SEARS: 4 Stroke/Lawnmower Maintenance Deals
by GumbyJarvis - 11/19/19 02:17 AM
Pepboys Coupon
by Xeno - 11/19/19 02:12 AM
Pennzoil “Designed for Your Drive”
by LubeFiner - 11/19/19 02:09 AM
Ebay $15 of $75 purchase
by GMguy84 - 11/19/19 12:06 AM
How thorough are coolant flushes at auto shops?
by Whammo - 11/18/19 10:58 PM
Fixed Orifice PCV design and issues.
by Talent_Keyhole - 11/18/19 10:44 PM
Redline Si-1 turning the light out
by lukejo - 11/18/19 10:16 PM
Quickjack BL-7000EXT
by The Critic - 11/18/19 08:27 PM
'17 Accent
by Al - 11/18/19 07:40 PM
considering a newer car.
by JustinH - 11/18/19 06:56 PM
2007 Accord - P0420 Code
by maverickfhs - 11/18/19 06:52 PM
2009 Ford Focus UOA Mag 1 5W30 4265 miles
by tomcruise - 11/18/19 06:09 PM
What’s in HM oil ?
by kstanf150 - 11/18/19 06:03 PM
Heater Core replacement 1997 Explorer
by racer44 - 11/18/19 06:01 PM
No shocker, but a rip-off story...
by KGMtech - 11/18/19 05:55 PM
AGM Question
by Bear - 11/18/19 05:36 PM
Newest Members
Joe_Cena, MickWK, DaveOilStack, spiffy63, WhiteMega1227
69911 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
92 registered members (1foxracing, Aero540T, 53' Stude, 5azzmonkey, 1978elcamino, A310, 5 invisible), 1,804 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics297,622
Posts5,119,512
Members69,911
Most Online3,589
Nov 2nd, 2019
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Polish followed by waxing [Re: Gipple] #5123313 06/02/19 06:16 PM
A
atikovi Offline
A
Originally Posted by Gipple
Ok. I have been washing/polishing my cars for 40 years.
I have never applied a coat of wax after I have used a polish. The clay bar/polish process has always been smooth and the water beaded up beautifully.
Is there any advantage to put a finishing wax on top of a Liquid Glass or Finish First Polish?
Any disadvantages?
I was toying with the idea of a light coat of Zymöl on top of the above polishes?
Thanks for the advice.

You're confusing terms like polish, cleaner and wax. First you use the clay. Then a cleaner. Then top with wax or sealant. You can combine the last two steps with a cleaner/wax product to save time.

Re: Polish followed by waxing [Re: The_Nuke] #5123438 06/02/19 08:10 PM
P
PlzRepond Offline
P
Originally Posted by The_Nuke
Originally Posted by CKN
There are other products that refer to themselves as "polish" when they are not.

The Turtle Wax Ice synthetic paint sealant used to come in a paste form, and it was called TW Ice Paint Polish right on the can. It wasn't even a cleaner wax, so there was no polishing done at all. I don't see that product in paste anymore, so it's likely not available now, which is a shame because I loved that stuff for use on my Challengers' black trim. It was the bomb!

Ice paste wax is still out there just hard to find. You might have to order it online

Re: Polish followed by waxing [Re: atikovi] #5123644 06/03/19 04:21 AM
H
HYUNDAIFAN0001 Offline
H
Originally Posted by atikovi
Ok. I have been washing/polishing my cars for 40 years.
I have never applied a coat of wax after I have used a polish. The clay bar/polish process has always been smooth and the water beaded up beautifully.
Is there any advantage to put a finishing wax on top of a Liquid Glass or Finish First Polish?
Any disadvantages?
I was toying with the idea of a light coat of Zymöl on top of the above polishes?
Thanks for the advice.

You're confusing terms like polish, cleaner and wax. First you use the clay. Then a cleaner. Then top with wax or sealant. You can combine the last two steps with a cleaner/wax product to save time.

Agree. Not prepping the surface with claybar first, and relying only on a polish doesn't really provide protection. Polish is for removing swirls and surface imperfections.

After the clay bar & polish steps....a good sealant wax or top coat spray wax with UV protection is also a recommendation.

Always taking care of my rides.
Re: Polish followed by waxing [Re: Gipple] #5123647 06/03/19 04:28 AM
D
demarpaint Offline
D
I was always under the impression that a true "polish" had to be followed up by a top coat of wax or some kind of paint sealant. I think over the years the term polish took on a new meaning with some companies?

God Bless Our Troops

Re: Polish followed by waxing [Re: HYUNDAIFAN0001] #5123654 06/03/19 04:39 AM
rooflessVW Online Content
Online Content
Originally Posted by HYUNDAIFAN0001
Originally Posted by atikovi

Agree. Not prepping the surface with claybar first, and relying only on a polish doesn't really provide protection. Polish is for removing swirls and surface imperfections.

After the clay bar & polish steps....a good sealant wax or top coat spray wax with UV protection is also a recommendation.

I don't think the OP has anything confused. The products he's using are marketed as "polishes" but are, at best, cleaner waxes/sealants. Not everyone wants to be bothered with a clay bar or multi-step corrections. For most people, regular use of an AIO will keep their car looking better than 90% of everything else on the road.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I was always under the impression that a true "polish" had to be followed up by a top coat of wax or some kind of paint sealant. I think over the years the term polish took on a new meaning with some companies?

I think the term "polish" has always existed in the public's mind as "make shiny," so companies market things that will make your car shiny as a polish. Do car savvy people typically use these products, or are they typically marketed to the layperson? The latter. Take "The Once a Year Car Polish" as a prime example.

Look at Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax - what about it is a wax? It's a top coating for water repellency and shine - and in the public's mind that means "wax." Meguiar's themselves admitted that they marketed it this way because of consumer perception.

"Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead."
Re: Polish followed by waxing [Re: rooflessVW] #5123670 06/03/19 05:02 AM
H
HYUNDAIFAN0001 Offline
H
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
For most people, regular use of an AIO will keep their car looking better than 90% of everything else on the road.

Unfortunately....while "shine" is all well and good...using the right products for UV, sealant, and other durable surface protection is what counts and what most of the same products claim to do, but many don't.

Re: Polish followed by waxing [Re: HYUNDAIFAN0001] #5123688 06/03/19 05:32 AM
Online Content
For most people, regular use of an AIO will keep their car looking better than 90% of everything else on the road.

Unfortunately....while "shine" is all well and good...using the right products for UV, sealant, and other durable surface protection is what counts and what most of the same products claim to do, but many don't.

Are you purposely this obtuse?

Shine is all well and good, because shiny paint years into ownership is the goal. The most basic care with the simplest products will achieve this. All of your buzzwords add up to one thing - attractive appearance throughout ownership. How far you want to take it is a personal decision, but to suggest that everyone needs to clay, polish, and select multiple top coats is absurd.

Re: Polish followed by waxing [Re: rooflessVW] #5123691 06/03/19 05:39 AM
H
HYUNDAIFAN0001 Offline
H

Are you purposely this obtuse?

Shine is all well and good, because shiny paint years into ownership is the goal. The most basic care with the simplest products will achieve this. All of your buzzwords add up to one thing - attractive appearance throughout ownership. How far you want to take it is a personal decision, but to suggest that everyone needs to clay, polish, and select multiple top coats is absurd.

WOW - certain people obviously embrace insults. Shameful.

If people don't understand that the words shine, protection, and durability are not the same...either in definition or purpose...there are plenty of online tools to help.

For those who do know, they understand that proper preparation is key to the use of any product. Nothing new there, but for some folks it's perhaps "enlightening".

Re: Polish followed by waxing [Re: HYUNDAIFAN0001] #5123711 06/03/19 06:03 AM
Online Content
If you're insulted by the word obtuse, then grow some thicker skin. Your feelings are not really a concern of mine.

The end goal is a lasting attractive finish. You maintain a finish's appearance through protection. The more durable a product is, the less frequently you have to apply it.

So again, different strokes for different folks. Not everyone needs an eleventy-step detail to maintain their finish to their standards. I stand by my statement:

Re: Polish followed by waxing [Re: rooflessVW] #5123779 06/03/19 07:30 AM
H
HYUNDAIFAN0001 Offline
H
If you're insulted by the word obtuse, then grow some thicker skin. Your feelings are not really a concern of mine.

The end goal is a lasting attractive finish. You maintain a finish's appearance through protection. The more durable a product is, the less frequently you have to apply it.

So again, different strokes for different folks. Not everyone needs an eleventy-step detail to maintain their finish to their standards. I stand by my statement:

Insults are insults. Clearly you have some communication challenges.

On topic:

Wash, clay-bar, polish, and sealant wax are 4 steps the last time I counted them. Adding glaze after polish UV spray wax on top would be optional steps supporting a longer-lasting and deeper shine for those people with that goal.

There's a proven right way to do things..and there are shortcuts.

Durability and shortcuts are not the same. Band-aids and stitches serve different purposes and get different results.

Anyone who promotes a quick fix does people seeking lasting/quality vehicle exterior protection AND shine a dis-service.

Any disadvantages?
Thanks for the advice.

Using a sealant /wax on top of a polish can only improve the exterior protection of your vehicle. Note if they claim UV protection...as that is one of the most important aspects of a sealant or wax - it sustains the in-bedded UV protection in clear coat.

Re: Polish followed by waxing [Re: Gipple] #5123837 06/03/19 08:22 AM
G
gofast182 Offline
G
Leave it to HYUNDAIFAN0001 for our daily dose of detailing sanctimony.

2006 S2000 - Berlina Black - PU 10w30, PCX-004
2017 340i xDrive - Black Sapphire - Dlr Fill, 114...898
2019 X5 xDrive 40i - Mineral White - Dlr Fill, 114...898
Re: Polish followed by waxing [Re: gofast182] #5123841 06/03/19 08:24 AM
H
HYUNDAIFAN0001 Offline
H
Originally Posted by gofast182
Leave it to HYUNDAIFAN0001 for our daily dose of detailing sanctimony.

Thanks for your input.

News from the almost-Jersey Shore. Always enjoy it.

Re: Polish followed by waxing [Re: HYUNDAIFAN0001] #5123944 06/03/19 10:24 AM
Online Content
Any disadvantages?
Thanks for the advice.

Using a sealant /wax on top of a polish can only improve the exterior protection of your vehicle. Note if they claim UV protection...as that is one of the most important aspects of a sealant or wax - it sustains the in-bedded UV protection in clear coat.

Again, he is not currently using true polishes. He is using synthetic sealants labeled "polishes" by marketing teams.

Using Zymöl as a topper is something he could do, depending on which Zymöl he means. If it is the product most commonly found at auto parts stores in the US, it would be Zymöl Cleaner Wax, which could remove the sealant he has already applied. Likewise, Finish First has chemical cleaners that will remove anything underneath it.

If he wants to add a true Carnauba as a topper to add some depth and warmth, I would recommend Meguiar's M26.

Re: Polish followed by waxing [Re: Gipple] #5124100 06/03/19 12:49 PM
grampi Offline
AIO's work fine for most people. If you're OCD about your ride, I would recommend at least doing an initial full detail. That includes a wash, then claying the entire vehicle. This will tell you if any actual polish (and when I say polish, I mean a product with abrasives in it) is needed. Once the polishing is complete, then you can apply a good long lasting wax or sealant. This entire process shouldn't need to be done often, as once you've done it the first time, all that should be necessary after that is washing and reapplying the sealant as needed...

Re: Polish followed by waxing [Re: rooflessVW] #5124116 06/03/19 01:03 PM
PimTac Offline
Any disadvantages?
Thanks for the advice.

Again, he is not currently using true polishes. He is using synthetic sealants labeled "polishes" by marketing teams.

Using Zymöl as a topper is something he could do, depending on which Zymöl he means. If it is the product most commonly found at auto parts stores in the US, it would be Zymöl Cleaner Wax, which could remove the sealant he has already applied. Likewise, Finish First has chemical cleaners that will remove anything underneath it.

If he wants to add a true Carnauba as a topper to add some depth and warmth, I would recommend Meguiar's M26.

It’s my understanding that 26 also contains silicones and polymers so it is not a pure carnauba wax.

2017 Mazda CX5
Havoline Pro DS 0w20
Roki OEM filter.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™