Does a vehicle percieved to be a rental car lower it's resale

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not about make/model. It's about an individual car's actual use in a rental. It goes by individual examples, by VIN, not simply by make/model

For example, a Hyundai Elantra might not have a low resale value because a lot of them are used as rentals. But a specific Elantra that was a former rental would have a lower resale than other Elantras
smile.gif

Originally Posted by twouvakind
Hyundai and resale value, an oxymoron to say the least.

Still better than most luxury cars, Mercedes, Jaguar, Land Rover, etc. after 3 or 4 years. And I'd buy a rental before a lease car. At least the rental gets maintained and washed regularly. I can image some lease cars not getting an oil change until they are turned back in.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
I been looking at Hyundai's sedans. I notice a lot of them are used in car rental fleets. This concerns me as my thoughts are that being perceived as a rental car brings done the resale value. So is this a real concern?

Some people think that rental fleets are well maintained by fleet service mechanics.

Other people think that every rental car was abused, and driven like it was stolen.

I'd never buy a new Hyundai. Not when you can get such a great deal on a used one.

My Sonata was 2 years old when I bought it for $10k...

my jeep cherokee was very high on the "depreciation list"

they dont factor in msrp to actual price paid

so my $38500 2017 jeep cherokee that I paid 28000 for "depreciated over 13500" in 2 year.. amazing.... yet retarded.
(received 24,xxx for it)

The subaru forester I paid 23,XXX (invoice -2%) msrp was round $24500 IIRC

and got 18.5k for it after 3 years.. so it only depreciated 6000 in 3 years.... best rate ever eh?

Originally Posted by DoubleNickels
I been looking at Hyundai's sedans. I notice a lot of them are used in car rental fleets. This concerns me as my thoughts are that being perceived as a rental car brings done the resale value. So is this a real concern?

Some people think that rental fleets are well maintained by fleet service mechanics.

Other people think that every rental car was abused, and driven like it was stolen.

The two are by no means mutually exclusive. Offhand, my car was well-maintained...and also saw pretty hard use.

My guess is that rentals that originate or end up at airport locations or other large centers where they do cleaning and washing plus maintenance are taken care of better than other locations. The rental agency near a car dealership will save money by not running the car through a wash and vacuum or they don't have the staffing.

I've rented many cars from most of the major outfits. I've gotten nice clean cars and those that were obviously well worn and dirty, including from the same company.

I buy quite a few used cars for my dealership. A lot are from Enterprise, Jeep Grand Cherokees - nicely optioned, AWD Cherokees, brought in a nice Ford Edge AWD SEL with leather and nav. Went to a family expecting a baby. Less that 15k miles on that one.
All went for very competitive prices, not one came back with an unhappy owner.
Daily rentals have to be disclosed to prospective buyers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by addyguy
I would never buy a vehicle based on resale value. Buy the vehicle that works best for you, and look to keep it 7+ years. Any other scenario costs you huge.

This 👆... with a 10yr powertrain warranty on a new Hyundai/Kia, I'd drive that thing for the next decade - MINIMUM. And besides, once that loans paid off you still likely have 5 or more years left on the warranty and that's money in the bank.

Maybe a lease is better for the OP??🤔 Because this, in my opinion, is really not a question worth staying up at night about.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Danno
Daily rentals have to be disclosed to prospective buyers.

That law will vary from State to State, but in general yes. CarMax got sued several years back in Maryland for failing to disclose prior rental car history. This usually applies to taxi and police service vehicles also. But you shouldn't be buying a used car without pulling the Carfax anyhow. Most reputable used car dealers/brokers will have that done already.

Fwiw, the average car spends about 13 months in a rental agencies inventory (just looked it up), so many rental vehicles still have a good chunk of their warranty left. So the rental agency takes the hit on pricing and you [can] get a decent "new" car at a used car price with a lot of warranty left.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spasm3
I've owned at least 3-4 rental cars . Avis, National, Hertz all used to sell at the PTI airport. I've owned an olds Calais, Cutlass ciera, grand am, and a 2001 Ford escape.

I bought them all under 30k miles and drove them over 150k without issue. Usually any recalls were taken care of before I got the car.

Now not many rental companies sell, maybe Enterprise. At one time dealers in had a deal to buy back rentals and sell the rentals and that's when most stopped having a car sales lot.

Some of you might have bought a rental car from a dealer and unot known it was a rental. I think they called them program cars. Some were lease turn-ins, some were rental cars.

I have not looked at rentals in years so I don't know what mileages they run up before selling.

I don't think the deals are there like they used to be.

Yes, Enterprise still sells their rental cars

"Yes, Enterprise still sells their rental cars"

At least in HQ St Louis, Enterprise gets a LOT more money for cars than Hertz does, and has many more retail outlets.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rand
are you buying a used rental car?

nope. i am looking at new Hyundai sedans, and am concerned that since so many are used in rental fleets might affect the resale value

Why don't you go on Enertrprise, Avis, etc., used car sites and check the selling price of what they are asking and then look at the Kelley Blue Book site and that will give you a definitive answer about how close the rental car companies to KBB's suggested sell prices?

Originally Posted by dishdude
Hyundais and sedans have poor resale overall so why not look at a used one?

Perpetuated internet myth......

If rental/fleet use did not mean anything, they would not be listed on the CarFax or other vehicle reporting services. It means something to most informed consumers buying a vehicle.

I would never consider a rental car purchase simply because they are often abused, not always maintained and are not optioned like I prefer. I also never base resale value on what I buy - I don't care, I want what I want and I keep them a long time.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
I would never consider a rental car purchase simply because they are often abused, not always maintained and are not optioned like I prefer. I also never base resale value on what I buy - I don't care, I want what I want and I keep them a long time.

Buying used from a private party doesn't necessarily offer any more assurances or guarantees that the vehicle wasn't abused. In a used car purchase, I've never had someone save me the time by coming right out and saying, "Oh yeah I've spent the last 5yrs beating up the suspension/drivetrain and never really changed any fluids until I decided to sell the car...see how clean the coolant and oil looks!"...‚

No matter who or where you're buying the vehicle from, the same rule applies - caveat emptor.

Last edited:
I may or may not have seen a few enterprise cars on the track.

I may or may not have participated in said events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back