2020 Chevy Trailblazer

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
I'm sure that the new Blazer and Trailblazer will be miles better than their previous iterations, and will perform excellently in the tasks that 99% of their buyer will purchase them for.

Are people really concerned that these new cars won't be as capable as the mid-90's trash that preceded it? Gimme a break.

We used the Trailblazer as a desert vehicle and for towing. I towed cars on trailers multiple times and despite only being RWD, the locker in the rear was used often, it was quite capable.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
I'm sure that the new Blazer and Trailblazer will be miles better than their previous iterations, and will perform excellently in the tasks that 99% of their buyer will purchase them for.

Are people really concerned that these new cars won't be as capable as the mid-90's trash that preceded it? Gimme a break.

The last generation of TB was actually quite good. A semi-bulletproof I6, body on frame, RWD/4WD. It was a GOOD combination that would easily go 200,000 miles if semi decently maintained. If GM would make me a brand new 09 TB versus this I would rather have the 09. There are enough FWD "SUVs" on the market as it is. Chevy currently makes 4 of these FWD SUVs ( not including the Tahoe and Suburban). So this is going to make 5. I would prefer the old style over another unibody.

That new 2020 Trailblazer would been great if they put it on a frame. It would have been a perfect median for Chevys line up. If you want an actual SUV (Body on Frame, RWD) your gonna shell out 48K MSRP on a Tahoe or 51k MSRP on an Suburban. They could have had a good winner here at they made it on a frame/RWD and make it in the mid-high 20K range.

Reusing and old nameplate on a vehicle that is in a different class doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but what do I know. I'm not a marketing guy.

That being said, the nostalgia here for the older style SUV's is amusing. When I buy a truck, I expect to buy a truck, etc... These aren't trucks anymore and the market has spoken. Why do people think 4 door trucks sell like hotcakes? (And for that matter, the unibody SUV's that aren't "trucks" do too?)

We had two Trailblazers in the family. They both made 200,000 miles, and the I6 was a good motor. That being said, compared to today's SUV's, they do not have a great ride/handling, and the number of electrical gremlins that plagued both of them was astounding.

They were OK in their prime, but I'll take most of whats being made today as compared to that... (And I say that as an owner of a 4th Gen Explorer - the last of the body on frame for that (with a V8 even...)

Smart move by GM. Good Chevy is recycling some brand recognition for select few people and retaining a suitable name for a CUV/SUV.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Smart move by GM. Good Chevy is recycling some brand recognition for select few people and retaining a suitable name for a CUV/SUV.

I wouldn't call it a smart move. From what I can see the only similarities with the original TB is the name. They even made the Trailblazer smaller than the Blazer this time
33.gif
lol.gif
If I was a die hard Trailblazer fan I would be upset. To me this is similar to when the released those nasty Dodge Daytona's in the 80s. They have NOTHING in common with the original besides the nameplate and 4 wheels.

If Ford does this to the Bronco I will be VERY upset.

The name doesn't seem to suit the vehicle, but at this point they are already late to that party. Sure, most GMT360 Trailblazers never went off road, but at least they could function in the way their name implied. This thing looks like it's for purely on-road use and has nothing in common with it's namesake aside from the number of doors. Slapping any name on any vehicle to squeeze a little name recognition out of it is cheap and lazy, and no matter how many times it makes them the butt of jokes, some manufacturers just keep doing it (two in particular). And why does the thing have to be so ugly and so generic? It looks like they took a Nissan Kicks and just smashed some sort of angry, disjointed Camaro/Toyota/Predator face on it. Yes, I am sure it is more economical than a GMT360 Trailblazer, it's probably better as a rental car, and it might even have better fit and finish quality than "90s trash," but it's also just a generic FWD economy crossover. If this thing is suitable as a "Trailblazer," why not just make everything a generic FWD crossover, since "that's what the market wants," and just use the names for their recognition? Why not make the Camaro and Corvette FWD crossovers too? Wouldn't more people like them because that's what the market wants? Wouldn't a Camaro based on a Traverse outperform a "1990s trash" Camaro for most owners? There seems to be endless room in lineups for CUVs, so more of them with recognizable names has to be the answer, right?
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta

If Ford does this to the Bronco I will be VERY upset.

I am betting on the Bronco being a factory bro-truck aimed at the Wrangler crowd. It won't be a FWD car, but it will cost a fortune and probably even the most basic trim will look cartoonish.

I am glad my 1990s trash Explorer doesn't have any rust...real axles front and rear with real 4WD, all without looking like some sort of bro-transformer cartoon truck.

That vehicle is "right sized" for the market they are after. They will sell a TON OF THEM.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted by eljefino
They still sell the Ford Explorer but it's some unibody 4 cyl turbo thing now. This trailblazer looks like its trying to fit in a similar spot in the lineup.

The new Explorer went back to RWD
19.gif

As far as this Blazer is concerned, what a dud! They should've brought over the international Trailblazer (based on the Colorado)

[Linked Image]

Absolutely.

GM blew their chance with this. Look on any messageboard or social media platform and you'll see a huge demand for the BOF Colorado-Based Trailblazer.

I'll never buy another GM vehicle again. I waited years for the TrailBlazer to be released in the US, and we get this? What a smack in the face.

PS - my family bought a TrailBlazer brand new in 2002. They still own and daily drive it today. While the body is starting to rust, the drivetrain has been rock solid over the years. It's an absolute animal in the snow and can tow 6200 pounds with the right rear end. That's the type of vehicle we're looking to buy - not a jacked up car that would blow up towing a jetski and have rotted out rockers (aka the frame) after 8 years.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I wouldn't own it, but it's a far better driver than this piece of junk:

[Linked Image]

I'm sorry, I have to strongly disagree - those Blazers were a very solid, capable vehicles.

YES, they had their issues, but every vehicle from that period did, and YES, they were a rougher driver than many vehicles, but they were a true body-on-frame truck based SUV. The 4.3 V-6 was a strong, powerful engine.

Originally Posted by oilpsi2high
This is like GM bringing back the Monte Carlo and basing it off of the Spark.

Or a Lumina.

That is why they are not selling it to any of you.
I had a 71 K-5 Blazer and 1991 S-10 Blazer. Does not hurt my feelings what they called it one bit.
Both good vehicles. My 91 was never let me down.

What I will tell you is no one wants a full-size 2 door Blazer or they would be selling them.
They couldn't so they stopped selling it.

It is the reason you don't see a lot of single cab trucks. They are useless to a family
My wife really likes it and I don't mind it. Probably a good grocery getter.

BITOG is not the market for this vehicle.

Fully revealed yesterday at the LA Auto Show.

Sized between Trax and Equinox

Starts UNDER $20,000

1.2 and 1.3 liter turbo engines. FWD and AWD. CVT trans, except the 1.3 AWD which is a 9 speed auto.

Standard safety equipment:

• Forward Collision Alert
• Automatic Emergency Braking
• Front Pedestrian Braking
• IntelliBeam Headlamps (Auto High Beam Assist)
• Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning
• Rear Vision Camera
• Teen Driver
• Rear Seat Reminder

At this price it basically is the Cruze replacement.

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/u...ews/us/en/2019/nov/1120-trailblazer.html

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/u...ews/us/en/2019/may/0529-trailblazer.html

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

They painted the roof white? Not sure I like that... makes sense in hot climates I guess?

1.2L, really? I know it's turbocharged but it just sounds... small.

I hate micro suvs. Why have something so small with no cargo and no rear seat space? It would make more sense as a 2 seater.

Originally Posted by dareo
I hate micro suvs. Why have something so small with no cargo and no rear seat space? It would make more sense as a 2 seater.

No rear seat space? It appears much larger than most hatchbacks. Certainly larger than the old Cruze or Focus hatchback. Skip to 3:20

I mean, the first gen trailblazer may have been on a truck frame... but it wasn't some offroad monster. Just like the Explorer. They were always just "cooler" minivans with 4x4. So not sure what everyone in here is complaining about with the use of the trailblazer name.

Okay i guess its just large enough to be not useless in my opinion. Still don't like the small engines and CVT business.

Back