Walmart HD SAE30 Okay for mowers? 30-CF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to buy walmart SAE30 for my mowers but Walmart discontinued it some months ago, I read others mention this too.
When it's colder than 45F, I use 10w-30, but prefer straight SAE30 in Summer because it burns off less than 10W-30.
I use 5w-30 for winter snowblower of course.

Apparently no one sells large containers of SAE30 at auto stores, big box hardware stores etc which is baffling, I guess they assume 10w-30 is more versitle and less prone to improper use but like [censored]? They usually have just quarts of SAE30.
10w-30 large containers for Fall/Spring I buy from anywhere really.

I did some googling and decided yes it's pretty much safe to use cheap walmart etc oil so I stuck with their quarts and mini size SAE30 for years no problem. Great price and always a fresh unopened bottle on hand.

I change oil often in various machines and I don't really want recommendations for some special order more expensive oil but thanks anyway. I don't have a tractor supply etc either really in case they might have large containers SAE30, I just hope this HD walmart stuff is fine and I'll stick with that.

Basically I'm only using SAE30 for lawn equipment, from handheld 4 stroke Honda 25cc GX25 machines to 190cc vertical shaft briggs/honda mower engines, to a 350-750cc bigger mower.
Actually when I get a new truck soon I want to learn to change oil because I've had my drain plug cross threaded to [censored] so many times and not even sure which place did it first, plus I think some places probably leave quite bit of the old oil in there. SAE30 seems to make sense for a truck too but I'll figure all that out later when the times comes, because again, baffling why SAE30 isn't sold in stores as if it's not made for cars?

I know full synthetic is better and much less changing intervals but I'm not sure if I should switch to full Synthetic for mowers/truck.

Anyway, even if this stuff I pictured is good for a mower, is it better than the non-HD stuff walmart used to sell? Will this burn off more? Or burn more toxicly from having more additives? Or will it maybe actually burn cleaner than the discontinued non-HD SAE30? I don't have piston ring or smoke problems, but just saying.

Pictured are two different types. I would like to use both if possible but not a problem if one is suggested over the other.

Thank You

first.JPG

1 (2).JPG

1 (3).JPG

1 (4).JPG

1 (5).JPG

1 (6).JPG

1 (7).JPG

1 (8).JPG

for reference,

a manual for a Husqvarna 4 stroke trimmer (uses a Honda GSX25 engine) says:
Quality class at least API SG. In general viscosity class SAE 10W-40 is recommended.

A snapper 21" with commercial 190cc briggs says : We recommend the use of Briggs & Stratton Warranty Certified
oils for best performance. Other high-quality detergent oils are
acceptable if classified for service SF, SG, SH, SJ or higher.
Do not use special additives.

a 344cc briggs 217807-0125-E1 says : "for service SF, SG, SH, SJ, or higher such as briggsstratton 30W. Do not use special additives."

I guess I can just google "understanding oil classes" or something like that and it seems probably these oils would be ok (but willing to search out cleaner-burning SAE 30 if possible, and also a but concerned about "Do not use Special Additives" maybe this "diesel or gasoline" 2 gallon one classifies as special additives to make it workable for Diesel.

Strange why Walmart would discontinue their SAE30 mower oil.

You have done your homework and either choice pictured should work well with your air cooled lawn equipment. The heavy duty CF/SG oil is suitable for older diesel engines and presumably has higher amount of ZDDP antiwear additive as well as more detergents and dispersants but it is duel rated SG for older gasoline engines and meets the requirements of your engine manufacturers. I think that that SAE 30 weight makes sense for air cooled engines used only in warm weather. The SN rated oil would be "cleaner burning" and preferable for any engine equipped with emission controls since the higher additive levels can damage catalytic converters. Now when you get your new truck, do the same homework and follow the manufacturers recommendations. That will not be the same oil that you are using in your air cooled lawn equipment.

Originally Posted by double vanos
Wow! I never thought a straight 30 would meet SN+.

That popped out for me as well- I thought a straight 30 could never meet SN let alone SN+.

They have not discontinued the SuperTech HD30 quarts. They sell plenty of it down here in Florida. Maybe your New York location, it wasn't a hot seller, as I imagine most folks up in NY would use 5W30 or 10W30.

I believe you can buy it off their website and have it shipped to your store for free.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-Conventional-SAE-HD-30-Motor-Oil-1-Quart/16565394

Either of those 30 weight oils are good stuff. The 2 gallon container would be annoying and heavy to use. I'd stock up on the quarts myself.

I've also seen Delo and Rotella in SAE30 at Walmart, another option.

Based on your location and climate, I'm not quite sure why you don't just buy and use Rotella/Delo 10W30?

Staight 30 is all I have used in my "fleet". Either one will do fine for you.

Last edited:
The HD 30 you have pictured in the quart bottle is what I'm currently running in my new Toro MX5400. It will do just fine.
Printed On: March 19, 2019
Description
WALMART HD 30 6/1QT WSE
Inspection Information Test Method Typical Value
Gravity, °API
ASTM D287
Specific Gravity @ 60°F (15.6°C) ASTM D4052 0.877
Flash Point, °C
ASTM D92
Flash Point, °F ASTM D92 410
Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt
ASTM D445
Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt ASTM D445 10.94
Viscosity Index
ASTM D2270
Pour Point, °C (°F) ASTM D5950 -33°C (-27°F)
High Temperature / High Shear Vis at 150°C, cP
ASTM D5481
Noack Volatility, % loss ASTM D6375 6.1
Color
ASTM D1500
Zinc, wt. % ASTM D5185 0.085
Phosphorus, wt. %
ASTM D5185
Calcium, wt. % ASTM D5185 0.132
Sulfur, wt. %
ASTM D4951
Magnesium, wt. % ASTM D5185 0.043
Boron, wt. %
ASTM D5185
Molybdenum, wt. % ASTM D5185 0.004
Sulfated Ash, wt. %
ASTM D874
Nitrogen, wt. % ASTM D4629 0.086
TBN, mgKOH/g
ASTM D2896

Claims Information
API SN PLUS
Approved
API SN Approved
API SM
Meets Requirements
API SL Meets Requirements
API SJ, SH, SG, SF, SE, SD, SC
Meets Requirements

I would use the HD 30, the 30 "CF" which is actually CF-2 is going to be a reduced sulfated ash Detroit Diesel rated 2 stroke diesel oil, which will work in a gas application, but will have reduced TBN base numbers, may turn acidic if left in too long. I'd still use it, but I would change it more often than the HD 30. Not sure where in NY you are, but some auto parts stores carry straight 30 as well-Chevron Delo 400 is a great one for OPE if you can find it.

I'd run the HD30 with the CF/SG rating, but frankly, either is OK.
You can also look at Rural King if you have in your area, Mobil Delvac 1630 is on the shelf.
Or Tractor Supply hasTraveller 30 weight diesel oil.
Grainger has several 30 weight oils and you can pick up the order. They even carry the unicorn Valvoline Fleet 30.
You have options.

I would be willing to put down a wager, a small one, that that "straight 30" is a 10w-30 as well. You can't get an "SN" without some significant synthetic content, and the VI of a synthetic blend gotta be greater than just a straight 30.

Originally Posted by double vanos
Wow! I never thought a straight 30 would meet SN+.

Me too.... how did that happen???

Originally Posted by punisher
I would be willing to put down a wager, a small one, that that "straight 30" is a 10w-30 as well. You can't get an "SN" without some significant synthetic content, and the VI of a synthetic blend gotta be greater than just a straight 30.

+1...

...it happened "like that"
wink.gif

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
.... a reduced sulfated ash Detroit Diesel rated 2 stroke diesel oil, which will work in a gas application, but will have reduced TBN base numbers, may turn acidic if left in too long. I'd still use it, but I would change it more often

"TAN" numbers will be going lower and lower anyway - -

since all gasoline is going "Ultra Low Sulphur"

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Originally Posted by punisher
+1... ...it happened "like that"
wink.gif

Gotcha!

That's Interesting

I just use synthetic 10W/30 in my lawn equipment. Better protection and less changes needed. Just top off as needed it you burn a little oil.

If you don't want to use a synthetic use a HDEO 10w30. They won't go away and hold up as well as a HD30.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
They have not discontinued the SuperTech HD30 quarts. They sell plenty of it down here in Florida. Maybe your New York location, it wasn't a hot seller, as I imagine most folks up in NY would use 5W30 or 10W30.

I believe you can buy it off their website and have it shipped to your store for free.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-Conventional-SAE-HD-30-Motor-Oil-1-Quart/16565394

Either of those 30 weight oils are good stuff. The 2 gallon container would be annoying and heavy to use. I'd stock up on the quarts myself.

I've also seen Delo and Rotella in SAE30 at Walmart, another option.

Based on your location and climate, I'm not quite sure why you don't just buy and use Rotella/Delo 10W30?

The pics I posted are the NEW stuff, the ones they seem to have discontinued say just SAE 30 Mower oil on them or something like that and are not HD.

HD SAE 30 had been previously suggested to me for the 344cc engine and I used Castrol HD straight 30 for that engine no problem.

Yes I did see Rotella diesel SAE 30 too but googled a bit on my phone and decided not to get it but that I would ask here or email the manufacturer if OK since I want SAE 30. I want SAE 30 because it burns off less in hot weather compared to multiweight 10w-30.

Overall the cleanliness of the fumes I want to keep as clean as possible, so that's why now I'm all paranoid about the additives in this Diesel (or gas) HD stuff. If I can find regular non - HD SAE30 'mower oil' do you think that would be at least slightly less toxic burn off than this HD diesel (or gas) stuff?

Last edited:
so wait, one said use the quart stuff since the 2 gallon is basically diesel 2 stroke oil. But others are saying the quart size with the SN rating is basically 10w-30.

Which is cleanest exhaust is all I really care about mostly.

Which true straight 30 is clean burning ? A non diesel I would assume.
And maybe I WILL try and find a way to get a case ordered to store or something so I'm not paying out the A for it to be delivered.
Or is it a small difference of fumes compared to these HD diesel Walmart supertech stuff? If so, I'm still confused which Walamrt one to stock up on.

If you are so paranoid about clean exhaust fumes and clean pipe....then try those emission oriented oils...like E6/E9 for HDEOs or ACEA C3 / MB 229.51/52.... BMW LL-04 / vw 504 /507
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back