Is Apple shutting down iTunes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by LeakySeals
It's being reported on the news that Apple is shutting down iTunes. Is that true? Why?

Because nobody buys digital music or movies any more. They pay to stream. Vinyl just hit a 30 year high, and piracy is on the rise again.

Am I behind again? I started buying some albums recently (after not for like 20 years); I thought about buying digital but figured that a real CD was something I could always rip into whatever format.

I like Netflix but it sure can be useless when the internet acts up.

It's being reported on the news that Apple is shutting down iTunes. Is that true? Why?

It's being horribly mis-framed.

Apple is shutting down iTunes as a "combined" or "one stop" source. The reason for this is that there is a more profitability and more flexibility in separate services.

So, we'll have, as Nickdfresh noted, Apple Music, Apple TV/Movies and Podcasts all as separate apps/services.

You'll still be able to stream and buy music, you'll just be doing it through Apple Music, like one does on an iPhone or iPad, rather than the iTunes app, which will be replaced by individual apps.

Unfortunately, yes. The "one stop shop" will be broken up. I stopped updating iTunes about 12.6 when they took away app management.

I'll hold judgment until after all the changes are made.

Originally Posted by Trav
About time, the program was real bloatware.

Horribly..... what a blight on the Apple name

I can't wait for dedicated software for each function (device backup and whatever else they choose to include), Apple Music, etc.

As a PC user, I don't look forward to the potential bugs and slow support.

As a preemptive measure, I've been backing up to iCloud and my laptop.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Apple is shutting down iTunes as a "combined" or "one stop" source. The reason for this is that there is a more profitability and more flexibility in separate services.

So, we'll have, as Nickdfresh noted, Apple Music, Apple TV/Movies and Podcasts all as separate apps/services.

You'll still be able to stream and buy music, you'll just be doing it through Apple Music, like one does on an iPhone or iPad, rather than the iTunes app, which will be replaced by individual apps.

I'm sure they can use it as an opportunity to introduce more DRM.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by gathermewool
As a PC user, I don't look forward to the potential bugs and slow support.

As a Linux PC user, I won't even notice. Any Windows user should rejoice.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

Because nobody buys digital music or movies any more. They pay to stream. Vinyl just hit a 30 year high, and piracy is on the rise again.

Pay to stream is a scam, does not support lesser known artist.

Last edited:
I downloaded and installed macOS Catalina on a secondary computer last night. I haven't had time to play with the new "Music" app yet other than opening it, but it appears to more or less act the same as the music functions of iTunes. I was able to re-download my purchased library, so even though I haven't gone searching for it I would assume that the store is intact.

The big question for me is if it will sync to an iPod classic-I'll try to test that out tonight.

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
Pay to stream is a scam, does not support lesser known artist.

None of it pays artists much any more. Royalties are nowhere near what they used to be.

For anyone so interested-here's a screen shot of the new Music app in macOS Catalina.

As you can see, the "iTunes store" is intact, and at least in Beta 1, from what I can see, functions exactly as it does on previous versions of iTunes.

Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 5.37.01 PM.png

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

I buy physical copies of movies, no streaming here. I don't stream music either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back