Masking tape issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

Not the first time this has happened but this is a name brand 3M tape. Do you have go up to the blue painters tape to get something that comes off the roll cleanly? I put it in the microwave for 20 seconds and that helps a lot but don't think I should have to.

Yeah, I get this with the cheap stuff. Agree, name brand like 3M I'd expect better too.

Never heard of the microwave fix. What's the concept behind it?

How old is the tape, and how was it stored? Even the best tape goes bad over time. Store it in a van like I do and it goes bad fast. In the basement not as fast but it still goes bad . Ask me how I know.

^ That. As it ages the adhesive hardens, plus the typical beige has an acrylic based adhesive but some blue (not a rule, but for 3M at least) has rubber instead. It will still perform worse as it ages.

Last edited:
That tape has expired.
The conditions it was stored in matters, too.

Did you know liquid laundry detergent also ages and loses some of it's full effectiveness if it's years old?
Tape and liquid laundry detergent are a few of many items that don't have an expiration date. Do you really think Tide or 3M wants to be the first company to start putting
an expiration date on such products?

For painting, I have gone to Frog tape. I have peeled it off and re-used it on some projects.Try that with regular masking tape.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Never heard of the microwave fix. What's the concept behind it?

Seems to soften the glue so it peels off in one piece. It is a few years old but bought the 3M after seeing the store brand doing the same thing.

Would storing it in an air tight container or plastic bag help? I know the Frog Tape comes in the plastic containers to prolong the paint/water activated edge, I wonder if it helps the tape last longer over all as well.

I have always written the Month & Year on everything I buy (use a Sharpie Marker).
Such as auto fluids, bathroom products, canned foods etc.
Pretty much everything in the house except maybe a bag of Potato Chips / lets be realistic, they won't be around long enough to go bad.

Doing so helps you rotate your stock, and sometimes,
I look at an item and think, "wow, I bought this 9 years ago" / if I have to trash it, I don't feel so bad.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by EdwardC
Would storing it in an air tight container or plastic bag help? I know the Frog Tape comes in the plastic containers to prolong the paint/water activated edge, I wonder if it helps the tape last longer over all as well.

It might extend the life slightly. Storing it in a basement for example where temperatures remain stable, as long as the humidity isn't that high is a good place. Keeping it in my van for example where the temperatures swing, and summer temps inside the van are well over 100F shortens the life a lot. The bottom line: hoarding tape because you get a great deal on a sale somewhere is not a great idea. If you aren't going to use the tape within about 6 months don't stockpile it.

We buy 3M blue by the sleeve here where I work. Spend the money and buy the good stuff. Frog Tape is good stuff too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back