Pretty ships in world of warships

So time for a fleet update.

Today with the arrival of game update 8.1 a new Free XP Premium ship entered the game. A ship the WOWS community has called out for (at least NA players) for years now. It is the US Heavy (Large) Cruiser Alaska. For the low low price of just 1 Million Free XP you can have an Alaska LOL. I had it and while I wasn't one of those crying for the ship I decided to get it as I have all the other FXP ships and I generally like US ships in the game. Also, Alaska has Battleship caliber main guns on a Cruiser platform so what isn't to like. My only fear was that it would be a turd like the Russian Premium Heavy (Large) Cruiser Kronshtadt that Alaska replaces as the T9 FXP ship. That ship just flat out sucks because of the guns. I hate it and stopped playing it. Alaska is everything that ship wants to be and isn't!

Have only played 3 games so far but man I am in love. This thing fits my playstyle like a glove and those guns; those glorious, powerful, guns. They are very accurate and hit hard plus the HE starts a lot of fires. It isn't Battleship tough but it is tough enough. It's got good speed, good concealment, decent maneuverability, excellent AA, and just brutal guns. A truly fun ship.

Ship: USS ALASKA (CB-1)
Nation: United States Navy (USN)
Tier: 9 Premium
Ship Type: Heavy (Large) Cruiser(CA/CB)

Survivability(HP): 60,800 HP
Armor: 16-330MM / 13% Torpedo Damage Reduction
Maximum Speed: 33.0 knots
Turning Radius: 850m
Rudder Shift: 10.4 seconds
Detection By Sea: 12.2km
Detection By Air: 7.9km
Detection When Firing In Smoke: 12.1km

Main Armament: 3X3 305MM (2 turrets front/1 rear)
Main Gun Range: 19.0km
Rate Of Fire(ROF)/Reload(RL): 3.4 shots per min / 17.6 seconds
180 Degree Turret Rotation: 28.9 seconds
Shell Dispersion @ Max Range: 193m

Shell Type:
High Explosive(HE) = 4300 damage (27% chance of fire)
Armor Piercing(AP) = 8900 damage

Secondary Guns:
127MM = 6X2 (dual purpose)

Secondary Gun Range:
127MM = 6.3km (dual purpose)

Secondary Gun Rate Of Fire(ROF)/Reload(RL):
127MM = 10.0 shots per min / 6.0 seconds (dp)

Secondary Gun Shell Type:
127MM = High Explosive(HE) (dual purpose)

Anti Aircraft Defense(AA):
20MM = 34X1
40MM = 14X4
127MM = 6X2 (dual purpose)
Overall AA Rating = 68

Mounted Modules:
Slot 1 = Main Armaments Modification 1 (helps protect main guns and torpedo tubes from being damaged)
Slot 2 = Damage Control Systems Modification 1 (reduces risk of fire and flooding)
Slot 3 = Aiming Systems Modification 1 (-7% main gun dispersion / +5% secondary gun range / -5% secondary gun dispersion)
Slot 4 = Steering Gears Modification 2 (reduces rudder shift by 20%)
Slot 5 = Concealment System Modification 1 (+5% to enemy gun dispersion / -10% to detectability range)
Slot 6 = Main Battery Modification 3 (-12% main gun reload / +13% turret rotation speed)

Mounted Consumables:
Damage Control Party (stops fires and flooding + repairs damage to main guns, torpedo tubes, engine, and rudder)
Repair Party (heals back some of the damage taken)
Hydroacoustic Search (increases detection range of enemy ships and incoming torpedoes) (**)
Spotter Plane (detects any enemy ship within 9km / lasts 30 seconds / 180 second reload) (***)

* - consumables are manually activated special features. They have a limited active time then require a recharge period (sometimes lengthy) before you can use them again. All consumables have a premium version (II) available that cost resources and have to be purchased for each battle. The standard versions (I) are free and come mounted by default.

** - Alaska can slot Hydro or Defensive AA in this slot. I have chosen Hydro at this time.

*** - Alaska can slot Radar, Fighter Plane, or Spotter Plane in this slot. The Spotter provides the most benefit for me.

Camo:
Alaska comes with it's own Type 10 permanent camo. The camo provides the following benefits...

-3% Detectability Range By Sea
+4% Dispersion to Enemy Guns
-20% Post Battle Service Fee
+100% XP Earned

Captain:
I am running the US Special Captain William Halsey on Alaska. Halsey is assigned to the T9 tech tree ship Buffalo but because Alaska is a premium ship I can use any US Capt on it I want with no training required. This Capt has a full 19pts. I have assigned them as follows...

1pt = Priority Target (let's you know when you are targeted and by how many)
1pt = Incoming Fire Alert (let's you know when a ship targeting you shoots)
1pt = Preventative Maintenance (less chance of a turret being damaged and if it is faster repairs)
1pt = Expert Loader (reduces the time required to swap ammo types in guns already loaded) (*)
2pts = Expert Marksman (increases turret rotation speed so they swing faster ) (**)
2pt = Adrenaline Rush (-0.2% reload time to all armaments for every 1% HP lost)
3pt = Superintendent (+1 charges to all mounted consumables)
4pt = Concealment Expert (reduces the ship's detection range by -10%)
4pt = Advanced Fired Training (+20% secondary gun range / +15% Damage to Long and Medium range AA)

* = this is an enhanced skill for Halsey. Normal skill reduces ammo swapping by -50%. Halsey reduces it by -75%

** = this is an enhanced skill for Halsey. Normal skill increases the turret rotation speed by +2.5%. Halsey increases it by 3%.

United States Navy T9 Premium CA/CB USS Alaska w/ Type 10 perma camo (Port = Pearl Harbor, Hawaii):
[Linked Image]

I have only played 3 games so far in it. Note I have been experimenting with how it earns so game 1 is a lot of flags, game 2 is just a couple, and game 3 is none.

1st Game:
[Linked Image]

2nd Game:
[Linked Image]

3rd Game:
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Another ship has joined the fleet.

Recently added the just released British T5 Premium Heavy Cruiser (CA) Exeter. I really like the British Light Cruiser (CL) line in the game and this is the 1st CA they have added. The Exeter has HE rounds available to it unlike the CL's that only have AP (T7 Premium CL Belfast has HE). It also has 203MM guns unlike the other British Cruisers which all have 152MM (T3+). It comes at a cost though. Exeter does not get a smoke screen like all the CL's T5+ and it's 203MM guns take a whopping 15 seconds to reload. It is armored just as thinly/poorly as the CL's so the loss of that smoke hurts. Overall it is decent. Not great but decent.

Ship: HMS EXETER (Pennant Number 68)
Nation: British Royal Navy (BRN)
Tier: 5 Premium
Ship Type: Heavy Cruiser(CA)

Survivability(HP): 29,400 HP
Armor: 6-140MM / 4% Torpedo Damage Reduction
Maximum Speed: 23.0 knots
Turning Radius: 650m
Rudder Shift: 8.4 seconds
Detection By Sea: 9.6km
Detection By Air: 5.1km
Detection When Firing In Smoke: 6.1km

Main Armament: 3X2 203MM (2 turrets front/1 rear)
Main Gun Range: 14.3km
Rate Of Fire(ROF)/Reload(RL): 4.0 shots per min / 15.0 seconds
180 Degree Turret Rotation: 20.0 seconds
Shell Dispersion @ Max Range: 122m

Shell Type:
High Explosive(HE) = 2850 damage (15% chance of fire)
Armor Piercing(AP) = 4550 damage

Secondary Guns:
102MM = 4X2 (dual purpose)

Secondary Gun Range:
102MM = 4.2km (dual purpose)

Secondary Gun Rate Of Fire(ROF)/Reload(RL):
102MM = 20.0 shots per min / 3.0 seconds (dual purpose)

Secondary Gun Shell Type:
102MM = High Explosive(HE) (dual purpose)

Torpedoes: 2X3 533MM
Torpedo Reload(RL): 72.0 seconds
Torpedo Range: 8.0km
Torpedo Speed: 61 knots
Torpedo Max Damage (p/ torp): 15,867
Torpedo Detection Range: 1.3km

Anti Aircraft Defense(AA):
12.7MM = 2X4
40MM = 2X8
102MM = 4X2 (dual purpose)
Overall AA Rating = 32

Mounted Modules:
Slot 1 = Main Armaments Modification 1 (helps protect main guns and torpedo tubes from being damaged)
Slot 2 = Damage Control Systems Modification 1 (reduces risk of fire and flooding)
Slot 3 = Aiming Systems Modification 1 (-7% main gun dispersion / +5% secondary gun range / -5% secondary gun dispersion)
Slot 4 = N/A
Slot 5 = N/A
Slot 6 = N/A

Mounted Consumables:
Damage Control Party (stops fires and flooding + repairs damage to main guns, torpedo tubes, engine, and rudder)
Repair Party (heals back some of the damage taken)
Hydroacoustic Search (increases detection range of enemy ships and incoming torpedoes)
Fighter Plane (2 Fighters / lasts 60 seconds / 121.5 second reload)

* - consumables are manually activated special features. They have a limited active time then require a recharge period (sometimes lengthy) before you can use them again. All consumables have a premium version (II) available that cost resources and have to be purchased for each battle. The standard versions (I) are free and come mounted by default.

Camo:
Exeter comes with it's own Type 9 permanent camo. The camo provides the following benefits...

-3% Detectability Range By Sea
+4% Dispersion to Enemy Guns
-10% Post Battle Service Fee
+50% XP Earned

Captain:
I am using multiple Capt's on Exeter right now as none of the existing ones I have really work ideally with it. I need to start a separate Capt for it. Not listing the Capt skills as it varies so much from game to game depending on which Capt I use (Premium ships can use any Capt from that Nation with no training fees)

British Royal Navy T5 Premium CA HMS Exeter w/ Type 9 perma camo (Port = London, England):
[Linked Image]

1st Game:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Haven't posted for a while. Still play a lot just haven't had the time to update this thread. I might actually let it die out but for now I will update a bit here ad there still.

The new CV's (Carriers) are here and they have created quite a stir with the player base. I am not a huge fan of them but at least in the mode I play (Co-op) I don't have to face them as there is no current AI to run the enemy bot's in a CV. It is coming and will eventually be added though.

It is a completely new playstyle vs the old one and it exchanges multiple attacks per squad (3-4) for lower damage per strike. In the old system you got 1 attack run and then the planes had to go back to the CV to rearm. The damage done when a CV hit you was big and could take a ship right out from 100%. In this system as said you can attack up to 3 or even 4 times (depends on which CV and the tier) per squad (squad breaks into smaller groups for the attack) but the damage is much lower. It takes many runs with many squads to sink a ship if you even can. They went from Alpha Strike to death by a thousand cuts. It's like being attacked by a swarm of black flies now. And, to make it worse, they basically made planes infinite for the CV. You can shoot planes down still but over time they regenerate on the CV so it really can't ever be deplaned. It can just not have any available to launch. The old CV's could be deplaned as they had a finite number. WG also messed around with AA and really screwed it up. They also increased the number of CV's p/ team in all modes too which has not gone over well. They also had the new CV's go live 2 updates ago even though they acknowledged they weren't ready and needed work but decided to use the players as guinea pigs.

The rework overall is not liked by a big majority of the players and many long time players have left the game over it. I am glad I don't play the modes where you have to face CV's honestly. I actually liked it under the old system because you could build your ships and Capt's for AA defense and defend yourself (well many ships could). Now not so much. CV's just constantly are there attacking you when they are in a match. I am not really looking forward to them coming back for the AI side where I play.

In some of the recent events we have had that coincide with the rework have been chances to earn some of the new British CV's or win outright the 4 Premium CV's there are. While I don't like the rework and think WG royally screwed it up free stuff is free stuff. I have earned the available free BRN CV's (only kept the T8 - sold the T4 and T6), earned a free perma camo for the BRN T8 CV, and got lucky and won all 4 Premium CV's from crates. I have them so I may as well play them. I also decided I may as well do the CV lines to T10 as well as I have done every other ship class and line to T10. I have the BRN T8 from the event so starting there with it. I jumped up to the T6 Ranger in the US line to start there for US. I am not doing the Japanese line yet. If I ever finish the other 2 I will do it. The new CV's are VERY hard to play and do well in. I have exactly 1 game over 100K in damage so far in about 75 played. 50-60K seems to be the average.

So here are my current CV's...

T6 US CV Ranger:
[Linked Image]

T8 US Premium CV Enterprise:
[Linked Image]

T8 US Premium CV Saipan:
[Linked Image]

T8 German Premium CV Graf Zeppelin:
[Linked Image]

T8 Japanese Premium CV Kaga:
[Linked Image]

T8 British CV Implacable w/ Event Permanent Camo:
[Linked Image]

The Russian tech tree Battleship's have arrived. There has been early access to 4 of them before the full line drops in the next update. To get them you had to get missions in crates and then play to earn a set amount of XP to unlock each one. I was lucky and got all 4 Missions.

As a whole the RU BB line sees very strong guns that hit hard, they are super accurate when up close and Stevie Wonder throwing rocks accurate at range, and they have decent speed for BB's as well. Their armor is great when you can go bow on and angle to incoming fire but if you give up your side (can't always be avoided) it is like you are armed with tissue paper (the new tech tree RU BB's are the easiest I have seen to 1 shot from full health to dead). They maneuver like drunk pregnant whales and the secondary guns are abysmal. They also take FOREVER to reload with a 33 sec standard reload across the board. Overall the line is very strong in some areas and very weak in others. I like the T5 and T8 a LOT! The T6 and T7 don't do a thing for me.

I already have enough XP earned on the T8 Vladivostok to get the T9 when the full line goes live. Will only need about 190K and I already have over 240K+ on it with a couple weeks to go so no worries there LOL. I might get it and then use Free XP to get the T10 at the same time. Actually, the RU BB tech tree line will have 2 T10's; Kreml and Slava. Might get both the day they drop?

Have a Capt to 18pts on Vladivostok and hope to get him to 19pts (the max) by the time the line drops. Eventually he will be on one of the T10's. Just depends on how soon I get them. I will need to get to work on a couple more as I plan to keep the T8 and T9 and play them often and I want good Capt's on them. I have 30+ 10pt RU Capt's sitting in my Reserves unused so it will be a good start. I might even take the 19pt Capt I use on all my RU Premium Light Cruisers and transfer him to one of the BB's and start a new one for them as I will play the BB's a lot more.

[Linked Image]

Here they are (+ best games so far - T8 is best overall game + best game in a win)...

T5 Pyotr Velikiy: (a VERY strong and good BB - might be the best T5 BB in the game)
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T6 Izmail: (it's just average at best and *****!)
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T7 Sinop: (I do not like this one at all and like the T6 it is *****!)
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T8 Vladivostok: (my favorite of the 4 and a monster - 2nd photo is the special Victory Banner perma camo for it I won)
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I also was able to get a free Premium T7 Russian Cruiser with tokens. The Lazo…
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Have moved up to the T8 US CV Lexington. They did away with odd tier CV's (for now anyway) in the CV rework so I went from the T6 to the T8 with no T7 in between as with other ship types. Next stop is the T10 Midway but it will take 330K XP to get there and I only have 27K so far on the T8. So going to be a while.

The T5 and T6 CV's in the new system are awful. Just too weak. T8 starts to get better. If you are top tier (other ships would be T6 and T7) or only facing other T8's they are good but if you face T9 or T10 as bottom tier they are not so good LOL. Mostly T8's are bottom tier and it is brutal facing those T9 and T10 AA ships. But you do your best.

I have a perma camo for it I won at some point in the past. I think it was a Halloween event as it is themed that way. I forgot I even had it as I never played CV's. Was pleased to see it there as it saved me 3k doubloons not having to buy the regular perma camo for it. I kind of like this one. I am slowly learning these new CV's and getting better. It is hard to play them as you actually fly the planes themselves and the slightest twitch makes them change course and with my MS affecting my hands it can be a problem at times. But I keep at it.

T8 US CV Lexington: (w/ and w/o the special perma camo)
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My best game in it so far...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
2 More new ships...

1st is the Japanese T6 CV Ryujo. Not a huge fan of the lower tier CV's as they are so weak offensively and vs flak but it's ok I guess.

Port:
[Linked Image]

Best game so far with it:
[Linked Image]

2nd is the T9 Russian BB Sovetsky Soyuz. The full line was finally released yesterday. I had more than enough XP sitting on the T8 I won an early access mission to (see 2 posts above) to research the T9. I used Free XP to fully upgrade the T9 and am now working towards the T10 (Kreml). It's "ok". Not bad but definitely not great. I prefer the T8 to the T9 by a large margin.The guns are good but over pen a lot whereas the T8 gets far more regular pens (more damage than an over pen) and many more citadels. Still, they are very good and the best thing about the T9. It is slow and very sluggish though which makes playing it a chore because you have to plan so far ahead. LIke all Russian BB's it is very tough when angled properly but if you show the side it's a quick trip back to port.

Port (w/ it's Perma Camo):
[Linked Image]

Best game so far with it:
[Linked Image]

And one last thing. I am about 1/2 way to the T10 US CV Midway. It takes a ton of XP (330,000) to research it from the T8 Lexington. It is really hard to have good games in CV's when playing Co-op as the new CV game play is designed to do small amounts of damage over a long game to build your damage. Most Co-op games are 4-7 minutes long so it is really hard to do well in them. As a result you don't get a lot of XP and credits. If you have a game that goes for a while you can do ok. I am getting better with them and am now regularly scoring 70-80K damage in a normal fast game and 100K-125K in a longer game. Haven't even sniffed at a 200K game yet but hope to break that mark at some point down the road.

My best CV game so far:
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I occasionally play WOW but it seems im always against bots or I have some dude that just Kamikazes his ship into mine while launching a TON of torpedoes. I play a lot of WOT blitz.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
I occasionally play WOW but it seems im always against bots or I have some dude that just Kamikazes his ship into mine while launching a TON of torpedoes. I play a lot of WOT blitz.

I tried regular WOT but it wasn't my thing. I greatly prefer WOWS with the ship vs ship combat.

Well, after 2 1/2 years and over 13,000 games I FINALLY broke 300K in a Co-op game. The new Russian T10 BB Kreml is an absolute monster.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by NHHEMI
Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta

I tried regular WOT but it wasn't my thing. I greatly prefer WOWS with the ship vs ship combat.

Try WOT blitz. I don't care for the original version.

So time for a quick update...

1. - Have reached the Japanese T8 CV Shokaku. Port shot and 1st game results below. Ship is still stock.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

2. - I seem to have finally figured out the US T10 CV Midway. After initially struggling in it and be disappointed a small change in playstyle has swung all of that around and I now am doing very well in it. Had my best ever to date CV game in it as shown below...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

3 more added to fleet...
05.gif

IJN T10 CV Hakuryu. This leaves only the British T10 CV and I have finished the CV lines all to T10 (all ship/nation lines, CV/BB/Cruiser/DD, currently in the game actually). Also picked up the new US T5 Premium DD Hill and the US T9 Premium BB Georgia.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Finally did it. Have acquired every "current" tech tree ship in the game. It took 2.5+ years but I got there. Now the only ones I won't have are new lines that come out.

The final T10 to finish was the British T10 CV Audacious
[Linked Image]

WG is releasing a new line (figures; just as I finish up LOL) with the next update this month. French DD's. They are having a big pre-release event this month as they usually do for a new line. Chances to win early access to the T5-T8 DD's by getting missions in crates (got all 4) and by buying bundles you have the chance at the T9 as well. I bought a couple bundles and it dropped so I already am at T9 when the line comes out so won't take much to get to T10. Not a big fan of the French DD's as they have awful concealment and no smoke. But free ships are free ships. Part of the event is working towards getting a free T5 Premium French DD and earning event tokens. With the tokens I got all 4 of the special perma camos for the T5-T8 DD's so that saves me spending money on them. The T9 came with it. The camo looks EXACTLY the same for all of them so I will only show it on the T9.

T5 Jaguar
[Linked Image]

T6 Guepard
[Linked Image]

T7 Vauquelin
[Linked Image]

T8 La Fantasque
[Linked Image]

T9 Mogador (this is the one showing the special perma camo they all have)
[Linked Image]

I also picked up the new French Premium Light Cruiser Bayard. Man is it fun. Takes damage very easy but it is a blast to play.
[Linked Image]

And WG just announced the Italian Cruiser line is coming. Probably mid fall we will see it. So another line to get to T10. DOHHH! LOL

Last edited:
French DD event directives are complete. Another ship for the port now. Won/earned the T5 Premium French DD Siroco which became my 200th ship in port. The 200th ship earned me a special Collectors emblem to use on my profile too.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited:
Couple new ships...

Russian T10 Premium Light Cruiser Smolensk. Cost 244,000 Coal to buy and worth every lump LOL. Just an insane rate of fire (16 130MM guns every 4.5 sec). Really a fun ship but easily deleted as the armor is almost non existent. Have had some really good games in it so far.

Pan-European (Dutch) T9 Premium Destroyer Friesland. Cost 1 Million Free XP or $77 USD. A very odd DD. Only 4 120MM guns (fire fast @1.8 sec but little to no damage from them) and no torpedoes. The AA is amazing but the rest of the ship is very mediocre at best. IT doesn't even have good detection. No torpedoes on a DD in the game mode I play makes it next to useless most of the time. A very expensive ship but was given it (funds to buy) by a friend who likes to watch me play the game. I would not have bought it otherwise. Have only had mediocre games so far as I expected.

Hey all.

Been a long time since I last posted. Got sick last summer and on into the fall and while I still played the game I sort of stopped posting here. Kind of gave up on it. But, have received some PM's recently asking how I am and asking if I am still playing, anything new, etc... So I will give a general update of sorts. Not sure if I will resume at the old pace but will try and do periodic updates for those who still care and want to know...
thumbsup2.gif

So where to start? Guess the fleet. I am up to 276 ships now (135 Premiums). Have every current line ground out to T10. WG just came out with a new line; the British Heavy Cruisers. This last month has seen early access to the T5-T8 (random drops in bundles you get with tokens or doubloons) and I got the T5/T6/T8. I have the XP on the T6 to get the T7 and on the T8 to get the T9 when the next update drops in a few days and the entire line goes live. I will probably just FXP and get the T10 at that time too so that will finish off that new line.

I am up to 34 19pt Capt's. I have so many ships though that I have tons more to finish off. Have a lot in the 15-18pt range but it takes so much Capt XP to move to the next point at those levels it takes a long time. But they just keep on appearing. Sort of like rabbits breeding
lol.gif
. Capt's in WOWS come in 3 categories. Legendary Captains (these are famous real life figures from various Navies with a lot of extra perks and also some enhanced Captain skills - they are the most desirable and hard to get - I have all of them in game except for the Japanese one - Yamamoto - as I don't play the mode required to get him or I would have him), Special Captains (these are generally a person of some fame although not for Naval history or someone they made up with a few enhanced Captain skills - you can buy them with real money or in game resources or earn them through missions and they are better usually than a regular Captain although some of them are just a celebrity type with nothing extra at all), and then Standard Captains. Here are the 19pt ones...

And I guess to close it out here are some shots of the best game I have had to date in the game. Was in the T10 Russian BB Kreml. It is still about 100K in damage short of the WOWS Co-op damage record but it is in the top 100 of all time on all servers which isn't bad considering there have been MILLIONS of Co-op games played.

That's about it I guess. Will try and post a bit more often with updates.

Regards to all.
34.gif

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
More importantly, how's your health? Are things better? Good to see you are still enjoying the game though
smile.gif

I am as good as I will get. Kind of a slow never ending decline (MS). I had a major relapse last year (1st real bad spell since the initial diagnosis in 2009) and it hit me hard. I have only really recovered here in say the last 3-4 weeks. Was worried for a while there as I just had no strength, energy, or stamina but it seems ok now. I can still take care of myself, walk, drive, etc... but work is pretty much not happening anymore other than some easy now and then things. Money is tight but no complaints. I could be so much worse off than I am so there is that. Yeah, the game is something I can do each day and it eats up a lot of hours.

Thanks.

Back