Hyunda SP4-M Compatible ATF ?

My 2017 Sonata has a 6 speed transmission calling for SP4-M , unfortunately both Hyunda and Kia want over $20 per qrt. for it ... *I believe I can run Maxlife Multi Vehicle ATF (if upgraded to meet SP4-M) or I can use Redline D6 (not sure of the price) - any other SP4-M compatible ATF's you have used with good results in place of the OEM SP4-M ?

Ive had excellent results with this fluid
thumbsup2.gif

Schaeffer All-Trans https://www.schaefferoil.com/documents/90-204SAT-td.pdf

From what I've read, Hyundai/Kia is not like the other auto makers when your engine or transmission goes kapluey under warranty.
They want absolute proof you properly maintained your vehicle according to the owners manual or your screwed. Spend time on Ripoff Report.com if you think otherwise.

I don't care much for Amsoil, but if I wasn't under warranty, I'd use it in this application.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...-synthetic-automatic-transmission-fluid/

OP: I'm not sure how picky Hyundai's are when it comes to trans fluid. All the dealers around here use BG ATF, unless OEM is requested by the customer. Historically, Hyundai/Kia ATF hasn't been a very good product, although now it apparently is quite stout.

There's been lots of buzz about SP4-M lately due to the apparent price hike of the OEM products. In my area, 6 local dealers (Jeep,Kia, Hyundai) use what JustN89 stated (BG) even on vehicles still under warranty . This goes against what skyactive claims about dealers insisting by-the-book OEM fluids only.

To the OP, dig around a bit and you will find about a dozen products that list "compatible with" SP4-M. Even the Warren MAG 1 product claims SP4-M compatibility. What's odd is that the Asian and European brands (Eneos, etc,) have not changed their labeling from SP4 to SP4-M. Something I "imagined" that I read somewhere was that the U.S. version initially came out as a synthetic blend and the M version is now full synthetic, just like the Asian and European brands have always been. Just my thought that I wish someone would try to disprove.

Battles rage on Hyundai and Kia forums that their trannies are especially sensitive to fluid and the use of a universal product is hotly contested. LOTS of evidence shows up at BITOG to suggest people are getting very long life using non OEM fluids.

FWIW: In talking to the Kia tech who replaced my engine this past December (under warranty for the "Rod knock of death"), the transmissions are seen as very reliable and also pretty inexpensive (as far as transmissions go) to replace (~$1.5K). Thought that was very interesting if universally true (not just this dealership's service departments experience).

Last edited:
*I believe that even if my 2017 Sonata is under warrantee - as long as the Maxlife all vehicle ATF states suitable for SP4-M on the container - then you should be covered with Hyundai ... Otherwise you threaten them with the " Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" which essentially states that if Hyundai only states their SP4-M ATF be used , then Hyundai has to supply it for FREE !!

Originally Posted by JustN89
Originally Posted by Diesel12
thumbsup2.gif

This is NOT the correct fluid for SP-IV M.

If you want to run Schaeffer's trans fluid, the correct fluid to run their Dexron VI/Mercon ATF #205A.

Im sorry i seen the spec right on the list? But to your answer it does show the smae spec for the LV Trans fluid.

Hyundai/Kia/Mitsubishi SP II, SP
III, SP IV, J2, SPH-IV, SP-IV-RR,
NWS-968, Kia Red-1

Originally Posted by JustN89
thumbsup2.gif

This is NOT the correct fluid for SP-IV M.

If you want to run Schaeffer's trans fluid, the correct fluid to run their Dexron VI/Mercon ATF #205A.

Im sorry i seen the spec right on the list? But to your answer it does show the smae spec for the LV Trans fluid.

Hyundai/Kia/Mitsubishi SP II, SP
III, SP IV, J2, SPH-IV, SP-IV-RR,
NWS-968, Kia Red-1

The #204SAT is not the low-viscosity fluid that Hyundai calls for- that would be the #205A. Schaeffer's has it mislabeled. I sent their customer service an e-mail and asked which one to run and they confirmed that it would be #205A. Attached is the e-mail below. I doubt it matters, but I blocked her last name out just for privacy reasons.

Schaeffer.jpg

Originally Posted by doitmyself

Battles rage on Hyundai and Kia forums that their trannies are especially sensitive to fluid and the use of a universal product is hotly contested. LOTS of evidence shows up at BITOG to suggest people are getting very long life using non OEM fluids.

Yeah. Back with the SP-III fluids, those transmissions were very picky on fluid, and were basically OEM fluid only.

When they went to SP-IV and now SP-IV-M, that fluid is basically Dex VI/Toyota WS spec.

Maxlife ATF is my fluid of choice for my fleet for the foreseeable future (Merc V, Toyota WS, SP-IV, Dex VI).

If OEM Hyundai SP4-M is now the full synthetic version then it stands to reason that Maxlife All Vehicle ATF (full synthetic) or the Castrol All Vehicle ATF (also full synthetic) claiming SP4-M compatibility would also be just as good ? Currently , the OEM Hyundai SP4-M ATF is over $20 per quart (ouch) . *When Maxlife ATF is $18 per gallon and Hyundai OEM is $80 per gallon - that is a significant cost difference to consider !

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
*I believe that even if my 2017 Sonata is under warrantee - as long as the Maxlife all vehicle ATF states suitable for SP4-M on the container - then you should be covered with Hyundai ... Otherwise you threaten them with the " Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" which essentially states that if Hyundai only states their SP4-M ATF be used , then Hyundai has to supply it for FREE !!

I'm not sure where you got the "they must give it to you for free" part, I just read the entire Act and unless I missed something i couldn't find any reference to "free".

The Act prohibits mfgs from from conditioning the warranty on the use of any non-original equipment part or service. In the Act this is referred to as a "tie in sales". And a manufacturer can only deny warranty coverage if it can demonstrate that a non-original equipment part or related service caused a defect to occur in the original product.

For that reason 👆alone, I only used OE fluids and parts whenever something needed to be replaced but that's just me. I wasn't going to give the mfg any wiggle room to deny a potential claim. In my experience dealerships aren't going to fight you over small ticket stuff but an engine or transmission isn't exactly peanuts these days. You're obviously free to do what you want but I thought you should know that the Magnusson-Moss Act doesn't provide absolute insurance against a warranty denial. And it's also worth mentioning that your threat of the Magnusson-Moss Act doesn't scare a automobile mfg, they get these threats everyday and have a staff of attorney's and forensics engineers who do nothing but respond to Magnusson-Moss threats. You however, will need to hire an attorney to advocate on your behalf with no guarantee the outcome will be in your favour.

Fwiw, I've been using MaxLife in lieu of Hyundai SP3 for a while now without any issues whatsoever and in all likelihood I'd say MaxLife would do just fine replacing SP4-M.

Last edited:
Ok, so the "mfg must provide for free" thing kept bugging me and I was able to locate where that language came from. While that specific language isn't contained in the Act itself, the Federal Trade Commission did issue a bulletin interpreting the Act and in the FTC's bulletin is found the explanation of the "free" thing. So you were accurate. I wasn't aware that the FTC issued a bulletin.

Here's a link 👇to the bulletin in case you're curious.

FTC Bulletin Magnusson-Moss

*At $20+ per qrt. for SP4-M I believe Hyundai is guilty of gouging customers ! ... Redline D6 , Amsoil , Maxlife , Castrol all have to be good if they state SP4-M on the bottles .

I'm also planning on doing my own ATF drain and refill on my 2017 sonata sport. So after reading all the good info here I did some research online and looks like SP4 can be used on transmissions that already have SP4-M, and the M "provides improved ultra-low viscosity and friction mofdifiers" as was mentioned before on this thread.
So looking in Amazon I found a bottle of SP4-M and took a screenshot of the label.
Screenshot_2020-12-09_20-58-14.png

Back