout ownership. How far you want to take it is a personal decision, but to suggest that everyone needs to clay, polish, and select multiple top coats is absurd.

WOW - certain people obviously embrace insults. Shameful.

If people don't understand that the words shine, protection, and durability are not the same...either in definition or purpose...there are plenty of online tools to help.

For those who do know, they understand that proper preparation is key to the use of any product. Nothing new there, but for some folks it's perhaps "enlightening".

If you're insulted by the word obtuse, then grow some thicker skin. Your feelings are not really a concern of mine.

The end goal is a lasting attractive finish. You maintain a finish's appearance through protection. The more durable a product is, the less frequently you have to apply it.

So again, different strokes for different folks. Not everyone needs an eleventy-step detail to maintain their finish to their standards. I stand by my statement:

If you're insulted by the word obtuse, then grow some thicker skin. Your feelings are not really a concern of mine.

The end goal is a lasting attractive finish. You maintain a finish's appearance through protection. The more durable a product is, the less frequently you have to apply it.

So again, different strokes for different folks. Not everyone needs an eleventy-step detail to maintain their finish to their standards. I stand by my statement:

Insults are insults. Clearly you have some communication challenges.

On topic:

Wash, clay-bar, polish, and sealant wax are 4 steps the last time I counted them. Adding glaze after polish UV spray wax on top would be optional steps supporting a longer-lasting and deeper shine for those people with that goal.

There's a proven right way to do things..and there are shortcuts.

Durability and shortcuts are not the same. Band-aids and stitches serve different purposes and get different results.

Anyone who promotes a quick fix does people seeking lasting/quality vehicle exterior protection AND shine a dis-service.

Originally Posted by Gipple
Is there any advantage to put a finishing wax on top of a Liquid Glass or Finish First Polish?
Any disadvantages?
I was toying with the idea of a light coat of Zymöl on top of the above polishes?
Thanks for the advice.

Using a sealant /wax on top of a polish can only improve the exterior protection of your vehicle. Note if they claim UV protection...as that is one of the most important aspects of a sealant or wax - it sustains the in-bedded UV protection in clear coat.

Originally Posted by gofast182
Leave it to HYUNDAIFAN0001 for our daily dose of detailing sanctimony.

Thanks for your input.

News from the almost-Jersey Shore. Always enjoy it.

Is there any advantage to put a finishing wax on top of a Liquid Glass or Finish First Polish?
Any disadvantages?
I was toying with the idea of a light coat of Zymöl on top of the above polishes?
Thanks for the advice.

Using a sealant /wax on top of a polish can only improve the exterior protection of your vehicle. Note if they claim UV protection...as that is one of the most important aspects of a sealant or wax - it sustains the in-bedded UV protection in clear coat.

Again, he is not currently using true polishes. He is using synthetic sealants labeled "polishes" by marketing teams.

Using Zymöl as a topper is something he could do, depending on which Zymöl he means. If it is the product most commonly found at auto parts stores in the US, it would be Zymöl Cleaner Wax, which could remove the sealant he has already applied. Likewise, Finish First has chemical cleaners that will remove anything underneath it.

If he wants to add a true Carnauba as a topper to add some depth and warmth, I would recommend Meguiar's M26.

AIO's work fine for most people. If you're OCD about your ride, I would recommend at least doing an initial full detail. That includes a wash, then claying the entire vehicle. This will tell you if any actual polish (and when I say polish, I mean a product with abrasives in it) is needed. Once the polishing is complete, then you can apply a good long lasting wax or sealant. This entire process shouldn't need to be done often, as once you've done it the first time, all that should be necessary after that is washing and reapplying the sealant as needed...

Any disadvantages?
Thanks for the advice.

Again, he is not currently using true polishes. He is using synthetic sealants labeled "polishes" by marketing teams.

Using Zymöl as a topper is something he could do, depending on which Zymöl he means. If it is the product most commonly found at auto parts stores in the US, it would be Zymöl Cleaner Wax, which could remove the sealant he has already applied. Likewise, Finish First has chemical cleaners that will remove anything underneath it.

If he wants to add a true Carnauba as a topper to add some depth and warmth, I would recommend Meguiar's M26.

It's my understanding that 26 also contains silicones and polymers so it is not a pure carnauba wax.

Originally Posted by PimTac
It's my understanding that 26 also contains silicones and polymers so it is not a pure carnauba wax.

So it does. Even Gold Class has polymers now. Is there a pure carnauba wax from Meguiar's any more? Deep Crystal maybe?

In any case... it does not contain any "cleaning" agents and will not remove or strip whatever is underneath it. It also has a wonderful warm glow. I could have sworn that M26 was the Carnauba and M21 was the sealant... Maybe the formulations have changed? Maybe I've lost it?

Maybe I just remember it saying "Yellow Wax" on the bottle.

Originally Posted by PimTac

So it does. Even Gold Class has polymers now. Is there a pure carnauba wax from Meguiar's any more? Deep Crystal maybe?

In any case... it does not contain any "cleaning" agents and will not remove or strip whatever is underneath it. It also has a wonderful warm glow. I could have sworn that M26 was the Carnauba and M21 was the sealant... Maybe the formulations have changed? Maybe I've lost it?

Maybe I just remember it saying "Yellow Wax" on the bottle.

I'm sure they are out there but any wax that is a pure wax is becoming less and less common.

Most waxes are not pure carnauba but a blend of various waxes. Over the years oils and now silicones and polymers have been added to make them easier to apply and for better durability. I'm guessing that costs come into play as well.

The whole detailing industry is mixing up terms like wax, sealant, coating and polish to the point that for the consumer it's hard to tell which is which. Even some quick detailers have sealant properties now. Sonax BSD is one example.

Any disadvantages?
Thanks for the advice.

This is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back